Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VHI Multi-trip-Can I fight this?

• 24-02-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Was away in Austria last month and had my phone stolen. It was a HTC Desire smart phone (I know-ouch!), Sim Free value €425 (Carphone Warehouse), got it as a present at xmas (i know-double ouch!), so i got the police report etc,

VHI Multi-trip have a personal effects insurance for up to €400 but I rang them up to see how they were assessing the claim and they told me that there is a clause in the small print that only covers the cost of a mobile phone up to a €100, then theres a €85 excess and the phone value is subject to depreciation! From the sounds of things I could be lucky to get a tenner from them?:mad:

Is this right? Could I argue that it was a PDA or something? Could I say a smartphone and a mobile phone are two completely different devices?? Any advice or am I screwed and should I just move on and forget it-small print being small print and all that!

Im really starting to wonder what the point of insurance is lately!! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The devil is in the detail, I guess.

Do you have separate phone insurance? (presumably not, if it was a gift)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

Nah, thought about it but only had it a month really, thought the travel insurance would cover it for while I was away & I could sort it for everyday phone insurance when I got back! Doh!

Hindsight is 20/20 i guess! Raging though-seems like such a cop out by them-surely theres a higher percentage of people who have smartphones than anything else these days?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That's pretty common in travel insurance - it's difficult to find a policy that actually covers any high value item.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

Ah well, suppose thats it!

Back to my stone age sony! :(:(

Advertisement