Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are fares going up on Dec 1?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    How about one that stops for him for a start? and you're not jammed in like sardines

he said the bus was full. so if its full and he was let on that would mean he would be jammed in like sardines.
    That shows up when it's supposed to 99% of the time

build more bus lanes and have more bus priority.
    That isn't infested with the antisocial element plaguing some routes

thats not going to stop. many cities have that problem. they have to travel some way and are whether we like it or not, i don't but its what i know to expect.
    That are clean and comfortable and you're not jammed in like sardines

i find them comfortable to be honest. bigger busses or people moving down the bus and up stairs via an anouncement from the driver would help a lot.
    That doesn't cost almost as much as the same trip by car or take twice as long

call for a higher subsidy. some routes have to take twice as long as they have to go in to areas along the route to make sure the people have some access to the bus network.
    That doesn't take unnecessary detours into "An Lar" or every random housing estate it passes

no bus takes unnecessary detours. they have a route they follow to ensure as much access to public transport as possible. rightly so as everyone is entitled to where possible have some access to public transport.
    That doesn't sit parked up for 15-20 mins because DB can't manage its driver changes properly

who says the driver didn't get delayed? but maybe a driver change at the terminus should be looked at instead where possible.
    That has an easy-to-use, reliable efficient fully integrated ticket system

that is coming, all though the passengers should write and email pestering the relevant people until such ticketing system is delivered.
    That stops pissing away money on new buses that are arguably worse than the ones they replace and which themselves have plenty of life left in them given how they go on to another few years of private operator service

i'd say the days of that nonsense have come to an end now

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

build more bus lanes and have more bus priority.

How do you explain two buses in a row not showing up when the stop I was at was only their 5th stop (a mere 2km journey on an extremely quiet road).

People claim traffic is the reason for buses not being timely or turning up at the prescribed time when it is in fact down to the inefficiency of Dublin Bus and laziness of the drivers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Monife wrote: »
    How do you explain two buses in a row not showing up when the stop I was at was only their 5th stop (a mere 2km journey on an extremely quiet road).

People claim traffic is the reason for buses not being timely or turning up at the prescribed time when it is in fact down to the inefficiency of Dublin Bus and laziness of the drivers.

There's 2 legs to the service, outbound and inbound. Excessive traffic on one leg will cause delays for the other. This was more visible during all those demonstrations and protests around the dáil and on O'Connell bridge during peak commuting times.

I'm unsure if the laziness of drivers is still as prevelant as it used to be, where they'd loiter amongst themselves one service after the other making their way to the terminus. My da (a driver himself) was surprised by how much he saw it 14/15 years ago. I'd expect there may be some sort of monitoring in place now that they should all have GPS as well. Which should clamp down on that, so if you see a bus that should be in service not doing anything, chances are higher the driver has been told to wait up and pull off for the next time slot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its ridiculous that cash fares are still been taken on board buses in this day and age.

Lapin wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that cash fares are still been taken on board buses in this day and age.

Since London only abolished them a few months ago, we probably will in 20 years from now. :pac:

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Since London only abolished them a few months ago, we probably will in 20 years from now. :pac:

That soon !

The London Underground opened 151 years ago and we're still trying to join two tram lines together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I don't know the first thing about you, but I'll just assume you're lazy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I don't think it is rediculous that cash fares still exist. Genuine question what do people do on the London buses then if they don't have Oyster cards or the like? Such as tourists/infrequent visitors to the captial from 'the country'?

I for one would only use Dublin bus on the very odd occasion so would pay cash for the journey. I know to have exact change or near enough as they don't do change, but that's about it.

its to do with traffic. they are probably one or to lazy drivers, every company has someone not pulling their weight, the bigger the company the harder it is to find them

hdowney wrote: »
    Genuine question what do people do on the London buses then if they don't have Oyster cards or the like? Such as tourists/infrequent visitors to the captial from 'the country'?

Buy an Oyster when they arrive in London. They're available everywhere. Hundreds of newsagents, off licenses, shops as well as tube and rail stations.

Just top us what they need to as they go along and cash the card in to get their deposit back before they leave town if they want.

While its good that you have the correct change, many people don't, thus slowing everyone down not to mention leaving the driver vulnerable to robberies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If I buy another 30 day rambler tomorrow, or before the price rise date, I assume I will get it at the old price. Just checking like!

And of course, next question.... I already have twenty days left on my current 30 dayer, so I presume the new one that I'm buying tomorrow will have extended validity?

I use the bus about twice a week for several journeys per day. The 30 day rambler is far better value than the DB cap on Leap fpr me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you buy a new Rambler, does it expire at the end of the calender year in which you buy it, or does it expire 12 months on from when you buy it? My current Rambler expires in December, but I can't remember when I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If I buy another 30 day rambler tomorrow, or before the price rise date, I assume I will get it at the old price. Just checking like!

And of course, next question.... I already have twenty days left on my current 30 dayer, so I presume the new one that I'm buying tomorrow will have extended validity?

I use the bus about twice a week for several journeys per day. The 30 day rambler is far better value than the DB cap on Leap fpr me anyway.

It will continue to use the days from your current "live" Rambler,with the new Rambler being stored as part of the 5 products allowed on each card.

It should automatically switch to your new Rambler when the current one expires,however,inexplicably,the expired product will continue to be retained on the card to confuse both staff and customers alike when checking for live products on a card.....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

What about annual tickets ?? Are they increasing them as well ??

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you buy a new Rambler, does it expire at the end of the calender year in which you buy it, or does it expire 12 months on from when you buy it? My current Rambler expires in December, but I can't remember when I bought it.

Second option,12 months from month of purchase.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cheers, thanks for that.

There's 2 legs to the service, outbound and inbound. Excessive traffic on one leg will cause delays for the other. This was more visible during all those demonstrations and protests around the dáil and on O'Connell bridge during peak commuting times.

I'm unsure if the laziness of drivers is still as prevelant as it used to be, where they'd loiter amongst themselves one service after the other making their way to the terminus. My da (a driver himself) was surprised by how much he saw it 14/15 years ago. I'd expect there may be some sort of monitoring in place now that they should all have GPS as well. Which should clamp down on that, so if you see a bus that should be in service not doing anything, chances are higher the driver has been told to wait up and pull off for the next time slot.

Considering the two buses were to show up at 7.05am and 7.15am, I doubt traffic was the cause of the no shows seeing as the outbound journey would have supposedly arrived at the end destination at around 6.55am to then commence the inward journey.

Considering the two buses were to show up at 7.05am and 7.15am, I doubt traffic was the cause of the no shows seeing as the outbound journey would have supposedly arrived at the end destination at around 6.55am to then commence the inward journey.
    maybe it arrived on one of the legs late. got stuck in traffic.

Bus bunching definitely isn't just a Dublin Bus phenomenon, there's even a Wikipedia article on it.

Karsini wrote: »
    Bus bunching definitely isn't just a Dublin Bus phenomenon, there's even a Wikipedia article on it.

Spoilsport...GRrrrrrrrr :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

How about one that stops for him for a start? :)

- That shows up when it's supposed to 99% of the time
    - That isn't infested with the antisocial element plaguing some routes
    - That are clean and comfortable and you're not jammed in like sardines
    - That doesn't cost almost as much as the same trip by car or take twice as long
    - That doesn't take unnecessary detours into "An Lar" or every random housing estate it passes
    - That doesn't sit parked up for 15-20 mins because DB can't manage its driver changes properly
    - That has an easy-to-use, reliable efficient fully integrated ticket system
    - That stops pissing away money on new buses that are arguably worse than the ones they replace and which have plenty of life left in them given how they go on to another few years of private operator service

Hell, I'd even consider a service like that :)

hate much?

maybe it arrived on one of the legs late. got stuck in traffic.

Both buses, seriously? I'd find it hard to get stuck in traffic at 6am, let alone a bus with the use of bus lanes all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lxflyer wrote: »
    At this stage the amount they get is nowhere near what it ought to be in terms of numbers carried.

Or... they just start cracking down on the rampant abuse of this scheme so that only genuine cases and paying passengers can actually get on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Or... they just start cracking down on the rampant abuse of this scheme so that only genuine cases and paying passengers can actually get on the bus.

This is coming very soon with a significant expansion of personnel about to be deployed as Ticket Checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

In about 3.5 years, the taxsaver ticket for just Dublin Bus has gone from €980 to €1320, a 35% increase.

Obviously there's tax saved on that, and this works out as:
    2011 high tax rate - €480
    2014 high tax rate - €647

2011 low tax rate - €690
    2014 low tax rate - €911

On the low rate tax saver ticket now, you are almost paying as much as a full price ticket from 2011.
    Prices pulled from: http://web.archive.org/web/20110321182728/http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/

Where is all the extra money from these incessant price hikes going?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There are new smart cards being distributed, so only those will be valid for the free travel scheme. However I'm unsure when they will be mandatory from.

The issue at the moment, from a discussion I had with someone (a few years ago), was that Social Welfare didn't seem to challenge why someone who shouldn't have a Pass did, nor why someone who should have one, needed to get replacements. There were drawers in Dublin Bus' offices full of'em. A secondary issue is with how prevalent forgeries of those passes were too.

The new card is a step in the right direction, but because it's on the way, the issues with the current system are just being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,830 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

beglee wrote: »
    <snip>
    Where is all the extra money from these incessant price hikes going?
    firstly, CIE or the transport operator gets the full amount of cash for the ticket, its the goverment who takes the hit on lower tax income.

so.....
    you should ask is "who is paying the difference" (of a governmental spend on what is far from an essential item).
    And the answer is, it just adds to the gov defecit meaning the cash is borrowed.

And that means that your saving on the travel ticket is going to be paid by future generations in repayments on government debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

firstly, CIE or the transport operator gets the full amount of cash for the ticket, its the goverment who takes the hit on lower tax income.

so.....
    you should ask is "who is paying the difference" (of a governmental spend on what is far from an essential item).
    And the answer is, it just adds to the gov defecit meaning the cash is borrowed.

And that means that your saving on the travel ticket is going to be paid by future generations in repayments on government debt.
    That has nothing to do with what I asked, and is a completely separate issue.

As you say the transport operator gets the full amount. And that full amount has gone up 35% in 3.5 years. Where does it all go?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

beglee wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with what I asked, and is a completely separate issue.

As you say the transport operator gets the full amount. And that full amount has gone up 35% in 3.5 years. Where does it all go?

Much of it goes to make up the reduced government subvention which in turn could finance the tax credit?

• Advertisement

it would need to be both to be honest

Advertisement