Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are fares going up on Dec 1?

• 28-10-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

There was a link on the Irish Rail website a few moments ago, gone now, to revised fares from Dec 1 2014?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Leap fares appear to be going up by a fixed % with no rounding, that is likely to drive some people with OCDs about round numbers (I know a fair few!) up the wall

The caps aren't changing for now anyway, so this is likely to result in more people who don't use the train 5+ days a week moving to Leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Main changes to Dublin Bus:

Cash fares
    - Fares increase by 8% approximately
    - Over 13 stages, Outer Suburban 1 and Outer Suburban 2 merged into one fare
    - Xpresso one zone and two zones merged into one fare

LEAP Fares:
    - Differential between LEAP and cash fares further widened as cash fares increase by much higher percentage
    - 4-7 stages and 8-13 stages merged into one fare
    - Over 13 stages, Outer Suburban 1 and Outer Suburban 2 merged into one fare
    - Xpresso one zone and two zones merged into one fare
    - Capping levels to remain the same but will now all outer suburban fares and Xpresso fares will contribute to the cap
    - Second journey discount to be offered where 2nd journey starts within 90 minutes of the first (Discount is €1 for adults/students and €0.70 for children)

Travel 90 Ticket to be withdrawn in Q1 2015

Revised fares:

ADULT FARES:
    1-3 Stages €1.95 Cash / €1.50 LEAP
    4-7 Stages €2.55 Cash / €2.05 LEAP
    8-13 Stages €2.80 Cash / €2.05 LEAP
    Over 13 Stages €3.30 Cash / €2.60 LEAP
    Xpresso €3.60 Cash / €2.85 LEAP
    City Centre €0.75 Cash / €0.60 LEAP
    Nitelink €6.50 Cash / €5.00 LEAP

CHILD FARES:
    Schoolchild €0.95 Cash / €0.75 LEAP
    1-7 Stages €1.15 Cash / €0.90 LEAP
    Over 7 Stages €1.40 Cash / €1.10 LEAP
    Xpresso €1.50 Cash / €1.20 LEAP
    City Centre €0.75 Cash / €0.60 LEAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yep...saw it on the journal this morning.

Gives me a mind to save up for driving lessons :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    - Second journey discount to be offered where 2nd journey starts within 90 minutes of the first (Discount is €1 for adults/students and €0.70 for children)

Travel 90 Ticket to be withdrawn in Q1 2015

Balls. Someone needing 2 x 13+stage journeys a day will go from €5.50 to €6.90. (I occasionally need to do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

n97 mini wrote: »
    Balls. Someone needing 2 x 13+stage journeys a day will go from €5.50 to €6.90. (I occasionally need to do this)

You have the option of the 5 day rambler for €5.90 a day or the 30 day one for €4.90 a day. It can be used on non consecutive days so it can be good value for occasional users too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea this makes sense - sure we're in "Recovery" now so let's hike the fares and push more people into their cars! As if falling passenger numbers wasn't enough of a problem already.

Can only assume this is part of a strategy to sell the whole thing off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I assume you mean that you're doing 2 x 13+ stages out and the same back on a particular day, hence two separate validations on the T90.

A five day rambler ticket will buy you 5 non-consecutive days, it costs €27.50 so will cost you €5.50 per day, exactly what you're paying using the T90 card now.

It's even cheaper if you can afford to lash out on the 30 day ticket which costs €137.50 so works out at €4.58 per day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As if falling passenger numbers wasn't enough of a problem already.

I think they've stopped falling now... though whether that'll continue I don't know.

Every further rise puts off irregular users even if the caps staying static reduces or eliminates the impact on more frequent users.

The hike in the taxsaver fares plus the minor reduction in the overall tax rate means I'm not sure its worth my while now, as I generally have to drive anywhere from one to all five days a week (moving equipment or doing site visits) and the caps are more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

?????
    the new fare as stated above is :
    "Over 13 Stages €3.30 Cash / €2.60 LEAP "

So with leap only €5.20, or €6.60 in cash, but either way none of the options is €6.90

also, if you continue paying in cash then its your own fault for paying more.
    Actually, if the difference isnt enough to encourage folks to use leap, then really the cash price increase should be properly drastic.

Pensioners (along with over half the adult population) have free travel anyhow, so only working people and tourists are paying adult fares - so more punative cash fares wont harm the "vulnerable", lest anyone scream "has anyone thought of the pensioners" (who could afford to pay a couple of cents into the kitty anyhow- but thats a different debate).

?????

So with leap only €5.20, or €6.60 in cash, but either way none of the options is €6.90

I'm pretty sure that he meant that on the odd day he had to do two bus trips (both 13+ stages) to a destination and the same on the return leg. That would use two journeys on a T90 ticket so would cost €5.50 for the round trip.

He then calculated that he would have to fall back on the daily cap (€6.90) when the T90 ticket is withdrawn. Some of us have pointed out that there are alternatives which should avoid this.

?????

also, if you continue paying in cash then its your own fault for paying more.
    Actually, if the difference isnt enough to encourage folks to use leap, then really the cash price increase should be properly drastic.

Pensioners (along with over half the adult population) have free travel anyhow, so only working people and tourists are paying adult fares - so more punative cash fares wont harm the "vulnerable", lest anyone scream "has anyone thought of the pensioners" (who could afford to pay a couple of cents into the kitty anyhow- but thats a different debate).

n97 means taking 2 x over 13 stage journeys in one direction one after the other, and two back, one after the other.

Currently that would use two T90 journeys, costing €5.50.

Now, using LEAP that will cost €2.60 + €1.60 = €4.20 in each direction, which taken twice will mean that it is capped at €6.90.

As others point out that's where having the Dublin Bus rambler ticket loaded on the LEAP card comes in useful - it will work out at €5.90 for the 5 day ticket and €4.92 for the 30 day ticket, with the days being non-consecutive.

Now, that will cost €2.60 + €1.60 = €4.20 in each direction, which taken twice will mean that it is capped at €6.90.

How does the second (13+ stages) trip cost €1.60? Poster will be getting a bus from A to B (13+ stages) and pay €2.60 on Leap, then B to C (13+ stages) which will cost the same - no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Why is the city centre fare cheaper in cash than on Leap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Just a few more 'merges' and we can have a flat fair.

coylemj wrote: »
    I assume you mean that you're doing 2 x 13+ stages out and the same back on a particular day, hence two separate validations on the T90.

A five day rambler ticket will buy you 5 non-consecutive days, it costs €27.50 so will cost you €5.50 per day, exactly what you're paying using the T90 card now.

It's even cheaper if you can afford to lash out on the 30 day ticket which costs €137.50 so works out at €4.58 per day.

Five day rambler is going up to €29.50 and the 30 day product to €147.50.

How does the second (13+ stages) trip cost €1.60? Poster will be getting a bus from A to B (13+ stages) and pay €2.60 on Leap, then B to C (13+ stages) which will cost the same - no?

There will be a discount of €1 applied to the second fare.

Why is the city centre fare cheaper in cash than on Leap?

Apologies - I transposed them!

Fixed the earlier post.

There will be a discount of €1 applied to the second fare.

I see that now in your earlier list of changes - a discount of €1 when you validate within an hour of an earlier journey.

As outlined above The Authority is introducing a second journey discount on Leap card fares on 2nd November on Dublin Bus services. This will allow the customer to get the discounts (€1.00 adult, €1.00 student, €0.70 child) on a second journey that has been commenced within 90 minutes of the start of the first journey. It is planned to introduce this feature across all operators in 2015. Currently the Travel 90 tickets offer a similar type feature where a passenger may use the ticket for 90 minutes to allow them take a second bus journey. With the introduction of the second journey discount this will give a discount of up to €1.00 on the second journey and therefore the travel 90 10 journey tickets will be withdrawn in the first quarter of 2015.

I also see that the adult T90 ticket will have a new price before it's withdrawn - €29.50 but I've just ordered a few at the old price of €27.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Balls. Thought with FG/LAB trying to buy an election that they might have at least let us have one year with no fare increases. Pricks probably don't think much of folk who have to use PT though.

Would have been nice if they left Leap fares alone even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

dquinnan wrote: »
    Balls. Thought with FG/LAB trying to buy an election that they might have at least let us have one year with no fare increases. Pricks probably don't think much of folk who have to use PT though.

Free Travel is still free and that's all that matters to politicians.

dquinnan wrote: »

A large number of people who pay €2.15 on Dublin Bus (LEAP fare for 8-13 stages) are getting a €0.10 discount from these changes (new fare is €2.05). There are still significant numbers of people paying cash on the bus who could get a much cheaper fare by using LEAP.

The discount for using LEAP has now grown to 20% or more compared with cash fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just a few more 'merges' and we can have a flat fair.
    Taking my personal example from another thread, it will now cost me exactly the same to go to the centre of Bray from my house (in Bray, 4 'stages') as it would to the centre of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

€1 discount when 2 consecutive journeys started within 90 mins - see above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Five day rambler is going up to €29.50 and the 30 day product to €147.50.

This is a ridiculous increase and completely disproportionate to the single journey increases! It's looking either the same or cheaper for me to drive to work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

ballbags to them anyway. off to find out how much my fair will be increasing.

I see that now in your earlier list of changes - a discount of €1 when you validate within an hour of an earlier journey.

As outlined above The Authority is introducing a second journey discount on Leap card fares on 2nd November on Dublin Bus services. This will allow the customer to get the discounts (€1.00 adult, €1.00 student, €0.70 child) on a second journey that has been commenced within 90 minutes of the start of the first journey. It is planned to introduce this feature across all operators in 2015. Currently the Travel 90 tickets offer a similar type feature where a passenger may use the ticket for 90 minutes to allow them take a second bus journey. With the introduction of the second journey discount this will give a discount of up to €1.00 on the second journey and therefore the travel 90 10 journey tickets will be withdrawn in the first quarter of 2015.

I also see that the adult T90 ticket will have a new price before it's withdrawn - €29.50 but I've just ordered a few at the old price of €27.50.

The time limit within which the second journey has to start for the discount to apply is actually 90 minutes not an hour.

The NTA documents confirm that the second trip discount will extended to all modes in early 2015, which should mean that single multi-mode trips will at last be discounted in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The 'simplification of fares' mentioned in RTÉ news is just a merging of Dublin Bus fares.

Still no sign of a simple zone based multi operator system with no punishment for changing bus/mode.

I note the NTA refer vaguely to some future 'transfer rebate' which will allow customers a discount when taking a 'second journey' within 90 minutes of the first. Of course they aren't two seperate 'journeys' they are merely 2 legs of the same journey, and customers will continue to be chastised for changing, in 2015.

Also some of the luas fares have been reduced to odd figures, 1.45 is now 1.39 etc. Not a problem really just a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The reduction in children's fare on the bus is surprising. Especially so given that under-19s can now avail of the fare, and that schoolchild fares will operate until 19:00 instead of 17:00. That shows a huge drive to get young people using the bus. Great idea, imo, as it gives greater mobility to young people.

Elsewhere, I'm disappointed that the Luas zones are still separated. So Red2->Green2 is considered three zones. Were the zones concentric, it'd only be a two-zone trip. I think this latter arrangement would boost ridership of the Docklands extension. I hope this is looked at in advance of BXD being commissioned.

The discount on second bus journeys is to be welcomed. Does this apply only to bus/bus trips, or can it be used for Luas/bus as well?

Advertisement