Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin - next week brr!

• 12-02-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Heading to Berlin next week where it's gonna be way colder than Dublin anyway need to get packing this week. I've only been on holidays with sun/or mild weather never intense cold. So just looking for some tips on what to pack I'm bringing lots of layers, woolly socks, gloves hat etc but dont know if I should bring thick jumpers, jeans etc I think the weather there at the moment is really cold but dry so would be ok with jeans. I want to pack carefully as I am bringing just one carry-on bag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

miss choc wrote: »
    Heading to Berlin next week where it's gonna be way colder than Dublin anyway need to get packing this week. I've only been on holidays with sun/or mild weather never intense cold. So just looking for some tips on what to pack I'm bringing lots of layers, woolly socks, gloves hat etc but dont know if I should bring thick jumpers, jeans etc I think the weather there at the moment is really cold but dry so would be ok with jeans. I want to pack carefully as I am bringing just one carry-on bag.

Heading there myself for a few days myself on Saturday 18th. When you heading yourself? Only asking because the weather looks to warm up to about 3 degrees during the day with a 40-60% chance of rain. I'm just packing normal socks, warm jacket, hat scarf and glove. Will have a hoodie or two for under my jacket. I think it's only around -2 to -4 at the moment during the day so that's not unbearably cold, depends on the type of person you are. Have you many going?Mates not have any ideas? I'll be packing light enough too as i've only carry on too. Heading for long?I'm flying out saturday and just hoping it warms up by then and stays dry but precipation looks likely that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Just going Fri to Mon heading with 5 mates some of them will be checking in stuff so they can probably bring a bit more I hate paying the extra fees though and just always travel with one piece of luggage it's so handier kinda got travelling light and bringing small items down to a fine art now :) Hopefully will get a tiny bit warmer I can deal with the cold once it's dry can't do anything touristy in the rain. Will take a scoot round Dunnes/Pennys beforehand for some cheap tops/fleece, layering is the key

Ah nice, i'm doing the saturday to tuesday. It look at the moment that there will be 2-3 hours of rain a day which isnt bad really but I don't think they can be that accurate this amount of days before. Sure we've had colder weather here and a jacket, hat and gloves does me. Can always throw on an extra layer in the airport if you're tight for luggage space. Have a good time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Vorhersage für Berlin: Forecast from local TV Channel

http://www.rbb-online.de/wetter/wetterkarte/index.html

Looks like it will be 5/6 plus from the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It never feels as cold in central Europe as similar temperatures would here. It's a different type of cold. A few layers and a good hat and gloves and you'll be fine. Enjoy Berlin, it's a great city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Its berlin, youll enjoy it no matter what the weather :) fantastic city

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

There's still a bit of snow on the ground here in Berlin, but it seems as hough the cold snap is over, no more temperatures of -25 like we just had, still a bit chilly though, so you'll still need warm clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I know it's a bit grannyish and not for if you are going away on a romantic holiday but thermal underwear is amazing! I have some thermal leggings and vests that don't look too bad, think I got them in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Be aware that a 15 hour public transport strike is planned for Berlin from 4am on Saturday 18 February, 2012.

craoltoir wrote: »
    Be aware that a 15 hour public transport strike is planned for Berlin from 4am on Saturday 18 February, 2012.

Just another day in paradise, the transport system in Berlin is great - when it works, which is nearly never...!!!!

...but if it's any consolation, it's "only" the BVG that's on strike, which means "only" busses, trams and the U-Bahn is affected, the S-Bahn transport will be normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Crap just saw this today guess it will be tourist buses, walking or a day trip on Saturday so at least its not on the whole weekend

miss choc wrote: »
    Crap just saw this today guess it will be tourist buses, walking or a day trip on Saturday so at least its not on the whole weekend
    Wouldn't worry too much, the S-bahn network is pretty good, most places are reachable without busses or U-Bahn

And on the plus side, Berlin is quite "warm" at the moment, snow's all gone, we have plus degrees, so you won't need that thermal underwear ;)

Apanachi wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry too much, the S-bahn network is pretty good, most places are reachable without busses or U-Bahn

And on the plus side, Berlin is quite "warm" at the moment, snow's all gone, we have plus degrees, so you won't need that thermal underwear ;)

Feck! I'm heading tomorrow, flying into SXF. Can someone tell me if i'd be able to get a train to alexanderplatz from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Feck! I'm heading tomorrow, flying into SXF. Can someone tell me if i'd be able to get a train to alexanderplatz from there?

Yes. The S-Bahn runs into Alexanderplatz from SXF.

Thank you for your help, I'm confused as to which S-Bahn train to get. I presume I'd get the S45 to Ostkreuz and then transfer to AlexanderPlatz or is there a direct alternative. Sorry for bothering you with questions.

Advertisement