Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ Player Beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That_Guy wrote: »
    I want my childhood back.... NOW!! Come on RTE. Don't give us a superb looking player and not put archived programs into it. You're so close to be completely amazing.

My Gf is due to give birth in a few weeks, this would tie in very nicely with my plan to raise my child entirely as though it was the 1980s (already have zig and zag and bosco on dvd, and Hawk the Slayer... anyone know how to convert these to vhs?)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Akrasia wrote: »
    My Gf is due to give birth in a few weeks, this would tie in very nicely with my plan to raise my child entirely as though it was the 1980s (already have zig and zag and bosco on dvd, and Hawk the Slayer... anyone know how to convert these to vhs?)

Hook your DVD player up to your old VHS player via scart leads :D But I think you should put a few on BetaMax. You will also need a NES or Atari (I think they are still under £50 :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I see Desperate Housewives was added so there is a good chance that Prison Break and Lost will be added after they air.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Akrasia wrote: »

Your plan whilst being inspiring is flawed as there was no internet in the 80's!:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

am in Asia and pay a UK vpn to act as a UK proxy in order to get the BBC iPlayer. Looking for a similar Irish service. any ideas?

I looked last month. There doesn't seem to be such a service available yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

It is in the pipeline

I cant tell you how - PM me if you feel like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

programs9potentially) beign removed quicker then they use to is a big minues, we'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

murpho999 wrote: »
    Your plan whilst being inspiring is flawed as there was no internet in the 80's!:cool:

Yes there was. It'd probably take 2 hours to load this page (and add an extra zero to your phonebill) but stuff like online bulletin boards etc were all there in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

1huge1 wrote: »
    Fast and easy to navigate, and gotta love student accomodation! no download caps

:( Service doesn't seem to work in UCD accom :*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

muffinman wrote: »
    :( Service doesn't seem to work in UCD accom :*

Pop down the road and ask what's wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Jaw nearly dropped when I used tried this out. Really user-friendly, fast loading, not too many ads, no RealPlayer. Can't believe this came from RTE! I love how you can use the tracker at the bottom to flick back and forth through the program quickly without having to wait for the whole thing to load. My biggest pet peeve with web video players is when they go to pieces as soon as you try to rewind/skip forward.

Course then I watched the two episodes that were of interest to me, flicked through the rest of the collection and was reminded of the dirt that makes up so much of RTE's catalogue, and the goodwill faded somewhat. But still, good effort!

:D
    murpho999 wrote: »

No I use this site on RTÉs new interactive Teletext
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Lads this is great! Decent resolution too! Beats watching the shows on youtube (although the youtube HD looks alot better but its alot more tedious with 10min max)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

i'm posting this from the playstation3 browser on which i have just tested the rte player, and it works a charm! nice1 rte :]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

jArgHA wrote: »
    i'm posting this from the playstation3 browser on which i have just tested the rte player, and it works a charm! nice1 rte :]

That's cool. I just tried it on the wii and it won't load as the correct version of Flash is not installed. Shame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

woooo232 wrote: »
    That's cool. I just tried it on the wii and it won't load as the correct version of Flash is not installed. Shame.
    Did you try updating the flash plug in? Might not work but worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Did you try updating the flash plug in? Might not work but worth a shot.

How do I do that on the wii? I clicked on the link on RTE's website and I wass taken to the Flash homepage and asked to choose the operating system. But as Opera was not an option I was snookered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Impressed with this new RTE layout.!

Slightly OT but I sent the link to a friend in Oz and they couldn't play it because they weren't located within Ireland. As such I was wondering is there any EASY way to 'trick' a site into thinking you're from the particular region necessarily to view streamed files?

BTW I ask also because I'd like to buy some video on demand files from amazon.com but the region issue once again rears it's ugly head. Nothing like a site that can't even do business with you :( Any suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I emailed them yesterday about if they'll show 24 on the Player, heres the reply: :(

Dear Jerry

Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated.
    There are no immediate plans to make the series 24 available on-line at this time.

Kind Regards

Brigitte Murphy
    RTÉ Information-Communications

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

It looks good but I can't load any video's at the moment. It starts to buffer and but never starts playing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

shocked is the word , thought rte would stay in the dark ages for ever with real player :D

I'm a big fan of being able to watch stuff when ever i want, and late as it is , i still salute them , the quality seems very good on a 22" monitor played full screen , took tv3 ages to add that feature , remember having to watch the apprentice in an itty bitty little box lol

Edit: is it weird to find the ladies of Fair City more attractive now that they are on my computer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes that is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its a bit confusing, i clicked on the rte player to watch a program and thought well i'll watch the 9 NEWS first, but it only has mondays news not tuesday listed in the player so you have to go to rte realplayer version for todays/tuesday news, hmm, can they not operate with one player. and then it says it will disappear in 7 days, so will it only be archived in real player on the news site?

i know its beta but i hope they go for one system soon, although i'd miss out on being able to select one particular bit of the news, or one particular question on q&A for eg.

they can introduce that on the player im sure but will they bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Im living in Canada and would love to be able to use this - any suggestions??

FoxyProxy works for me when using the BBC iPlayer. Perhaps it will help you gain access to the RTÉ Player.

Dear Jerry

Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated.
    There are no immediate plans to make the series 24 available on-line at this time.

Kind Regards

Brigitte Murphy
    RTÉ Information-Communications

Why not Brigitte? I hate short answers that don't tell you anything. All of RTÉ late night shows should be available on the new service, after all one of the excuses that RTÉ have is that people have broadband, vcrs, Sky+ etc. lets see your late nights shows on RTÉ Player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The real reason RTE launched the Player is here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055556309&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Impressed with this new RTE layout.!

Slightly OT but I sent the link to a friend in Oz and they couldn't play it because they weren't located within Ireland. As such I was wondering is there any EASY way to 'trick' a site into thinking you're from the particular region necessarily to view streamed files?

Indeed there is, tell him to dress like a leprechuan, get really drunk and end every sentence by saying potatoes in a hollywood Irish accent. Then start the player, should work fine then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm in France and it doesn't work! :(

I miss Eastenders...

How does this FoxyProxy thing work and is it legal?

• Advertisement

You could watch BBC 1 via satellite in France if you miss Eastenders. BBC1 is free

Advertisement