Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pin Locking Play Store

Options
  • 24-05-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Having been on the receiving end of a €70 in-app purchase spree last night by my 7 yr old, just thought id warn other users that it may be prudent to pin lock the play store application if you haven't already. tbh i didnt even know you could and didnt realise it was only 2 touches without even needing to enter a password to make a purchase

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1626831

Most of these in app purchases are for the likes of upgrades, swords, gems etc which to a child seem great. However they are non refundable and in some cases can be up to $99 for some gems. :eek:
    Now I take the point that parents should be watching what their children are up to and that includes using a smart phone or in some cases withdrawing its use. However parents also know that if you are busy, a 5 minute game - aimed at children of this age - can be a tempting fix
    I am currently awaiting a response from both google and the developer but not holding out much hope. Whether the credit card company can/will cancel the payment is also looking unlikely

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't think there is. A simple solution would be to disable internet when you give it to kids. That way even if they try to buy, it won't go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

On my Desire HD from the main Google Play Screen

Menu>Settings>Use PIN for purchases.

You can set it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I was whinging about the 5 euro odd my 4 year old son managed to spend, hes an amateur in comparison with your lad johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Ah little johnny strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

In fairness to google they gave me over half back and really nice customer service but the developer glu games wouldn't budge and pretty snotty at that. Half punishment it is so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

chrislad wrote: »
    I don't think there is. A simple solution would be to disable internet when you give it to kids. That way even if they try to buy, it won't go through.

Good idea for sure but in some cases you must disable the internet only after the game has loaded as some wont load without it.

Advertisement