Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christopher Hitchens ref.

Options
  • 30-04-2012 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

I have referenced this line from God is Not Great in a dissertation:

'The loss of faith can be compensated by the newer and finer wonders that we have before us, as well as by immersion in the near-miraculous works of Homer and Shakespeare and Milton and Tolstoy and Proust, all of which was also “man-made” (though one sometimes wonders, as in the case of Mozart).'

Dissertation due in tomorrow, and I find myself without the book, and without the page number for my footnote!

If anyone has a copy and could kindly tell me the page number, I'd be delighted!

Thanks all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Page 151 according to my PDF copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Yeah it's on page 151, just checked my book there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I've had a look - only Shakespeare is in the index, but of the 6 pages he's listed in, none refer to that line. Have you any more info on it? What chapter even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

pg 151. 1st ed. i think, 2007
    chapter: the twadriness of the miraculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yep, I have the book in front of me: Page 151.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I thought there was something about Atheists being immoral, dishonest and untrustworthy. Yet all the atheists here have given the user the correct page. Something is terribly, terribly, wrong with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ebook version, so no page numbers here. %read doesn't quite cut it at an academic level I guess.

"Chapter 10: The Tawdriness of the Miraculous and the Decline of Hell"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thank you all so much! Relieved to just be able to press print now!

My dissertation is on Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. Give it a spin on youtube, and you just might end up voicing the same sentiments as Christopher! ;)

Jernal wrote: »
    I thought there was something about Atheists being immoral, dishonest and untrustworthy. Yet all the atheists here have given the user the correct page. Something is terribly, terribly, wrong with the world.

The fact that all the copies of the book agree with each other and are consistent is surely a sign of our Faith being well-placed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You forget everyone's referencing their illegally downloaded ebook. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dades wrote: »
    You forget everyone's referencing their illegally downloaded ebook. :pac:
    How dare you, I'll have you know I scanned every single page myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Page 11 - i swear!

Advertisement