Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Beef Discussion Group

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

A female cant have huge relability simply because there isnt the data to back it up. while a bull in AI can have thousands of progeny a cow will probably have 10 calves max.

To have 90% + relability you would need about 100 calves on the ground

The change of figures between proof runs will have to be addresed for the sceme no doubt. I presume if they are 5 stars at breeding then they qualify

True but they are moving in the right direction with the females too with the milk survey you can fill out. I think it should be made mandatory when filling up the weaning forms to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

True but they are moving in the right direction with the females too with the milk survey you can fill out. I think it should be made mandatory when filling up the weaning forms to be honest.

Couldnt agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Muckit wrote: »

And they are doing away with SBV now from Sept! As if we weren't confused enough!!

oh deere! That would make implementing the 5star bull measure rather difficult so I hope your info is incorrect... I stopped being lazy and looked it up on the T&C on the departments site and is it SBV it is based on. There is also a maternal traits option but for most of us the sbv what is relevant for this measure. It can be within breed or across breeds too. Seems very doable for participants to me.

[Removed Image]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

JFC DT90 trough serves 4 paddocks. Temporary fence can be moved either side of trough, depending on what paddock is to be serviced. Downside - you can't have a follower group directly coming behind.
    p5090105.jpg

Temporary fencing used to divide up some of grazing fields. You can also see a new permanent fence in foreground that I erected using concrete stakes (this field believe it or not is a 3' deep lake in winter :o)
    tempfence.jpg

New entrances Took out part of hedge here at corner and put in a new entrance to aid with paddock rotations
    newgap.jpg
    newgap2.jpg

Silage ground temporary divisioning

This is ground that I've closed for silage. Very poor growth:o, cattle off it nearly 2 weeks. Bag just spread last Monday.

As I explained in a previous post, I rolled up the wire and placed it in the hedge and left the bundles of white stakes for that line beside it. I don't do polywire. The fence will be put down again to graze aftergrass after slurry has gone out.

stakepile.jpg

stakes.jpg

• Advertisement

Boundary fence
    You can see my attempts with the tec7 to glue insulator on failed miserably, so plan B involved pieces of hydrodare. Used concrete stakes as timber ones would rot in flood.
    concstake2.jpg
    concstake.jpg

Insulators
    I've used on all timber stakes so I pull pin and drop to the floor if the hedgecutter is needed;)
    insulator.jpg
    stakedistance.jpg

Joining
    I love supermacro:D
    gripple.jpg

Gates
    You can't have too many:D
    p5090148.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Impressive fencing work

"Temporary fencing used to divide up some of grazing fields. You can also see a new permanent fence in foreground that I erected using concrete stakes (this field believe it or not is a 3' deep lake in winter )"

What part of Galway you in? Shannon Callows?

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Impressive fencing work

"Temporary fencing used to divide up some of grazing fields. You can also see a new permanent fence in foreground that I erected using concrete stakes (this field believe it or not is a 3' deep lake in winter )"

What part of Galway you in? Shannon Callows?

Clonfert?...nope! other side of Ballinasloe. Not a river or a lake that over flows, the water comes up out of the ground through swallow holes when the water table rises in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

good job there i did this work two years ago paddocks etc i would have liked to put down a load of shale at gaps will have to
    do this year when it dries up........June

this now grassland management kicks in.

jerdee wrote: »
    i would have liked to put down a load of shale at gaps will have to do this year

Good idea. What do lads use around drinking troughs, if anything? I used subsoil from slatted tanks around a few. worked well, but I could do with fixing up a few more and I have no more of this material left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Good idea. What do lads use around drinking troughs, if anything? I used subsoil from slatted tanks around a few. worked well, but I could do with fixing up a few more and I have no more of this material left

Muckit, I've been looking at this problem of serious poaching at drinking areas especially with all this fantastic weather we've been getting :( and my only solution was more drinking spots! I really liked an idea seen earlier in these post (half barrel with ball cock tied with a spring), so i've decided to make a few of these an provide more access. it's an easy addition considering i have the piping above ground.

Although poaching at gaps is another ball game, don't feel like making more of those!!

Tidy fencing by the way!

larthehar wrote: »
    I really liked an idea seen earlier in these post (half barrel with ball cock tied with a spring), so i've decided to make a few of these an provide more access. it's an easy addition considering i have the piping above ground.

Glad you liked the fencing Iarthehar ;).

RE water troughs. Yes blue5000 does come up with some great ideas. SO cheap and relatively simple. I have about 8 of those half barrels lying around from the days when we had no piped water and it all had to be drawn to them and bucketed out :o I'd say a lot of farmyards would have a few lying about

When I get a chance I'I most definitely be making a few of them. But at the moment it's at the bottom of my 'to do' list.

I seen a few pics on the net of lads in the states making large troughs from old tyres off loading shovels with a sealed concrete base. Bit more work, but they look impressive. Get crackin' blue! :D
    watertrough.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Hi Muckit,
    I really like the way you brought the current under the gap!:)

just a thought...Did you consider using those plastic clamps with a stone nail for anchoring the pipe to the concrete post? They look like the clamps used for securing wiring in sheds at intervals of every 6inch's and can be gotten from builder providers. might be even taster again if you used the small insuli tube cut that you can cut to length.

Still a great looking job!

We have installed quite a few concrete posts that are old single slats cut in half. concreting them into the ground is and bugger and time consuming mixing cement but the result is really worth it :D

49801 wrote: »
    Hi Muckit,
    I really like the way you brought the current under the gap!:)

just a thought...Did you consider using those plastic clamps with a stone nail for anchoring the pipe to the concrete post?

I know the lads that you talk about.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuAHEVGnFomP1qBiRi9x1chtumNXRsYlGnc-R1bckcYxBCYLRFTnEPt7_3

I didn't want to try drill or nail into the stake in case I cracked them.

Also conc stakes I just buried, no concrete. If they are not strainer, there's no need. There will be a bit of give if I tip them with the topper ...hopefully ;)

The old slats idea is a good one;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Glad you liked the fencing Iarthehar ;).

RE water troughs. Yes blue5000 does come up with some great ideas. SO cheap and relatively simple. I have about 8 of those half barrels lying around from the days when we had no piped water and it all had to be drawn to them and bucketed out :o I'd say a lot of farmyards would have a few lying about

When I get a chance I'I most definitely be making a few of them. But at the moment it's at the bottom of my 'to do' list.

I seen a few pics on the net of lads in the states making large troughs from old tyres off loading shovels with a sealed concrete base. Bit more work, but they look impressive. Get crackin' blue! :D
    watertrough.jpg

I bet some box ticking official over here would find a reason why you couldn't use a tyre as a watering trough. Contravention of "good farming practice".:confused

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

JFC DT90 trough serves 4 paddocks. Temporary fence can be moved either side of trough, depending on what paddock is to be serviced. Downside - you can't have a follower group directly coming behind.
    p5090105.jpg

Temporary fencing used to divide up some of grazing fields. You can also see a new permanent fence in foreground that I erected using concrete stakes (this field believe it or not is a 3' deep lake in winter :o)
    tempfence.jpg

New entrances Took out part of hedge here at corner and put in a new entrance to aid with paddock rotations
    newgap.jpg
    newgap2.jpg

muckit,

does the concrete poles work out cheaper or a better job than wooden posts

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5 star

New to boards but interested in beef discussion just getting into sucklers calved 6 this spring bought 10 more heifers and bull is with them at the moment. Also buy approximately 30 dairy bred bull calves ( fr, aax, hex) rear them and take them through to beef at 23 months approx. Farm 40ish acres part time in one field as originally was in tillage and all ditches knocked. Put up a slatted unit in 2010 and used digging out of tank to make roadway through roughly centre of field. Ran water pipe out alongside roadway underground. Divided above and below roadway into roughly 4 to 5 acre paddocks with permanent fence. At fence between two paddocks brought water over ground and ran water line overground along under the wire putting 3 90 gal jfc drinkers at even intervals. This has given 3 drinkers serving between 8 and 10 acres. Like Muckit 1 drinker does 4 subdivisions. I keep bulls below roadway in approx 12 acres which due to the placement of drinkers I was able to subdivide into 11 paddocks of reasonably even size. This worked a treat last year as I was able to move 30 bulls every 2 days to fresh grass while bearing out the paddocks at the same time and because all ground is freshly reseeded (2009 & 2010) great response to fertilizer also last year growth was good. Because bulls were moved on so quickly they did very little damage in unseatled weather except of course around the drinkers which is one disadvantage to having 4 paddocks served by 1 drinker. Bulls got familiar to being moved and would wait for you to open wire and walk straight through took 2to 3 min at most and this included walking out from the yard meant that wife could move them if I was not around. Also at both ends of the paddocks I had a gap in the permanent fence so that bulls can work down one side and be brought through to other side of the fence to work back up without having to drive them back to the top of the paddock to change them over. When grass started getting scarce brought some silage ground into rotation above the roadway. The bulls had big gains at grass which I put down to fresh grass every 2 days. On the silage ground I have temp fence which i roll up same as  muckit but I use the plastic handle at the end to roll the wire onto and put a wrap of insulating tape around it to keep it together and just hang it on the wire. Must subdivide these into smaller paddocks though as 16 heifers 6 calves and one breeding bull are taking over a week to clean out these roughly 2 acre sub divisions and I have grass everywhere not a bad complaint this year but I am way under stocked due to finishing fr bulls at 16 months this year I only have 12 bulls at grass and weanlings are too dear to buy IMO. I find the paddock system very flexible in that if grass goes too strong you can skip one or two subdivisions and take it out for bales. Fusion baler man not too happy calling to make 5 or 6 bales though. 
    That's my 2 pence worth sorry so long winded

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

BeeDI wrote: »
    I bet some box ticking official over here would find a reason why you couldn't use a tyre as a watering trough. Contravention of "good farming practice".:confused

Have to 'fess up that I used old rear tyres in the garden, filled them with topsoil for a raised bed for veggies. OH got rid though:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

kboc wrote: »
    muckit,

does the concrete poles work out cheaper or a better job than wooden posts

thanks

Concrete posts would be dearer I would think.

These are concrete posts that were lying in the corner of the yard for years. I could have used timber posts, but they would rot in no time (I would think) as over 3' of water in that spot in winter.

Timber posts should be your post of choice if you don't have flooding issues to think about.

5 star wrote: »
    New to boards but interested in beef discussion just getting into sucklers calved 6 this spring bought 10 more heifers and bull is with them at the moment. Also buy approximately 30 dairy bred bull calves ( fr, aax, hex) rear them and take them through to beef at 23 months approx. Farm 40ish acres part time in one field as originally was in tillage and all ditches knocked. Put up a slatted unit in 2010 and used digging out of tank to make roadway through roughly centre of field. Ran water pipe out alongside roadway underground. Divided above and below roadway into roughly 4 to 5 acre paddocks with permanent fence. At fence between two paddocks brought water over ground and ran water line overground along under the wire putting 3 90 gal jfc drinkers at even intervals. This has given 3 drinkers serving between 8 and 10 acres. Like Muckit 1 drinker does 4 subdivisions. I keep bulls below roadway in approx 12 acres which due to the placement of drinkers I was able to subdivide into 11 paddocks of reasonably even size. This worked a treat last year as I was able to move 30 bulls every 2 days to fresh grass while bearing out the paddocks at the same time and because all ground is freshly reseeded (2009 & 2010) great response to fertilizer also last year growth was good. Because bulls were moved on so quickly they did very little damage in unseatled weather except of course around the drinkers which is one disadvantage to having 4 paddocks served by 1 drinker. Bulls got familiar to being moved and would wait for you to open wire and walk straight through took 2to 3 min at most and this included walking out from the yard meant that wife could move them if I was not around. Also at both ends of the paddocks I had a gap in the permanent fence so that bulls can work down one side and be brought through to other side of the fence to work back up without having to drive them back to the top of the paddock to change them over. When grass started getting scarce brought some silage ground into rotation above the roadway. The bulls had big gains at grass which I put down to fresh grass every 2 days. On the silage ground I have temp fence which i roll up same as muckit but I use the plastic handle at the end to roll the wire onto and put a wrap of insulating tape around it to keep it together and just hang it on the wire. Must subdivide these into smaller paddocks though as 16 heifers 6 calves and one breeding bull are taking over a week to clean out these roughly 2 acre sub divisions and I have grass everywhere not a bad complaint this year but I am way under stocked due to finishing fr bulls at 16 months this year I only have 12 bulls at grass and weanlings are too dear to buy IMO. I find the paddock system very flexible in that if grass goes too strong you can skip one or two subdivisions and take it out for bales. Fusion baler man not too happy calling to make 5 or 6 bales though.
    That's my 2 pence worth sorry so long winded

Welcome to boards 5 star. And what an introduction! ;)

You seem to have the makings of a great little farm there. Your land seem top quality and you are getting great rights off it. You seem to be on the ball with regards to how to manage grass.

What is your plan for the next 5years? How many cows do you think you could build to comfortably? Will you keep on the dairy bull beef or is this just a way to eat grass until you build cow numbers?? Sorry for all the questions, but very interested as would have similar acreage but of varying quality.

• Advertisement

Welcome to boards 5 star. And what an introduction! ;)

You seem to have the makings of a great little farm there. Your land seem top quality and you are getting great rights off it. You seem to be on the ball with regards to how to manage grass.

What is your plan for the next 5years? How many cows do you think you could build to comfortably? Will you keep on the dairy bull beef or is this just a way to eat grass until you build cow numbers?? Sorry for all the questions, but very interested as would have similar acreage but of varying quality.[/Quote]

Ground is fairly good very little waste maybe 1.5 acres in total a further 4 acres not ploughable the rest is good. Would hope to increase cow numbers 25 to 30 ish
    Finish bulls at 16, 17 months only because I still have some grain which I keep and feed. Hoping to breed maternal animals so would hope to sell heifers as maiden or incalf. Don't want to go the export route as don't want prob with calving cause working full time. As cow numbers increase dairy bull beef will decrease hopefully to zero next year if I can buy a few more heifers alot of work in rearing dairy bulls and wife will not b around to feed milk next year due to work.

Would like to hear more on the star system for bulls bought a bull this year supposed to be 5 star for sbv and 5 star for calving and milk 3 star for carcass and Export but reliability figures very poor. Bull only 13 months.

Used AI on 6 heifers last year 4 star bull at the time but has risen to 5 star since am very impressed with calves. Does this mean my bull could drop to 3 star or less depending on what weights my cattle kill out at?

5 star wrote: »
    Ground is fairly good very little waste maybe 1.5 acres in total a further 4 acres not ploughable the rest is good. Would hope to increase cow numbers 25 to 30 ish
    Finish bulls at 16, 17 months only because I still have some grain which I keep and feed. Hoping to breed maternal animals so would hope to sell heifers as maiden or incalf. Don't want to go the export route as don't want prob with calving cause working full time. As cow numbers increase dairy bull beef will decrease hopefully to zero next year if I can buy a few more heifers alot of work in rearing dairy bulls and wife will not b around to feed milk next year due to work.

I get the feeling your 'waste' would be another man's good land;). So have you some land taken out of that 40acres for tillage(for the grain finishing)? Your idea to focus on maternal traits is a good one. God if you can get numbers to 25-30 cows you will have some operation. When did the 6 heifers calve down? How did you find calving cows? :)

I get the feeling your 'waste' would be another man's good land;). So have you some land taken out of that 40acres for tillage(for the grain finishing)? Your idea to focus on maternal traits is a good one. God if you can get numbers to 25-30 cows you will have some operation. When did the 6 heifers calve down? How did you find calving cows? :)

No! waste ground is growing waste pure scrub cattle not left into it 4 acres of hilly ground growing grass alright but very old might try to reseeding with power harrow next year. 7 acres taken out for grain, straw and grain handy rather than buying and I have the machinery. 6 heifers calved 22 feb to 16 march no problem calving I went for pure bred Saler calved on their own one prob with heifer not taking to calf had to stall her for about 2 weeks before she took to her. Before you say anything no Salers are not mad they were the same as any suckler reared heifer a bit flighty made a point of walking into them every day last year. When they calved they became very placid can walk up to all six and rub them in the field. What system u working?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Anyone experience problems with getting suckler cows back in heat when calves running with them? We would normally have cows separated from calves with once/twice a day suckling but have a few 1st calvers this year with calves at foot and concerned they might slip. Have a lim stock bull with them

r849224_8010707.jpg

:o Any topic for this week...or has this tread died a death?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

r849224_8010707.jpg

:o Any topic for this week...or has this tread died a death?

Hope not, it's been great so far!

As we now have a semblance of growth, how about grass measurement, utilisation or some grass management topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Suggest something lads. Its yer thread. Ye decide what we discuss.

I don't want to hog the thread, I've already giving more than my twopence worth on all topics so far to be fair. I'd like to see the tread kept active if at all possible.

Although lads shy away from it, I think Profit monitor (or simply net/gross returns per cow/calf unit or beef animal for drystock) would be a good topic and how best returns can be acheived.

Or Herd health. ...??

I would learn more than I would be able to share on these topics, so I'd be very interested to hear from others if one or other of these topics are picked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

On the profit monitor, does everyone use the teagasc one or do people have different their own take on it?

Have to say I generally depend on the accountant to say good year bad year and by then its too late.
    Still I've only taken over the place nearly 2 years so I've taken the decision to try and work on improving the quality of the cows as a first step, and then work closer to a profit monitor budget type structure.

Suppose that's where the off farm job helps part time lads as opposed to full time guys.

I don't think I can afford to carry as many poor quality cows as I have and magically hope profit will increase as much as it needs to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Profit Monitor it is so.
    Its a compulsory measure in the Discussion Group. It has to be done in year 1 or 2.

Who has done one?

Advertisement