Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars ‘made’ in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Does anyone remember this Garage,
    IMGvowwo6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kpday

Fiat had their first assembly plant in Ireland at Chapelizod in the delapidated Industrial Estate that is there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kpday

The posts with the Jaguar sign.
    (I remember this site well).
    Up the Main Road (Camden Street) was their showrooms.
    They were assembled in a lane way at the rear of the showrooms.
    Lincoln and Nolan also assembled the only complete 'Irish' car named The Shamrock' It was made up of all different parts from different manufacturers.
    McCairns Motors Sanrtry (on the Omni site) was quite big and assembled Vauxhall Cars and Bedford Trucks.
    Datsun Cars were assembled in the old Nissan site on the Long Mile Road.
    Dodge Trucks were assembled in Pleasant Street (off Camden Street). Peugeot and Citreon had an assembly plant in Sallynoggin.
    Hillman, Sunbeam were assembled in Chrysler in Shanliss Road in Santry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

kpday wrote: »
    Peugeot and Citreon had an assembly plant in Sallynoggin.

I'm pretty sure this is what it is today:

DSC01946_medium.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

It's always interesting to see if the buildings for all these places still exist or what stands there now. Here's a few more:

This is where Caldwells (Panhard) garage in Lucan stood. Still serving as a garage today.

TopazLucanCaldwells.jpg

This is the old Standard Triumph works on Cashel Road, still looking much the same as it did back in the sixties.

standardtriumph.jpg

This is the site of Reg Armstrongs assembly plant in Ringsend. I'm not sure if the petrol station was part of it but the archway on the side of the new building was.

RegArmstrongs.jpg

And this is the the old Buckleys/Chrysler/Talbot factory on Shanowen Road in Santry. It still looks pretty much the same as it did when car production ended in the early 80s. It's now Santry Garda Station.

chrysler3.jpg
    chrysler2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I spotted this on Done Deal today:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3065437

This car was owned by a former Chrysler/Talbot employee. Middle aged geezer with slicked back hair. Looked like he'd stepped out of the 50s. I used to see him pass the top of my road every evening on his way home. Anyone know the fella or the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

I was looking at an old photo in the local family pub/shop and it had two
    REO american delivery trucks parked outside the shop that belonged to
    The grandfather,picture taken roughly round 1949/50??
    anybody ever hear who or where they were assembled/distributed from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

so where were landrovers built up then? i had a genuine irish series 3 that had shamrocks on the glass and no chassis number stamped on it. UNI 514 i sold it to a lad up the country with a rotten chassis and subsequently saw the reg number a year or two later on a different landrover altogether.......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alesbury

TigerTim wrote: »
    Where was the "Shamrock" made. I know of one surviving in Killarney.

T.
    There are 2 more surviving in Navan. But only 6 were ever sold. However, that's assuming you mean the Shamrock built by The Shamrock Motor Co in Castleblaney in Monaghan in the late 1950s. I was told by an archivist that an earlier Shamrock was built in Ireland by a different company 37 years earlier approx, around 1921, but again, only 6 were sold. That factory was somewhere on the west coast of Ireland, and he told me that before production started, the makers got the Government to construct a harbour especially for the export of the cars.....OOPS!!! I hope that helps you....Alesbury (p.s. my great-grandfather Daniel Alesbury built a car in Edenderry Co. Offaly in his factory in 1904. and showed it at the 1907 RDS Motor Show in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Alesbury wrote: »
    There are 2 more surviving in Navan. But only 6 were ever sold. However, that's assuming you mean the Shamrock built by The Shamrock Motor Co in Castleblaney in Monaghan in the late 1950s. I was told by an archivist that an earlier Shamrock was built in Ireland by a different company 37 years earlier approx, around 1921, but again, only 6 were sold. That factory was somewhere on the west coast of Ireland, and he told me that before production started, the makers got the Government to construct a harbour especially for the export of the cars.....OOPS!!! I hope that helps you....Alesbury (p.s. my great-grandfather Daniel Alesbury built a car in Edenderry Co. Offaly in his factory in 1904. and showed it at the 1907 RDS Motor Show in Dublin)

Any pics in the family yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

Was it Brittains who also assembled Land Rovers from CKD kits at some stage up to the early 1980's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Was it Brittains who also assembled Land Rovers from CKD kits at some stage up to the early 1980's?

No, it was Lincoln & Nolan, they had a site on Baggot St that is now the HQ for Bank of Ireland.

Would be interesting if anyone bothered to keep the records before the old buildings got leveled

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alesbury

red sean wrote: »
    Any pics in the family yet?

Yes I unearthed one about a month ago...if you mean pics of the Alesbury car. Using I/cafe as laptop broken, but will upload in the next week. If you mean pics of the Shamrock, I don't have any.....I just know about it and saw pic on the internet last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ya. Would love to see the Aylesbury car. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Alesbury wrote: »
    If you mean pics of the Shamrock, I don't have any.....I just know about it and saw pic on the internet last week

Boards Shamrock thread

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

bijapos wrote: »
    Here it is in 2008.

kaefer-13027.jpg
    I was in the VW museum in May, sadly the car wasn't on display, like a lot of museums they change the displays around. Well worth a visit though.

Here it was in 2007, it was at the Auostadt as opposed to the VW Museum on Dieselstrasse.

STP61459.jpg

STP61458.jpg

STP61457.jpg

When I was there again in 08 it had moved out of the main display & was in with cars undergoing work

STP62435.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It was actually where Ballsbridge Motors is today. It was originally an old Tram station that MDL converted to build Beetle's in around 1950 IIRC.

I believe the first car built there is now exhibited at Volkswagen's museum in Wolfsburg.

There was a reunion event on recently that was for people who worked in that factory by FIAT Ireland. It stated where the factory was located, but I now forget where it was.

They still are I think; opposite the Coca Cola factory on the Naas Road.

Other brands assembled in Dublin were British Leyland, Datsun and Toyota, who I believe were all out on the Naas Road. The factory where Chrysler/Rootes Group cars were built is now a Garda station in Coolock.

i think it was austin morris.....they were just next to portobello bridge......

• Registered Users Posts: 24 joec26

A few snippets! My dad remembers Caveys on Camden Street who assembled Jaguars. Frank Cavey he recalled had a great collection of Jags including an E Type. Wonder where they are now. As a young Garda in the early 50's he used to admire the Jags in the showroom. Later in 1976 he collected a new Alfasud there and Frank gave him a spin in an E type. They were Alfa distributor then. Also, not cars, but trucks! Scania were assembled by McCairns until 1976 when Westward Garage in Strokestown took over. There were a few Scania assembled on the floor in Strokestown but changes around that time meant that the trucks could be brought in fully assembled after that. Westward, are still the Scania importer and have records on every Scania imported since.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 captainchaos

To maintain an Irish motor industry and hence jobs, the car industry were forced to produce a certain percentage of cars here using Irish sourced parts (tyres, batteries etc.) were possible ,before they could import the rest of their range otherwise excessive import taxes were imposed on the cars!

eg. Datsun back in the 70s and early 80s produced the Cherry and Sunny here in their production facility on the Naas Road ( bizarrely Fiat are now in their premises) and once the manufactured 5% (I could be wrong about the actual percentage) of the market they could import their other models directly from Japan ie the Violet, Bluebird, Cedric, Laurel ,Paraire, Stanza etc.!

In the case of Datsun the Irish produced cars were loss leaders as the cost of production was extremely high and the union knew they had the company over a barrel (hence excessive wage demands)as if they could not produce the magic 5% Datsun could not then import the profitable Japanese produced cars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

The factory buildings still stand pretty much as they were back in the 70s/80s and it's now Santry Garda Station.

And the 'assembly line' is now the firing range :eek:

Used to gawk, then in later years work in PR Reilly's - old man Reilly fired me for being late to open up one morning :confused:

Worked in Motor Distributors just at the switch of Beetle/Golf production - had 3 0f the last Beetles as 'staff runabouts', one white, one yellow, and one Lofoten (yeuch:eek:) green. Tried to convince boss to 'try out' Golfs as staff cars instead :cool::cool:

Booth Poole used to assemble MG's and Wolseleys in Islandbridge - Alec Poole raced MG's .

Anyone remember the 'run-out' BMC/BLMC models produced here -

Austin Oxford (Austin grille and rear 'Austin' badge on a Morris Oxford), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Morris_Oxford_Series_VI_rear.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Austin_Cambridge_Sedan.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Cambridge

Austin A60 saloons assembled in Ireland by Brittain Smith of Portobello, Dublin 2 were identifiable by the use of Morris Oxford series VI tail-lights. The last of these were produced in 1970, and some were registered in 1971.
    the Austin Minor van http://www.flickr.com/photos/51114588@N02/7152221329/in/pool-1505080@N22,

Just read about Citroen 'assembly' in China - Citroen manufacture a ZX saloon (Elysee) in China but they wanted to import some Xantia and XM s so they had to 'assemble' them in China. 'Assembly' was fitting mirrors and badges
    Xm saloon (Xantia) XM sport (XM)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bigmark39

A German concern apparently, 1980's? started making a car I think near Buncrana. Anybody shed any light on this?

On DKW cars in Ireland, there's a great new book titled "Two Stroke Cars Of the Past" available to buy on donedeal. The book covers the DKW story and their Cork plant. I never knew so many cars were made with two stroke engines and some of them quite large in size. The book is written by an Irish Author and is reviewed in this months Irish Vintage magazine.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3343396

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

bigmark39 wrote: »
    A German concern apparently, 1980's? started making a car I think near Buncrana. Anybody shed any light on this?

Chico All terrain vehicle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyg1955/sets/72157604657178946/comments/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

In 1981 a German company by the name of Auto-Montan-Werke began producing an all-terrain-vehicle known as the Chico in Buncrana, Co Donegal.

The first 12-18 months was spent altering the Messerschmitt-designed prototype so that it could be mass-produced, primarily as a truck for the Third World. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Wo rld)

The vehicle consisted essentially of a cab and a flat bed rear. These were joined by a bearing in the centre that allowed the front wheels to tilt from side to side without affecting the back wheels, and vice versa. This enabled all four wheels to have better contact with the ground, particularly on rough terrain.

The truck could be fitted with a hydraulic drive at the front and back, a winch at the front and even with propeller so that it could (with a modified bottom) be used on water. One of the test vehicles produced was taken out on Lough Swilly next to the factory and taken across the lough and back safely.

The company eventually closed in 1985, having produced between 130 and 150 trucks. The factory was on the right as you drove into Buncrana on the Derry Road.

My experience of the 'Third world' is they prefer to get established cars/trucks and repair/rebuild them rather than buy new 'cheap' vehicles.

Remember the LADA never took off over here, people wouldn't be seen dead in one - better to buy a s/h Nissan than a new LADA :D

Other cars 'manufactured' or designed here
    Panoz roadster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoz_Roadster
    TMC Costain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMC_Costin

On DKW cars in Ireland, there's a great new book titled "Two Stroke Cars Of the Past" available to buy on donedeal. The book covers the DKW story and their Cork plant. I never knew so many cars were made with two stroke engines and some of them quite large in size. The book is written by an Irish Author and is reviewed in this months Irish Vintage magazine.

Here is what the CHICO looks like,
    3136v0p.jpg

2j4d7bd.jpg
    34fxojs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭FamousBelgian

GSBellew wrote: »
    Here it was in 2007, it was at the Auostadt as opposed to the VW Museum on Dieselstrasse.

Here's my photo of it in Autostadt in 2005. The ZL car above seems to have one less vent in front; is it supposed to be the same car?

206280.JPG

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This is such an interesting thread! Loads of car manufacturer places all around where I live!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Caddyvanman

Any more info on the Landrover CKD kits assembled in Ireland ?

I believe it was Lincoln & Nolan, Baggot St, who assembled Landrovers from CKD kits at some stage up to the early 1980's.

Any ideas between what years this happened ?

What model did they assemble, was it only the Series 3 109" or did they assemble the 88" as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Any more info on the Landrover CKD kits assembled in Ireland ?

I believe it was Lincoln & Nolan, Baggot St, who assembled Landrovers from CKD kits at some stage up to the early 1980's.

Any ideas between what years this happened ?

What model did they assemble, was it only the Series 3 109" or did they assemble the 88" as well ?

well the one i had was an 88" petrol

Advertisement