Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catholic dominance of schools not 'tenable'

Options
  • 24-02-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0223/1224290629135.html

Fantastic news coming out. It surely now must be just a matter of time before we get rid of this cancer once and for all.

here is the nutshell

THE DOMINANCE of the Catholic Church in the patronage of the State’s primary schools is “a remnant of the past and no longer tenable today”, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin patron of about 93 per cent of all primary schools in the archdiocese of Dublin, while Catholics compose only about 85 per cent of the population

Dr Martin said the Catholic Church in Ireland would “inevitably become more a minority culture. The challenge is to ensure that it is not an irrelevant minority culture”.

he said the place of the church in the political discussion was increasingly marginal. “I would say that none of the political parties even thought of seeking the views of the church around their policies for the current general election. If anything, they would seem to prefer not to be seen in any way to be associated with the church.”

In Dublin there were parishes “where the presence at Sunday Mass is some 5 per cent of the Catholic population and, in some cases, even below 2 per cent”.

On any Sunday, “about 18 per cent of the Catholic population in the archdiocese of Dublin attends Mass.

this year there would be no ordination of priests in Dublin, “and the coming years indicate only a tiny trickle of new vocations”.

Now we just need the party who gets elected to kick these charlatans out, and finally grow up as a people.

Comments

dcmraad wrote: »
    The challenge is to ensure that it is not an irrelevant minority culture”.

It already is largely irrelevant to people younger than 30 and scientists. Time is the cure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Catholics compose only about 85 per cent of the population [...] In Dublin there were parishes “where the presence at Sunday Mass is some 5 per cent of the Catholic population and, in some cases, even below 2 per cent”.
    This highlights why it's so important that the April census is completed accurately.

While Martin is trying to divest his organization of some schools -- and getting nowhere with the department of education -- he's still using totally false statistics to justify control of the remainder.

People aren't real catholics if they don't go to mass each week, and it would be to Martin's credit if he faced this fact.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin patron of about 93 per cent of all primary schools in the archdiocese of Dublin, while Catholics compose only about 85 per cent of the population
    A nonsense figure to begin, which will with luck be shown to be so after this year's census.
    It already is largely irrelevant to people younger than 30 and scientists. Time is the cure.
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    People aren't real catholics if they don't go to mass each week,

Great point there Robin. I do hope you will keep remembering to point it out in threads that claim Hitler was a Catholic. ;)

Dades wrote: »
    LOL

I don't get it. I know very few in the sciences who believe in any form of deity. Are there some statistics - to which I am not privy - showing that this is not the case in general?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

PDN wrote: »
    Great point there Robin. I do hope you will keep remembering to point it out in threads that claim Hitler was a Catholic. ;)

He was???
    And there was i being told that he was an atheist....:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@ coconutlulz - I only LOL'ed at the phrasing. Like there's one box for teens reading Nichtze, and another for boffins in white coats.

Of course you're right both groups are highly irreligious. :)

Dades wrote: »
    @ coconutlulz - I only LOL'ed at the phrasing. Like there's one box for teens reading Nichtze, and another for boffins in white coats.

Of course you're right both groups are highly irreligious. :)

Oh, that's all right then. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Godwinned on the fifth post -- congratulations! And you'll note that all those recent posts have been moved to the "Hazards of Belief" thread.

More seriously, I've pointed out many times before that the claim that Hitler was catholic or christian is debatable, to say the very least. He certainly claimed to be in Mein Kampf and elsewhere -- all the usual christian palaver about "doing the Lord's work" etc, etc -- but it's obviously impossible to know whether he was doing so honestly. And the current pope spent some time being a Nazi, as did millions of his fellow-christian Germans, so regardless of whether or not it's believed possible any more, at the time, the majority view at the time was that christianity had few if any problems reconciling itself with nazism.

Anyhow, back to Martin.

As I'm sure you recall, the catholic religion explicitly permits people to reject catholic religious dogma via its doctrine of the Primacy of Conscience. While at the same time insisting that its religious dogma constitutes unarguable "absolute truth". So technically, a catholic can legitimately claim to be a real catholic while not going to mass. Though in the offchance that somebody would pull that particular trick, I'm sure the church could conjure up some splendidly numinous reason as to why they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

this year there would be no ordination of priests in Dublin

I smile a delicious dark smile when I read things like this. For all their talk and pomp and arrogance, their religion is dying and there is nothing they can do to stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

“I would say that none of the political parties even thought of seeking the views of the church around their policies for the current general election. If anything, they would seem to prefer not to be seen in any way to be associated with the church.”

Honestly, why would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

Galvasean wrote: »
    “I would say that none of the political parties even thought of seeking the views of the church around their policies for the current general election. If anything, they would seem to prefer not to be seen in any way to be associated with the church.”

Honestly, why would they?

Because they use to rule the country, they use to tell the politicans what was acceptable, they are disgusted and view us with contempt for daring not to obey.

Look at the video footage of cardinals faces when the scandal blew up worlwide, the contempt showing in his mouth that we dare to ask questions of princes.

Advertisement