Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems going from 3.8ghz to 4, i5-760

• 22-02-2011 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, was bored the last couple of days so decided to mess around with my cpu

Heres my current bios settings

Base Freq 181
    Cpu Ratio 21
    EIST/C1E/OC stepping/Genie etc disabled

Ram timings are stock 9-9-9-24
    I have it set to a memory ratio of 4, works out @ 1448mhz, slightly over the stock speed

Load line calibration is off
    cpu v 1.187
    cpu vtt 1.174
    pch auto?
    dram v 1.560 , I had to slighty increase it cause it wasnt 100% stable @ 1.5 (ram is corsair xms3 CL9)

Here some screenshots of temps and cpu

2inl86.png

ranoux.png

2h4w7ix.png

This is my cooler btw http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28326&agid=669

Min temps were taken on idle, and max after running prime for a hour or so

Iv tryed setting it to 4000, both with 21x19 and 200x20 in the bios, every time Iv ran into problems with prime, When the voltages got abit higher it didnt crash in prime after the first 10 mins or so, but the temps got into the high 70`s, so i stopped it be careful.

Reckon I prolly need a better cooler? Or does anyone have any suggestions

Whats bugging me is I dont see why for an extra 200mhz I would need to increase the voltage to say 1.35 or so, considering its stable atm on my settings

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You were lucky enough to hit 3.8GHz @ <1.2V, there are i5s out there that need that much to run stably at 3GHz! :o

You only have a mini-tower cooler so I'm not surprised it can't handle 1.35V. Sucks that you seem to have a stability jump issue... tried 19*211 yet? Lynn likes odd multiplier numbers for some reason... Also keep an eye on RAM speed and the chipset might need a wee voltage hike too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've not experienced iCore yet so can't offer any advise, but some mobo's are like that, they hit a wall and then need a big jump in voltage to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Solitaire wrote: »
    You were lucky enough to hit 3.8GHz @ <1.2V, there are i5s out there that need that much to run stably at 3GHz! :o

You only have a mini-tower cooler so I'm not surprised it can't handle 1.35V. Sucks that you seem to have a stability jump issue... tried 19*211 yet? Lynn likes odd multiplier numbers for some reason... Also keep an eye on RAM speed and the chipset might need a wee voltage hike too!

Ill try 19*211 tomoz, would be interesting to see if it makes any difference

Im just trying to get the absolute max out of the chip for sli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

noctua nh-d14 could be the answer....
    my 760 is chugging away nicely @ 4.2 ghz(200x21) and 1.2875v and my noctua nh-d14 is keeping it @65c while running prime......But i think I have a freaky chip though...As I can run it @ 3.6ghz stable using only 1.06v....

I wish I had your chip :(

• Advertisement

I wish I had your chip :(

Im no tech head but it doesnt make sense to me how they can differ so much..:confused:

If I upgrade at the end of the year I will slip it, and the mobo in the post to ya:cool:

Have it going at 3.9 atm after a few more tests, 1.2vcore temps are the same so no worries

Musttt gettttt another 100mhz! :pac:

4000 is such a lovely round number!

nuxxx wrote: »
    Have it going at 3.9 atm after a few more tests, 1.2vcore temps are the same so no worries

Musttt gettttt another 100mhz! :pac:

4000 is such a lovely round number!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

dwighet wrote: »

:pac:

nevermind i have given up! after hours of trying :(

its stuck on 3.875ghz, even a 1 notch up from that will fail intel burn test :( And thats after adding alot more vtt and core voltage :(

Tryed underclocking/overvolting the memory too cause I thought running 3 dimms might be causing a problem.

Last thing im gonna do is run only 2 dimms like it should be anyway and see if that helps

To be honest im very happy with 3.9 + - , especially with the temps/voltage and a poor cooler, will update soon

Maybe a BIOS update? Sounds like its hit a brick wall anyway. Back when it was released the first revision of the GA-H55N-UD3 pretty much capped out around 3GHz with Lynn :eek: A BIOS revision later (which went into the later batches as standard) and people are competing to be the first to get quad i5s and i7s over the 4GHz mark... on an mITX mobo :D:P

• Advertisement

Maybe a BIOS update? Sounds like its hit a brick wall anyway. Back when it was released the first revision of the GA-H55N-UD3 pretty much capped out around 3GHz with Lynn :eek: A BIOS revision later (which went into the later batches as standard) and people are competing to be the first to get quad i5s and i7s over the 4GHz mark... on an mITX mobo :D:P

Ye its something I havent tryed yet, im just afraid if I run a bios update I`ll have to start from scratch? I just managed to get my 460 to 925 @ 1.087 too lol, i guess overclocking is starting to become an addiction for me lately :pac:

Theres loads of updates available for this board too, maybe it would be worth doing http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55-GD80.html#/?div=BIOS

I havent touched it since I`v got it

Use the MSI unofficial updater off their forums, it lets you flash via USB stick quickly and easily.

It could be that the stock mobo has a slight antipathy against the i5-760, as its an old mobo and may not have the 760 as an officially supported CPU on the oldest BIOS versions. Reviews have the same mobo reaching for 4.1GHz on an old i5-750 so it could be the BIOS or just plain old-fashioned bad luck with the CPU itself :o

Use the MSI unofficial updater off their forums, it lets you flash via USB stick quickly and easily.

It could be that the stock mobo has a slight antipathy against the i5-760, as its an old mobo and may not have the 760 as an officially supported CPU on the oldest BIOS versions. Reviews have the same mobo reaching for 4.1GHz on an old i5-750 so it could be the BIOS or just plain old-fashioned bad luck with the CPU itself :o

Seems straight forward, will give it a go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i had the msi p55 gd-65 and my i5-750 done 4.2 no prob,s i found it to be a great mobo but i always keep my bios,s up to date so ye try that

Advertisement