Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Jayzesake wrote: »
    What was it that had to be said? (If you'd prefer not to go into it, that's o.k.)

Sorry for the delay; he pointed out the state of the reserve in Belmullet. It needs stuff done that was agreed on but has been slow to be done or does not look like being done at all. This was 2 minutes in the middle of a 5 hour debate about procedures that may or may not have been illegal among the BWI board from 2 years earlier.

It was kind of sad how little was spent discussing birds and I really hope BWI can now move on.

Des

At the AGM in 2014 one of the motions was lack of management at ECNR. The reserve had fallen into disrepair. Another reserve in Mayo is in a bad state through improper management.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
    The ECNR was indeed in a dire state. It went from having a full time manager/warden to having none at all. It got vandalised and looked very sad. This was fixed a bit by work parties of volunteers (Niall Keogh organised) and also by voluntary work by the previous warden. That warden now works part-time there and the situation is stable. This is a political and educational site as much as a conservation one and teh cut back was simply a matter of BWI not having the money to maintain it. That situation is now stable; BWI finances are now back in the black.

The Mayo reserve is an urgent conservation issue and it is a very sad state of affairs if it is not sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Desmo wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay in replying.
    The ECNR was indeed in a dire state. It went from having a full time manager/warden to having none at all. It got vandalised and looked very sad. This was fixed a bit by work parties of volunteers (Niall Keogh organised) and also by voluntary work by the previous warden. That warden now works part-time there and the situation is stable. This is a political and educational site as much as a conservation one and teh cut back was simply a matter of BWI not having the money to maintain it. That situation is now stable; BWI finances are now back in the black.

The Mayo reserve is an urgent conservation issue and it is a very sad state of affairs if it is not sorted.

There are plenty of enthusiastic young fellows to whom hard graft is no problem. There needs to be a few replacements made, don't think it will happen though. It took niall keogh to sort out the ECNR . Wasn't his job but he
    had the initiative, that's the people you need. One thing for sure i'm finished with BWI.

There are plenty of enthusiastic young fellows who hard graft is no problem. There needs to be a few replacements made, don't think it will happen though. It took niall keogh to sort out the ECNR put. Wasn't his job but had the initiative, that's the people you need. One thing for sure i'm finished with BWI.

That is a real shame but I understand your reasons. BWI got diverted from its primary aims and goals and then ran out of cash and dragged itself into a controversy that should have been easier to deal with.

That is a real shame but I understand your reasons. BWI got diverted from its primary aims and goals and then ran out of cash and dragged itself into a controversy that should have been easier to deal with.

Problems in Mayo not due to money more due to lack of effort. The reserve in question is 25 acres and has been owned/managed for 13 years yet the place is on a poor state. Overgrazing, rank cover beds, foxes left breeding in the middle of reserve, incorrect fertiliser. Invasive plant species left growing on reserve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

There are plenty of enthusiastic young fellows to whom hard graft is no problem. There needs to be a few replacements made, don't think it will happen though. It took niall keogh to sort out the ECNR . Wasn't his job but he
    had the initiative, that's the people you need. One thing for sure i'm finished with BWI.

ECNR was always going to be a tad tricky to administer, it's location re vandalism isn't great and the fact that there are in effect two separate entrances quite away apart wouldn't help either.
    As said Niall Keogh seems to be on top of things but IMO there needs to be an easier internal connect between the two 'parts'
    BWI has been going through a bad patch but in my experience these things often happen in cycles and they probably need as much positive input as possible to get over the hump, after all there isn't really an alternative..

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    ECNR was always going to be a tad tricky to administer, it's location re vandalism isn't great and the fact that there are in effect two separate entrances quite away apart wouldn't help either.
    As said Niall Keogh seems to be on top of things but IMO there needs to be an easier internal connect between the two 'parts'
    BWI has been going through a bad patch but in my experience these things often happen in cycles and they probably need as much positive input as possible to get over the hump, after all there isn't really an alternative..

The ex warden also deserves credit as he helped on a voluntary basis for a bit and is now back part time.

The ex warden also deserves credit as he helped on a voluntary basis for a bit and is now back part time.

They let him go, but he continued to work voluntary. That show's great commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Checked on a little patch of Orchids near where I live yesterday and was delighted to see four Bee Orchids in bloom. Also four Pyramidals and 56 Dactylorhizas.

Max number of Bee Orchids at this site over the last few years:

-2010: 8
    -2011: 8
    -2012: 8
    -2013: 2
    -2014: 8
    -2015: 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96126853&postcount=5681

This Reminded me of a similar but weirder incident that happened a few years ago at the Centra in Kilcoole. To fully get a sense of what happened you'll need to have a look at the Streetview below. Note that the Centra has a sliding door.

https://goo.gl/maps/zPBfB

As I was walking into the store (by the column), I heard a Starling calling out in alarm and saw one being pinned to the ground by a Sparrowhawk on the "Stop" line. At the same time, a car was exiting the car park, bearing down on the Sparrowhawk with its catch.

Before I knew it, the Sparrowhawk took off and flew past me - straight into the Centra. Thankfully, I had been close enough that they had already opened. I didn't exactly fancy dealing with an injured Sparrowhawk (and a Starling).

I chased after the Sparrowhawk down the fast food aisle hoping to scare it back out again, but lost sight of it. As I turned back, I saw the Sparrowhawk flying back out the front door (which was still open), but without the Starling. Couldn't find the Starling despite having a good look in the store - hopefully it found its own way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I came upon a different bird predation scenario yesterday while walking a green road in the Burren. Heard this bird commotion from a patch of hazel scrub - a lot of squealing and squawking going on. Expected to see a Sparrowhawk in chase or with prey but after about 3 minutes seen 2 blackbirds exit the hazels at speed with a magpie in pursuit. Then, with the blackbirds alarm calling as they dived into more scrub cover, swallows and meadow pipits in the area started mobbing the magpie quite aggressively until it flew away. Possibly the magpie was attempting to predate a fledgling blackbird nest ? The blackbirds managed to escape on this occasion, aided and abetted by the combined mobbing of several other species - all for one in the bird world !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Something making a racket in the local woods the last few days. I suspect young LL Owls. I take it they would be starting to fledge now??

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Something making a racket in the local woods the last few days. I suspect young LL Owls. I take it they would be starting to fledge now??

I would think that fledgling LEO's would be more vocal at nighttime ? But perhaps others here may have experience of daytime calling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

A few little grebes in Herbert park, first time I see them there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not happy. Just had to put one of our robins out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just watched a female Blackbird feeding a juvenile, a cheeky Starling joined in and begged for food too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just saw this in my timeline, a pair of Meadow Pipits feeding a Cuckoo chick.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdinguk/permalink/10154145858694535/

Amazing footage on BBC's Countryfile a while ago of a Welsh farmer who feeds hundreds of Red Kites on his farm everyday..magic, look forward to hopefully seeing the same thing here in the future..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^^^ Linkage with vids: http://www.gigrin.co.uk/latest/

Great! Thanks for that... Just watched a couple vids to remind me again...awesome is a very overused word these days but for those of us where a sighting is still a real novelty, I think it can safely be used in this case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I saw my first kingfishers yesterday, near Botterstown following the Nutley stream towards the Martello tower.

I went specifically to look for them. Unfortunately I could not get a photo as each sight lasted a few seconds.

gzoladz wrote: »
    I saw my first kingfishers yesterday, near Botterstown following the Nutley stream towards the Martello tower.

I went specifically to look for them. Unfortunately I could not get a photo as each sight lasted a few seconds.

I saw my first kingfisher there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Recorded new species in garden today: willow warbler

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Recorded new species in garden today: willow warbler

The willow warbler is still in Garden(CITY garden) a week later two possibly three of them.
    At least I think its a willow warbler I don't know
    Beautiful bird they kind of hover at back of plants like ferns and pick off insects from underside of leaf
    What are they doing in city have they paused on their winter migration route
    there is a good few trees in the garden.

best shot I could get with my crap camera thru window about size of bluetit
    Is it a willow warbler?
    20959450055_463680d018_b.jpg

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The willow warbler is still in Garden(CITY garden) a week later two possibly three of them.
    At least I think its a willow warbler I don't know
    Beautiful bird they kind of hover at back of plants like ferns and pick off insects from underside of leaf
    What are they doing in city have they paused on their winter migration route
    there is a good few trees in the garden.

best shot I could get with my crap camera thru window about size of bluetit
    Is it a willow warbler?
    20959450055_463680d018_b.jpg

Are both pics of same bird Keplar ? You mentioned there were a number of them Just looking at first pic seems like willow warbler ok, but second bird has darkish legs and appears to have shortish primary (wing) feathers - may be just the light / angle of shot but could it be a Chiffchaff ? Probably the experts here will be able to confirm ID - both species tricky to tell apart on plumage pics alone ? Other opinions ??

Are both pics of same bird Keplar ? You mentioned there were a number of them Just looking at first pic seems like willow warbler ok, but second bird has darkish legs and appears to have shortish primary (wing) feathers - may be just the light / angle of shot but could it be a Chiffchaff ? Probably the experts here will be able to confirm ID - both species tricky to tell apart on plumage pics alone ? Other opinions ??
    Leg colour can be difficult to see when light is bad. Hard to see the wings as well from photo (short chiffchaff, long willow warbler). The call would be the best clue.

That was same bird defo,
    Found this video ID guide by BTO on youtube
    I say willow warbler based on it.

No sign of them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Anybody notice that there's no beech nuts this year, and the acorns haven't developed at all.
    So there will be a lot of birds and small mammals looking for an alternative food source this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

thyme wrote: »
    Anybody notice that there's no beech nuts this year, and the acorns haven't developed at all.
    So there will be a lot of birds and small mammals looking for an alternative food source this winter.

Beech nuts here ok. Acorns are plentiful if a little late developing but they will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Beech nuts here ok. Acorns are plentiful if a little late developing but they will be fine.

Something strange must have happened to the trees around here so.

We have a lot of beech and oak trees here and no nuts on ether tree, the acorns turned blackish and never developed.

Some beech trees are producing new growth while others are nearly leafless, very strange.

Advertisement