Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA to Ireland power adaptor

• 17-06-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an American gadget that has the 2 thin blades on the plug. I need to get an adaptor that adjusts the voltage so I can plug it in here.

Can anyone tell me what I need to get and how much it'd be?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have an American gadget that has the 2 thin blades on the plug. I need to get an adaptor that adjusts the voltage so I can plug it in here.

Can anyone tell me what I need to get and how much it'd be?

Cheers
    Guess your in waterford.Kavanaghs electrics have them and theyre somewhere betwee 5-10 euro if even

EDIT: Ive no idea about the voltage adjustment but I use it on a couple camera chargers,phone chargers and razors without issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Guess your in waterford.Kavanaghs electrics have them and theyre somewhere betwee 5-10 euro if even

EDIT: Ive no idea about the voltage adjustment but I use it on a couple camera chargers,phone chargers and razors without issue

Sound. They'll adjust the voltage and fit the Irish socket at the same time? Just as well I asked, I thought it'd be way dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sound. They'll adjust the voltage and fit the Irish socket at the same time? Just as well I asked, I thought it'd be way dearer.
    I really have no idea about the voltage. I just know nothing blown up yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Check if it states the input voltage on the gadget.
    Many devices will run on 110-240v, 50-60 Hz.
    If this is the case, then all you need is an adapter. The voltage will not need to be adjusted.
    If it's 110v, 60 Hz only, then don't use the adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I use a Radio Shack adapter / Voltage converter. I don't have it here at the moment, I'll reply with the model number on Friday, and you can google it.

It's wasn't too expensive - around €20.

(PM me - in case I forget to reply on Friday)

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Peats, Maplins, D.I.D anywhere like that will have them.
    Ask for a USA to UK/IRL Converter. It will step-down the voltage to 110v which is what USA products run on. Mine was €15.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

double check the unit to see what it says
    laptop power supplies normally run from 90-250V and desktop computers have a switch fro 110v or 220v

on the unit it will say how much power it will use
    the transformer will have to be able provide up to this much power

for small devices adaptors are easy to get

for something like a microwave over or hair drier the transformer will cost more than the gadget :(

If the gadgets use a wall-wart / extrenal transformer then you could replace that with another with the same voltage and same or greater amps
    don't use the pound shop ones they aren't regulated , they would be ok with lights and fans but not electronics or expensive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

on the unit it will say how much power it will use
    the transformer will have to be able provide up to this much power
    /QUOTE]

You will have to buy a unit that can tolerate about 25% more power than the maximum described on your appliance. So, for a microwave (for example) that is 750W, your transformer will have to be rated for about 1000W. If you don't have this safety margin, you could end up blowing the transformer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

i have no idea about what your talking about (so dont blame me if its blows up!) , just get an adaptor in tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You will have to buy a unit that can tolerate about 25% more power than the maximum described on your appliance. So, for a microwave (for example) that is 750W, your transformer will have to be rated for about 1000W. If you don't have this safety margin, you could end up blowing the transformer.

Excellent point ! A typical 700W Microwave Oven (the one in my kitchen :) ) consumes about 1150 Watts from the mains supply therefore a trafo with a rating of a bout 1300 - 1500 watts would be preferred. The point being a simple passive adaptor may not suffice. The device might only work from a 110VAC supply ! Check the INPUT rating of the device - as can be seen from the microwave oven example above, the output power (700W) does not indicate the input power. Efficiencies need to be catered for.

Another point to note, A device designed to work from a 60HZ supply may not like being forced to use 50HZ ! For small devices you may get away with it but for larger power devices it may be an issue.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Folks,

Bought a 3DS XL in the US for my kids. Comes with 110/120v AC adapter. I guess I can buy a 110v to 220v step up down voltage converter? Where would best place to buy this be? I am in Athlone.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Probably cheaper to by a new charger rated at 220-230VAC on eBay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ozmo

goalie2 wrote: »
    Folks,

Bought a 3DS XL in the US for my kids. Comes with 110/120v AC adapter. I guess I can buy a 110v to 220v step up down voltage converter? Where would best place to buy this be? I am in Athlone.

Cheers

Also - some decent ac adapters can tolerate either input voltage 110v or 220v without issue - check the label on the adapter - if its one of these then you just need a cheap adapter block and not a step down transformer.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement