Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Factions Server 1.3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

It's whining when you are not offering anything constructive. What exactly do you want us to change? Give us specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

I have given constructive comments, your just not reading my Posts!

As I have suggested numerous times, Don't attack a faction with persay, less that 25% of its members online for factions under 5 members and 10% for above 5.

Wait to before a faction at least a basic defence up before you attack. I Think it would be a good idea that for a full scale war, it should be announced with some time to prepare before the engagement.

Just think even we could have battles arranged to determine the outcome of a war, with a treaty being worked out before hand which is fair to both sides. These battles could be in the swamps, on the plains or even the peaks of mountains.

Also, I support Kenno and Dec's idea of making wee hamlets, perhaps we could agree not to blatantly set out to destroy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Farcheal wrote: »
    Just think even we could have battles arranged to determine the outcome of a war, with a treaty being worked out before hand which is fair to both sides. These battles could be in the swamps, on the plains or even the peaks of mountains.`

Just like a real war...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

So lets say we agree no attacking bases and we only have arranged wars on a predetermined spot.

We are no longer playing factions, We are now playing vanilla minecraft with a spleef arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Botulism wrote: »
    Just like a real war...

Mmm no I don't think Rommel told Montgomery to meet up for 12 and be back for tea at 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Mmm no I don't think Rommel told Montgomery to meet up for 12 and be back for tea at 5.

/OT History

The most "gentlemanly" of the fronts in the second world war was in fact the African Front. Hans Von Lucks memoir records some of these anecdotes nicely. It's a great book, well worth a read if you even have a vague interest in the area.
    Some of these incidents we're recorded nicely in a In the Second World War events of similar fraternization took place in North Africa between British and German units. That never prevented battle being resumed in earnest thereafter.

The late Hans von Luck records in his memoirs ‘Panzer Commander’ several instances of contact of a friendly nature between British and Afrika Korps units: On one occasion von Luck, facing the 1st. The Royal Dragoons, received a radio transmission from the British asking about the well being of a British patrol that had gone missing. Von Luck confirmed that the men had been captured, and were in fine form. After this a regular 5 pm cease fire was established (this wasn't a coincidence that this was around tea time), and the two sides swapped information about men captured and their conditions

BX 19 wrote: »
    /OT History

The most "gentlemanly" of the fronts in the second world war was in fact the African Front. Hans Von Lucks memoir records some of these anecdotes nicely. It's a great book, well worth a read if you even have a vague interest in the area.

Tl;dr the link.
    Are you saying they decided to meet up for battle or not?

Tl;dr the link.
    Are you saying they decided to meet up for battle or not?

They discussed the condition of their POWs each day at 5pm.

They discussed the condition of their POWs each day at 5pm.

Which of course has nothing to do with what I was talking about....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

sausage you whopper nerd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Which of course has nothing to do with what I was talking about....

It was a little anecdote, nothing more.

Ok so the server needs to be changed. You can blame MnC/AWE all you want but most of us just played the way the settings encouraged to in an attempt to gain the loot. When we raided DT the cobble mountain was initially a bridge to bring creepers in to destroy chests however it grew in an attempt to stop the flow of water from their roof when we thought the water was preventing damage, We gave up.

Fast forward to our raid on Creeps. The initial cobble mountain was an attempt to move the water from around the top of their base so we could dig down easier. Once we got stuck inside more mountains were built in an attempt to remove the remaining water from the hole we had dug so creepers could be used to free us. The removal of half a base worth of obsidian was in retaliation for not gaining the loot we had earned. This all comes down to us having control of the bases but still not being able to open the chests.

But that is history, Now with the experience from the above I have some suggestions that everyone should listen to and then improve on. I initially wanted a fresh reset with a normal map(no factions) but then realised that we then accept defeat. So here is my new suggestions!

TNT is disabled outside of the battlefield.
    Fire is disabled outside of the battlefield.
    Creeper Damage is disabled always.

Cobble mountains are bannable.

Factions may claim land and in this land only faction members may destroy blocks.
    Factions can not build within X chunks of each other.
    Spawn will a large neutral zone for everyone, Should contain a town.
    Any player should be able to open chests and doors, However doing so should come with a penalty(I will discuss this in a moment).
    Killing other players without a sanctioned war should come with a penalty.

Now for the details.

Faction A sneak up to Faction B, Quickly declare war and kill them. This should be considered murder and will incur a penalty.
    Faction A consults with a council of officials(A neutral faction maybe?) and schedules a war to happen X Days from now in an arena(This will be discussed later.).

Faction A sneaks into Faction B's land, And loots chests. This will be considered theft and will incur a penalty.
    Faction A beats Faction B in a sanctioned fight, And loots their chests legally.

My vision:

Players can kill and loot all they want but doing so without either earning the right or having it sanctioned will result in a penalty.

When someone opens a door or chest that is not in their land it is announced over chat along with the cords maybe?, Alerting everyone to the break in. An Gardai(Or any other vigilante player!) will be tasked with catching the culprit(s). Once the culprit(s) are caught they are put in a jail in the middle of the neutral town for a certain time as punishment(This does not seem severe enough...). All stolen goods are returned.

If factions want to go to war, They must declare so and give a certain amount of time(X Days). They will fight on a battlefield which they will build themselves(Or could hire someone else to build).

A large arena with seats not part of the actual map(Flat land, Maybe 100x100?) will be set as the battlefield and each faction will be tasked with building their defences/traps etc there(Maybe like dwarfs vs zombies? I never played it so I am not sure!) between the time the war is declared and fought. This way all the destruction that wars cause is kept from the actual map, preserving any structures players may have built and allows for an almost normal map to take place while still being factions.

The winning faction is then allowed the spoils of war(Perhaps the chests from the losing side?) if some supreme figure(Admins?) agree it was a good fight. This means that both sides should be happy,The winning side will get the chests(Which currently does not happen) and the losing side will have lost legitimately. The number of participants must be agreed on(Allowing smaller factions to take on the larger ones) before hand.

Basically, I sort of want a copy of the real world. You can steal and murder but doing so should come with serious repercussions. I do agree that we have been acting like bullies but I still defend our actions as the server made us do it(oh god... :o).

What do you think? I am not sure if this is even possible but it sounds fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Some of the points seem decent, others I don't think would work.
    Factions declaring war is a must before attacking, but when declaring war, there must be a period of time when they can't attack.
    Sneaking in and looting is part of the fun, but should only be done so it only works when players are online.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

or we could all grow up and admit war isn't fair? Cause we all agreed to play this game!

Xenon560 wrote: »
    Some of the points seem decent, others I don't think would work.
    Factions declaring war is a must before attacking, but when declaring war, there must be a period of time when they can't attack.
    Sneaking in and looting is part of the fun, but should only be done so it only works when players are online.

When war is declared, A set period of peace happens(X Days) during which time the battlefield is constructed. No other actions between the factions can take place.

How is that?

Also, You are right about faction members having to be online.

See? This is how you build a good server, With communication and discussion:)

Long ass post

I really disagree. Just because Farcheal is whinging constantly (despite having not been on the server in the last 5 days) and claiming to speak the opinion of "many" people (no list of names strangely enough...) Doesn't mean everything need to be changed.

A better suggestion:
    Have it so that when a faction switches to enemy with another, it is announced to everyone straightaway but doesn't actually come into effect for 20 minutes, giving the other faction time to prepare themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Some of completes points sound good but mighty complex to implement.

Its clear that this isn't working out as nicely as we'd like. The more powerful factions have allied and are hunting down the weaker ones as soon as the grace period is over.

That isn't against the rules it's good tactics, but it's difficult to enjoy the game if your resources are consistently stolen. What's worse is that even though the faction is defeated they have to start from scratch as their old base is now claimed by the winning faction.

As complete said there should be a spawn town where pvp is disabled and a few shops set up to trade.

I don't think an enemy faction sound be able to place blocks within another faction except ladders , even TNT should be limited to cannons. Once the majority of the power has been taken , the chests and doors become unlocked so the raiders can loot to their hearts content, but they cannot claim the land, so after the raid the defeated faction can return and maybe look to see if they missed any hidden chests :p

This gives the defeated faction a chance to recover faster and maybe plan revenge.

Just my two cents on the matter

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Some of completes points sound good but mighty complex to implement.

Its clear that this isn't working out as nicely as we'd like. The more powerful factions have allied and are hunting down the weaker ones as soon as the grace period is over.

That isn't against the rules it's good tactics, but it's difficult to enjoy the game if your resources are consistently stolen. What's worse is that even though the faction is defeated they have to start from scratch as their old base is now claimed by the winning faction.

As complete said there should be a spawn town where pvp is disabled and a few shops set up to trade.

I don't think an enemy faction sound be able to place blocks within another faction except ladders , even TNT should be limited to cannons. Once the majority of the power has been taken , the chests and doors become unlocked so the raiders can loot to their hearts content, but they cannot claim the land, so after the raid the defeated faction can return and maybe look to see if they missed any hidden chests :p

This gives the defeated faction a chance to recover faster and maybe plan revenge.

Just my two cents on the matter

Sounds good, but if we can't destroy anything, how do we find hidden chests in walls or under floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Sounds good, but if we can't destroy anything, how do we find hidden chests in walls or under floors?

Eh ... Well .... s hit :o

Maybe after they've won they can break blocks, but with that health penalty

Botulism wrote: »
    I really disagree. Just because Farcheal is whinging constantly (despite having not been on the server in the last 5 days) and claiming to speak the opinion of "many" people (no list of names strangely enough...) Doesn't mean everything need to be changed.

A better suggestion:
    Have it so that when a faction switches to enemy with another, it is announced to everyone straightaway but doesn't actually come into effect for 20 minutes, giving the other faction time to prepare themselves.

The thing is the current settings do not encourage long term playability which is something we all really want.

There is no easy solution.

Factions requires damage and people do not want damage so logically they can not have factions.

I've made my points, If the various people who have said they disagree with the way the server is currently could also do the same then we may be able to make something of it rather than moaning about this and that without offering viable solutions.

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »

I have the land for that and am already working on it, just finishing my house and moving all my stuff.

Is this all just a case of "sore losers" (not trying to be personal, just making a general point)? I really don't think there's a major issue with the server nor do I think much should be changed.
    We all had the same length of time to prepare when the server started. One side won, the other lost. If things went the other way and DT won the first raid, would we be in this situation?

Not trying to be controversial... just posing a question.

I think everyone should move on and forget about it! Lets go back to complaining about lag etc :P

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Is this all just a case of "sore losers" (not trying to be personal, just making a general point)? I really don't think there's a major issue with the server nor do I think much should be changed.
    We all had the same length of time to prepare when the server started. One side won, the other lost. If things went the other way and DT won the first raid, would we be in this situation?

Not trying to be controversial... just posing a question.

There is no "sore loser" about it, people just don't like the whole, kill players, claim land, raid chests, unclaim. Which I agree.
    When people go and make these dull ass, ugly obsidian bases and underwater, they think they are clever and using their intiative when it just dulls the game for everybody.
    Imagine if everybody did tht, it would be completely boring and no attacks.

It's easy to accuse people of being sore losers when your in a position where your completely safe and secure.

There is no "sore loser" about it, people just don't like the whole, kill players, claim land, raid chests, unclaim. Which I agree.
    When people go and make these dull ass, ugly obsidian bases and underwater, they think they are clever and using their intiative when it just dulls the game for everybody.

It's easy to accuse people of being sore losers when your in a position where your completely safe and secure.

So what do you suggest? You have described the core of factions and saying people do not like it. Fine, Factions should be removed and I agree.

You can either play smart, Or stop complaining. You can not force others to dumb down their bases just to make it easier for their enemy to get in.

This is the problem, People want easy to get into bases and then complain when they get raided. If the enemy can get into a base, The base is built wrong. It is your fault you lost everything and you have no right to complain.

What I have suggested earlier would solve all the problems however most people could not be bothered to read such a long post and offer some constructive criticism.

We raid someone, They stop playing. Is it our fault? No. This is factions, And we operate within the current settings. Accept the fact you can lose everything or go neutral.

Also, We are not safe. We got into Creeps base within 10 minutes. They had a better base than us. Moonraker has raided us twice already. Has he complained? Nope! He is actually playing as intended as well!

I'm not saying don't build bases that are superior to others. I'm just saying there is no fun when they are made impenetrable.
    Yes this new rule of breaking blocks with 3 hearts damage helps, but still.

As I've said before, I propose:

1) Ban excessive obsidian use. I have no problem with using it for certain rooms.
    2) Underwater is fine, but no combination with obsidian.
    3) Chests are not locked unless no one is online
    4) Certain items can be placed in enemy land such as ladders.
    5) Doors are locked
    6) When declaring war, a grace period is given.

This allows more fun and innovative ways of entering into people's bases and also imo forces people to think more wisely about how to make their base and hide their chests, rather than "oh, obsidian and underwater, done"
    The grace period after declaring war allows the other faction to prepare, especially if a newer faction.

But xen, we had great fun getting into creeps base because i was a challenge, and as we proved, not impossible either!

I'm not saying don't build bases that are superior to others. I'm just saying there is no fun when they are made impenetrable.
    Yes this new rule of breaking blocks with 3 hearts damage helps, but still.

As I've said before, I propose:

1) Ban excessive obsidian use. I have no problem with using it for certain rooms.
    2) Underwater is fine, but no combination with obsidian.
    3) Chests are not locked unless no one is online
    4) Certain items can be placed in enemy land such as ladders.
    5) Doors are locked
    6) When declaring war, a grace period is given.

This allows more fun and innovative ways of entering into people's bases and also imo forces people to think more wisely about how to make their base and hide their chests, rather than "oh, obsidian and underwater, done"
    The grace period after declaring war allows the other faction to prepare, especially if a newer faction.

You think our base is impenetrable? It takes 1 block to be broken in order to enter. That's a few seconds worth of effort. But of course, People complaining about bases being impenetrable and obsidian being overpowered yet they haven't even bothered to try to get in.

I'm just giving my two cents here.
    Imo, going to a faction's base and seeing all obsidian and thinking, well, time to mine a hole in it isn't as fun as seeing lets a castle and planning how to maybe climb over, or build a tnt cannon and once in, do I kill and loot or try and hide and loot. That's if I can find the chests that they hid somewhere.

• Advertisement

Did you look at the new updates? Obsidian bases under the sea are no longer 100% safe. Sure Creeps base was the exact same as ours, an obsidian cube under the sea in the middle of no where.

When a player is on from that team, you can destroy that obsidian and gain entry into the base.

You talk about it not being fun attacking an obsidian cube under the water. I can't speak for the other lads, but I had great fun trying to figure out how to stop the water source blocks above the roof so that I could break the obsidian without drowning.

The problem with a factions server is that everyone has an opinion and no matter how many changes are made to the rules, you never going to please everyone. I know that AWE and MnC were no happy with the new changes but we adapted to them and used them against Creeps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement