Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storage and APK files

Options
  • 21-05-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭

I was scanning my phone earlier with Micrsoft security and noticed it scanning APK files of apps Ive uninstalled. I would have assumed the files be deleted when the app is removed but theres a list of them. There is also a lot of APKs with just numbers.

Can I delete these a: all of them or b: the ones that were uninstalled or are they needed to run on the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

GBX wrote: »
    I was scanning my phone earlier with Micrsoft security and noticed it scanning APK files of apps Ive uninstalled. I would have assumed the files be deleted when the app is removed but theres a list of them. There is also a lot of APKs with just numbers.

Can I delete these a: all of them or b: the ones that were uninstalled or are they needed to run on the phone?

What were you scanning?? Android??

Where were you scanning?? Dalvik Cache??

Apk's infers Android, so what, where, is important!!

What Phone??

You can wipe Dalvik Cache any time, or use Titanium Backup to clean Dalvik....

but, until you be more specific, unable to suggest further.

Can you provide a Screen Capture or Screenshot from Phone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Where were you scanning?? Dalvik Cache?? I was scanning the card using Microsoft Security Essentials.

What Phone?? HTC Desire HD

The phone is not rooted. So I dont have Titanium installed or Dalvik?

Where were you scanning?? Dalvik Cache?? I was scanning the card using Microsoft Security Essentials.

What Phone?? HTC Desire HD

The phone is not rooted. So I dont have Titanium installed or Dalvik?

You do have Dalvik Cache as it is integral to Android... but it is most likely in your device Internal Memory.

I asked because some users move this, and Apps, to a Linux partition on their SD card.

You were using a [Microsoft] Windoze specific scanner to scan the SD Card which is essentially a part of a completely different OS: Android [Linux]

How apk files got on your SD is known only to you, but, certainly are not moved Apps, as these are in a "hidden" folder called

/sdcard/.android_secure

and do not have an apk extension...

What folder are these files in on your SD card?

Have you downloaded apk's from another source than Google Play/Market?

Have you made any backups of your apps or system...

if you have, these could be stored on your SD card in archive folders, and you Security SW may be scanning inside these folders, depending on your settings.

It might help if you could be more specific regarding where these files are on the SD, like what folder or directory.....

perhaps you could provide a screen capture of the Windows Explorer screen showing the apk's in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was scanning my phone earlier with Micrsoft security

Lol ^^

ED E wrote: »
    I was scanning my phone earlier with Micrsoft security

Lol ^^

Very illuminating Ed.

Says a lot about you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The OP is a non rooted user who scans a linux system with MSE. Think its safe to say that he should ignore such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

The OP is a non rooted user who scans a linux system with MSE. Think its safe to say that he should ignore such things.

I rather deal with a guy that does stuff like this rather than do nothing like never scan system, never install updates or any form of clean up/security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Although immune, a Linux system can infect a Windows one, this is the reason antivirus software for Linux exists. If the OP's downloading email attachments on Android it's a good idea to scan the files when adding the SD card to Windows

And, I gave a pretty comprehensive answer to his actual questions, which he or she may find helpful!!

It's a lot more helpful, to someone who may not be entirely au fait with Android.

better than Laughing Out Loud at someone....that is what I meant in my reply to you earlier.

Advertisement