Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does a God and an afterlife go hand in hand

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to believe in an afterlife without the belief in a God, or do the both go hand in hand?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you just going to ignore this thread now that you've opened it, like all your other threads?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is it possible to believe in an afterlife without the belief in a God, or do the both go hand in hand?

Yes.

Well, that was easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Of course and you could even add in elves fairies and moomins if you like - altough I'm pretty sure Moomins are actual mammalian creatures found in the mountainous regions to the N.W. of the Black Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can you give us a definition of god and an afterlife so we have something to work with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Is it possible to believe in an afterlife without the belief in a God

Yes.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

People believe all sort of rubbish for the most whimsical of reasons so of course some people will believe in one, or both, or none.

But just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yah I presume there are people out there who believe in ghosts and things but not god... They'll probably say something about energy... life-force... etc.

Interestingly, I was just about to start a thread (wasn't sure if I should do it here, psychology, or what) about consciousness, 'the self', and other such stuff... I fear you've taken the wind out of my sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Dave! wrote: »
    Yah I presume there are people out there who believe in ghosts and things but not god... They'll probably say something about energy... life-force... etc.

Interestingly, I was just about to start a thread (wasn't sure if I should do it here, psychology, or what) about consciousness, 'the self', and other such stuff... I fear you've taken the wind out of my sails.

About whether it's physical or magical?

About whether it's physical or magical?
    Presumably we're all pretty sure it's physical

But I've been thinking a bit lately, and I'm finding it hard to articulate what I'm thinking :p Basically I'm thinking that when people say stuff like "you're lucky to be here", and talk about how if your dad pulled out a couple of seconds earlier you wouldn't exist. I'm not sure there is a unique "you" (woah, deep...). There's certainly a combination of different genes and things that make you look how you do, and that contribute to your personality and other things, but what we think of as "us" is pretty much just the sum total of our memories and experiences, as opposed to us being born with a unique combination of characteristics, which we then use as a vessel for navigating through life experiences, which are completely seperate from who we are. What we think of as our unique make-up and perspective is really only an illusion, and someone only really becomes "who" they are by having experiences.

Does that make any sense? I've heard mention of the "illusion of free will", but I don't think I read much about it, so have I just unconsciously regurgitated something I got from somewhere else? :p

Discuss....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Of course and you could even add in elves fairies and moomins if you like - altough I'm pretty sure Moomins are actual mammalian creatures found in the mountainous regions to the N.W. of the Black Sea.

Moomins:
    Moomin may refer to:
    Wiki

Ya learn somthing new every day :pac:
    Dades wrote: »
    People believe all sort of rubbish for the most whimsical of reasons so of course some people will believe in one, or both, or none.

But just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sig material right there.

• Advertisement

Presumably we're all pretty sure it's physical

But I've been thinking a bit lately, and I'm finding it hard to articulate what I'm thinking :p Basically I'm thinking that when people say stuff like "you're lucky to be here", and talk about how if your dad pulled out a couple of seconds earlier you wouldn't exist. I'm not sure there is a unique "you" (woah, deep...). There's certainly a combination of different genes and things that make you look how you do, and that contribute to your personality and other things, but what we think of as "us" is pretty much just the sum total of our memories and experiences, as opposed to us being born with a unique combination of characteristics, which we then use as a vessel for navigating through life experiences, which are completely seperate from who we are. What we think of as our unique make-up and perspective is really only an illusion, and someone only really becomes "who" they are by having experiences.

Does that make any sense? I've heard mention of the "illusion of free will", but I don't think I read much about it, so have I just unconsciously regurgitated something I got from somewhere else? :p

Discuss....
    ThreadKiller.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Basically I'm thinking that when people say stuff like "you're lucky to be here", and talk about how if your dad pulled out a couple of seconds earlier you wouldn't exist.

I think I know what you're saying. It's the anthropic principle again. If a different sperm had reached the egg first, there may be someone else here instead of you saying how lucky they are.

Discuss....

How is this related to the first point? If events are deterministic then we were always going to be here posting this thread?

I had sided on the side of determinism over true free will, but I need to rethink it. Is anything truly random or merely chaotic?

Advertisement