Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

depression

• 15-01-2008 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

i know this post may seem light and not so serious as some of the others but is genuine. i know this may sound stupid but is there any kind of "quick test" to see if your depressed?
    i dont know if i am, sometimes i feel so bad i just cry but other times i love my life and am happy.
    im really confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

http://www.utexas.edu/student/cmhc/booklets/depression/depress.html

Depression

Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
    Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
    Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
    Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
    Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
    Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
    Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
    Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
    Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
    Restlessness, irritability
    Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 whoknows

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

is persistant. it can be characterised by many different types of symptoms.

some people cry all the time for no reason, some people have a lack of any emotion and feel empty. it is the persistance over time that usually indicates whether or not you are suffering from it.

everyone has a different emotional range. but for those that get very down,
    prevention is better than cure. if you feel you are spiralling downwards, or
    are feeling down for no reason then take care of yourself. good nutritious food, exercise, eight hours sleep a night, good company, and avoid stress.
    do things you like, and make sure you have a good support network of
    friends and family that you enjoy being around and that make you feel good.

and remember that emotions are just that - emotions. they pass.
    depression doesnt pass - it stays and stays until you get treatment.

not to make light of your feelings, take care of yourself. if you are suffering from depression following the recommendations in that link will really help, and even if you are not, they are still good to follow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

whoknows wrote: »
    i know this post may seem light and not so serious as some of the others but is genuine. i know this may sound stupid but is there any kind of "quick test" to see if your depressed?
    i dont know if i am, sometimes i feel so bad i just cry but other times i love my life and am happy.
    im really confused
    Assuming you're female it may just be mood swings due to hormones, there are ways to even these out (e.g. exercise helps AFAIK) without going on hormone based contraceptives so there are a fair few options.

Might also be that you're slightly bipolar.
    In both cases a visit to your GP might help assess what's up and point you in the right direction.

Advertisement