Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work leave for antenatal appointments

• 24-01-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I am 21 weeks pregnant and between one thing and another i have had quite a few appointments so far this pregnancy.

Up until today i was given the time off, no questions asked to allow me attend my appointments. I went to work before and after the sceduled appointment if needs be.

Today i informed my team lead of an appointment i have in february and he has said he will change my shift to a later shift so i wont miss work.

I was under the impression that if an appointment fell during work hours then that time was given off, end of.

What i want to know is if he can change my shifts or if this is not allowed?

This is my first pregnancy so im not really sure what is what but it doesnt seem fair that my shifts change just because i have an appointment when legally i am entitled to that time off?

Any advie would be great or if anyone could direct me to someone who would know, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

hey i got this off the citizen advice website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

"Medical visits
    Once your pregnancy is confirmed you may take reasonable time off for medical visits connected with the pregnancy. There is no maximum or minimum amount of time off specified for these visits. Rather, you are entitled to as much time off as is necessary to attend each visit. This includes the time required to travel to and from the appointment and the time taken for the appointment itself.

You will need to provide your employer with medical evidence confirming the pregnancy, giving 2 weeks’ notice of your medical visits. You should show your appointment card if requested by your employer at any time after your first appointment. You may also take time off for medical visits after the birth for up to 14 weeks following the birth. You are entitled to be paid while keeping these medical appointments both before and after the birth.
    "

Hope it helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm the devils advocate - I'm an employer - but also see ur side as am 36 weeks pregnant. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect ppl to try to change their shifts to facilitate appts, and then if not possible fair enough. Just my personal opinion but it can be quite take take take in society these days... I know even tho it's for myself I did try to arrange appts for outside work hrs, and worked around them. Obviously this is not always possible and that's fair enough your entitled to your appts but I suppose it does comes down to your work ethic.... Pls dont hate me.., ;) it's only my opinion! I was an employee for 5 yrs before becoming an employer and would have had the same attitude to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I think it's fairer for you to try and work around your appointments as they are paying you for this time off. Yes they legally have to, absolutely, but it's just fairer to be flexible and would come under the "reasonable time off" part.

I'm an employee, not an employer, but I've often had to reorganise my work load to cover other people's maternity apts in the past. In fairness they couldn't get an apt outside of work hours, it can be tricky.

I have the luxury of being able to do my GP apts outside of work hours and I'm opting not to do the free antenatal classes that are doing during work hours as I just don't feel right about it (that's completely a personal thing) going to do weekend ones. However for my big 20 wk scan and the midwife unit apts & scans near end of pregnancy, I will take time off work as they can only be done during work hours and I really can't miss them.

I would try as best you can to be flexible and get your apts outside of work hours or move your shifts and then when you reasonably can't, well that's that and you're certainly not going to miss an apt and shouldn't have to!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I would tend to agree with DL.

My appointments are always scheduled for 9am on a Wed. But I go into the hospital for 7.30 so I am out early enough - around 11 instead of 1.

All of my fertility treatment appointments last year were before work- mainly because I didnt want to have to explain to work or make up a fictional illness, but also because it impacts the team and puts my colleagues under pressure, it does not really impact my boss as such.

Work are pretty flexible with me-they dont bother docking wages if you are out sick a day or so, or have to leave and go home sick so I try to be flexible back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My shifts were always changed from 8-6 to 5-3, I had to give notice as I had to re-arrange my staff to cover me. As soon as I gave notice my hours were changed. If it was a doctors appointment I would be expected to go before work when working 11-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I wld tend do agree with dublinlady too.

If you have had a lot of appointments so far, and they have been accommodating so far, I don't think they're being unreasonable.
    Maybe he thought he was doing you a favour by re arranging your shift.

I had a private scan last week and because it was in the middle of the day, 40 minutes drive from my office, I took a days annual leave. I have my booking appt with the hospital on Friday, and they're giving me the time off to attend but the hospital is almost walking distance from the office! I've told them I'll come back in the afternoon if I get out before we finish up.

I think their has to be give and take on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

kildareash wrote: »

I had a private scan last week and because it was in the middle of the day, 40 minutes drive from my office, I took a days annual leave.

I cannot imagine doing anything else for an elective scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all your replies folks.

I totally get where you are all coming from and had i not been overly flexible and work many extra hours at no cost to the company i would most definitely change shifts to suit but as it is i am doing as much as i can and working many extra hours so really ive already worked up any hours ill miss. Also because my doc will be out i had to take that appointment ( i didnt purposely arrange for it to be during work as as much as ive had apts already during work hours ive also had the same arranged outside work hours)

I think it was more the attitude and way i was approached yesterday that made me question things!

But ive gotten things sorted now anyway thankfully and been advises that it loes in my hands what i want to do and because i feel real guilty now im gonna wwork and extra hour before my apt so i wont be in late and they wont be stuck

Apologies for the long winded reply and thanks so much for all replies :-) feeling a bit lost in what way things work so appreciate all your replies

Advertisement