Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep needed

• 24-01-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello,

I am 23 weeks pregnant and over the past two weeks have had major problems sleeping, I got a load of pillows for my legs, back, front in the hope that this would help but I still cant seem to sleep. I try to sleep on my left side as I read sleeping on back and right side is bad but I always wake up on my back, is this ok ? Can I sleep on my right side ?

In the last few nights I wake up as my left hip is in pain and I cant lie on that side. At this stage I dont know what to do it is bad enough having to get up 2/3 times a nite to pee without being awoken in pain?

Any help/advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Sleep however you feel comfortable enought to sleep! In the later stages you may find that you feel faint sleeping on your back, but if it works for you now, do it! It will do no harm sleeping on your right side either. I think I even half slept in my belly until quite lafe in my pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

My wife was always told not to sleep on her back when pregnant.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the-best-sleep-position-during-pregnancy_7608.bc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I was really worried about sleeping on my back after reading articles like above. But I was assured by many midwives and consultants not to worry about it and to sleep how I felt comfy so I wouldn't worry :)

I had awful back and hip pain and had numerous pillows of different types. Finally my other half went and bought a DreamGenii and it really made a difference they are quite expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Check adverts.ie for 2nd hand ones if you don't mind 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

That is actually kind of annoying, as my wife was told by the midwife not to sleep on her back! So she didn't, even though she was more comfortable on her back. How there can be so many differing opinions on something like this is odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Noopti wrote: »
    How there can be so many differing opinions on something like this is odd.

I have asked myself this very question about all aspects of maternity care in Ireland. There is huge differences about what is needed and what is safe during pregnancy coming from medical profession. I have decided to trust myself and my body more than medical profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I was wondering about this whole debate last week and my mother told me to cop on that there was no such nonsense in her day and did I think the cave women etc put this much thought into it and didn't they all get on fine! Haha - loved it! I think she's right I think being comfortable enough to actually get some sleep is more important for the baby and the mom! I'm 36 weeks and continuously waking up on back or right side even tho I start on left!! I suffer back pain and spend enough of the nite throwing pillows in and out of the bed so don't think stressing myself out over a nouveau theory would do me or my baby any help! My consultant agrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

dublinlady wrote: »
    did I think the cave women etc put this much thought into it and didn't they all get on fine!

I know! Its a wonder the human race survived so long without the medical profession really :rolleyes: Ah well, it keeps me in a job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Short, I found one of these pillows helped a lot with my last pregnancy;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MATERNITY-PREGNANCY-NURSING-SUPPORT-BODY-PILLOW-COVER-/380369947969?pt=UK_Baby_Maternity_Pregnancy_MJ&var=&hash=item9758b81dbb

Yes I did look like I was wrestling a crocodile when wrapped around it & husband was left with about 1/3 of the bed space, but it definitely helped me get a good night's sleep.

Advertisement