Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

1101102103104105107»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

Would they be a good buy in comparison to non imported models ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I personally wouldn't buy for the following reasons:

Interface on the console is in Japanese and sometimes it's not possible to change.

Sometimes they don't use the same parts.

They generally require an aftermarket immobilizer to be fitted.

They require 4 new tyres upon before registration as Japanese tyres are not legal on Irish cars.

They are a target for theft (see immobilizer note above)

I don't like the look of the square license plate.

In a tight market they can be competitive price wise, so if you can live with the above they can be a good value proposition.

Very interesting observations, would the fact that the cars were built in Europe with European parts not mean that the parts specs would be the same ?. The language problem on the dash would be a serious problem unless it's properly replaced. Saw an add for one & not sure if the number plate is still an issue. The lack of a service history would be off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

Hi, I’m just wondering what the story is re tax when buying a new (used) car privately.

it’s my first time buying so forgive my ignorance. But say I was to buy tomorrow, what is the process from there? I register the change of ownership but to my knowledge I cannot tax the car until after that’s done, so does it need to be left in the drive until then? I imagine this can take a week or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭User1998

Parts are largely the same and there is very little Japanese on most models. VW and Audi don’t have any Japanese apart from the radios which are usually swapped out. A lot of cars particularly German brands can fit normal license plates too. Most come with full service history although its in Japanese its usual easy to work out the dates and mileage.

You’d be surprised how many Jap imports are out there. Pretty much anything small and automatic is a Jap import

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Do used car prices tend to drop as soon as we hit a new year?

Probably not in the near future, new cars are still pretty hard to get a lot of manufactures are struggling to get the chips etc they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I've had someone contact me to buy my car through CarsIreland. Almost certain it's a scam of some sort.

They have said they want to buy my car, if I send them my name, mobile number and address they'll post me a chaeque. When cheque is cleared in my account they will arrange for transport to come and collect the car.

All this without even seeing it.

Anyone else ever had an offer like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's what I'm thinking.

They either want my details to scam me or someone will turn up to collect it before cheque clears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes either cheque won't clear or it will and will then be recalled by the issuing bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭supernova5

What are peoples thoughts on buying a quite old [11 years, 144.000 miles] car whereby current owner has a trouble free experience with the car. I mean nothing has broken down or no repairs of any kind to any of the engine or body structure [apart from the usual braking and regular service costs]

on the law of averages and taking age of car into account would it be reason to assume that from here forth many or all of the main expensive parts are going to start deteriorating [or already have] and going to need replacing.

What I am saying is, would it be more pragmatic and wise to buy a used car that you know has some of the more troublesome and expensive parts already replaced which reduces the chances/risks of them breaking down again?

Good question. I have my own car up for sale at the moment, and that is one of the things that I've highlighted as a plus, that it's never gone wrong. Other than routine servicing it's never missed a beat, it's a 2014 Audi A4 with 148k miles on it.

I suppose it can be taken two ways. The owner has been lucky and dodged all the incoming costs. Or that the car has been well looked after and driven well and with sympathy.

I've had cars in the past that I've even gone as far as replacing the whole engine, and still things continued to go wrong.

I think it more so comes down to how well a car has been treated. If it hasn't been thrashed, poorly serviced, no mechanical sympathy etc then it's a ticking bomb.

I know with my own car for example, when I start it from cold I won't put it in gear for 30 seconds to let oil pressure and temperature get up. Then for the first few miles I drive it really gently.

I see other jump in their car on a freezing morning, turn the key and drive off straight away at full speed. It breaks my heart to hear it 😨😂

How to tell which car you're looking at is the difficult part.

There's also the "Friday afternoon cars" which just break constantly. My managers last company car was one of these. In 3 years it had a new Turbo, new gearbox, and endless other fixes and was a brand new car.

What make of car is it? Build quality differs a lot between brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hods

I wish I had this advice before I paid €13,500 for a car from O'Briens Mazda Garage Cork, so far it has needed nearly €3,000 worth of work to put it right !!

It's so disheartening when you put your trust in the integrity of a business and then you're just let down so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trigger85

I'm in the market for a second hand car as I've a baby on the way. I currently drive a 06 ford fiesta and my wife is bugging me to change. My current car use is minimal as I WFH so it's mainly to the shops, the odd spin to the west and to Dublin (from Kildare).

I am not into cars at all to be honest (my radio doesn't even work!) but main thing I'm looking for is comfort and safety after being in my current car for so long.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Is there a thread that rates second hand dealers? I am hearing the odd horror stories mentioned here, but wonder if there were trusted boardsies who could recommend a good second hand dealer. Preferably in the Dublin/Kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your not going to get a thread like that left here because it would just end up with good v bad experiences of businesses from randomers which could ultimately get boards.ie in trouble legally for displaying it on their platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Fair enough I suppose. There are some negative references to a few places left around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭boardtc

10 years ago I bought a 5y old passat estate, now looking at a replacements prices for equivalent are 60+%. DD seems to be the most trafficked site... roughly what % of dealers put their cars up there?

Any tips on where I can find these Japanese imports for sale?

• Advertisement

A lot of Independent dealers are offering them apparently, I’m not aware of any in particular unfortunately.

ok...thanks, the DD search/filter promises to be good and has the country of registration filter of "other", for Passats what comes back is mostly 1.4L automatic so maybe than means japan alright,

I know this posts a bit old by now, but my first sign it’s a scam is they want to be by cheque 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

Howdy Folks,

Looking for some advice. Am thinking of buying a used 2013 Citroen C4 1.6 diesel with 200,000 kilometres. Is the mileage to high? It’s a second car for the trips around the town, a runaround as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why would you want a diesel car as a run around for trips to the shop? Diesel engines are not designed for that, your just potentially inviting trouble. Go with petrol for that kind of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

cheers thanks for the advice. Have switched my attention to a Renault modus 1.1 petrol 2010. Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Check out honest John or Parkers.co.uk which are quite good for reviews.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FurrySlippers

Quick question: I have to buy a car for a family member. Basically we buy the car, and pay all the costs, they just put fuel into it because they are hard up, with a young kid. Current car is at that cliff edge of unrepairable, is a diesel, and with short trips, ALL the short trip diesel problems.

The driver is also, let's just say, clumsy.

Budget is ~ 7 to 8k. (Assume 2k trade in (trade could spend 3k fixing the current car , and get 10k for it. Cleaned up, it is desirable, but we don't have that skillset, and can't trust the driver not to undo all cosmetic body repairs)...).

we want 2014 oldest, petrol, manual (clutch is cheaper than auto box to repair). Car must be fiesta sized at most. And cheap to repair.

Is there a reason we only see + 100k kms cars? And, what sort of mileage is scary for cars? We are sick of spending 2k a year keeping the old one on the road.

What happened to cars being worth less than a third of their value after 8 years or so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement