Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD My Net 750 Change IP Address

• 24-02-2013 4:54pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I got a new WD router My Net 750 .
    The default IP is 192.168.1.1 but during set up this changes some how to 192.168.6.1 . I have tried going into Lan Setting to change this to keep it in the same range as my router etc (192.168.1.*** ) but every time it reboots the IP is still 192.168.6.1 .My Thompson router also will no let me change to this range.
    Any suggestions or ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a new WD router My Net 750 .
    The default IP is 192.168.1.1 but during set up this changes some how to 192.168.6.1 . I have tried going into Lan Setting to change this to keep it in the same range as my router etc (192.168.1.*** ) but every time it reboots the IP is still 192.168.6.1 .My Thompson router also will no let me change to this range.
    Any suggestions or ideas?

Hold on, what are you trying to do? You definitely do not want double NAT (routing twice) as it will cause issues with the firewall
    http://gee.is/2012/07/26/double-nat-explained-and-possible-solutions/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am using the Thompson as a modem & the WD as the router.
    As the Thompson is UPC cable modem there is no real option of changing that.
    I want them both within the same range.

I am using the Thompson as a modem & the WD as the router.
    As the Thompson is UPC cable modem there is no real option of changing that.
    I want them both within the same range.

You can't have both within the same range (that is a conflict straight away) unless you turn the Thompson into a bridge or stop the WD routing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My previous Belkin router worked like that.
    Is there any downside to these being on different ranges?
    I thought you were supposed to keep everything within the same range.

My previous Belkin router worked like that.
    Is there any downside to these being on different ranges?
    I thought you were supposed to keep everything within the same range.

Lan and Wan on a router cannot be in the same subnet. A router is to route from on subnet to another. The downfall is that you must either double NAT or turn the WD router into a bridge

• Advertisement

OK, so is there any issue with having them in that config with 2 separate ranges?

OK, so is there any issue with having them in that config with 2 separate ranges?

The double NAT issue, if you've anything using plug and play to open ports on the WD router (game consoles, Skype etc), they will open on the WD but the ports will be closed on the Thompson. Have you any access to the Thompson? Can you get them add an IP to the DMZ (demilitarised zone) so it passes through the router without the firewall. Give the WD Wan port a static IP in the range of the Thompson and add this IP to the Thompson DMZ.

The problem is I can only port forward within the range of the Thompson and likewise i can only set up an IP within DMZ that's the same range also.
    Funny enough i just tried again to change the Thompsons IP adress. It worked but then the WD changed its IP from 192.168.6.1 to 192.168.66.1

The problem is I can only port forward within the range of the Thompson and likewise i can only set up an IP within DMZ that's the same range also.
    Funny enough i just tried again to change the Thompsons IP adress. It worked but then the WD changed its IP from 192.168.6.1 to 192.168.66.1

Sounds like you don't know what you're at :p

A router has two IP addresses, one on the Wan and one on the Lan. Nat (network address translation) is where the router translates packets from one subnet to the other (lan to wan and vise versa). The WD's Wan port will be in the range of the Thompson, it must be, otherwise it couldn't talk to it.

Pick an IP in the range of the Thompson and put it in the DMZ, make sure it's one that's outside the DHCP pool. Then add this IP to the Wan port of the WD, use the Thompson IP as the gateway and use your providers DNS server addresses

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sounds like you don't know what you're at :p
    Port forwarding & networks on a single device is no problem,but here I'm a bit out of my depth.
    But I think I'm getting somewhere.
    So here's the way its working now:
    Thompson is the gateway on 192.168.1.1 . On WD I set the WAN connection as static with an IP of 192.168.1.101 . Which is set as DMZ on the Thompson.
    The Thompson DCHP hands out IP from 192.168.1.102 -254 & the WD uses the Range 192.168.6.10 - 98 .
    Is that correct? If I try to put the WD into the same range I get an error
    The network ID of LAN 1 is the same with WAN 1.

• Advertisement

Port forwarding & networks on a single device is no problem,but here I'm a bit out of my depth.
    But I think I'm getting somewhere.
    So here's the way its working now:
    Thompson is the gateway on 192.168.1.1 . On WD I set the WAN connection as static with an IP of 192.168.1.101 . Which is set as DMZ on the Thompson.
    The Thompson DCHP hands out IP from 192.168.1.102 -254 & the WD uses the Range 192.168.6.10 - 98 .
    Is that correct? If I try to put the WD into the same range I get an error
    The network ID of LAN 1 is the same with WAN 1.

Yes that is correct, but I don't understand what you're saying at the end, put the WD into the same range? hat are you trying to do there?

The lan IP of the WD is 192.168.6.X, you do not change this, this is now the gateway your PC's and devices use.

Everything is working fine now. There is an alarm panel connected directly to the Thompson router so I've just left that with a static setting of 192.168.1.100 & the port forwarded from the Thompson so that works fine that way. I thought with the PCs on a range of 6.1 that that would not be accessible but it works.
    May thanks for all your time & patience. I hope I can return the favour sometime. ;)

No prob, glad to help. It really is a nasty stunt by UPC to use locked down routers you cannot configure or replace with your own. You should always be allowed configure your own firewall. Does the Thompson even do plug and play? All consoles need this, uTorrent and Skype too.

DMZ is basically turning off the firewall for that one IP address, thereby eliminating some of the double NAT problems. It is not the right way, but it's best in that situation.

The Thompson is a lot better than the Cisco. But I've not noticed plug & play settings . I've set up my consoles & network players manually.

The Thompson is a lot better than the Cisco. But I've not noticed plug & play settings . I've set up my consoles & network players manually.

Have you wireless on the Thompson, make sure they are not conflicting on the same channel.

I use all wireless channels set to auto.

I use all wireless channels set to auto.

No, set one to channel 1, the other to 11 or better still disable the Thompson wireless completely. Use Inssider on your laptop to see what channels are in use nearby (neighbours). any device using a channel, will interfere with the adjacent two channels, so using 6 will cause problems to 4,5,7 and 8. Post a screenie

Set those to manual channels
    ssider1_zpsc6248633.gif

Having one more problem. I have 2 HDDs connected to the WD router.
    They are accessible locally via FTP on 192.168.1.101 but I can't access them remotely.

Set those to manual channels

Channel 1 and 4 will conflict, move it to channels 6 (even though a neighbout is using channel 6)
    Having one more problem. I have 2 HDDs connected to the WD router.
    They are accessible locally via FTP on 192.168.1.101 but I can't access them remotely.

All devices connected to the WD should be in the 192.168.6.X range

Channel 1 and 4 will conflict, move it to channels 6 (even though a neighbout is using channel 6)
    Will do,thanks.

All devices connected to the WD should be in the 192.168.6.X range

They are USB Drives , they connect directly into the WD.
    They are accessible locally via FTP on Both 192.168.1.101 & 192.168.6.1 but not remotely even though 192.168.1.101 is DMZ .

• Advertisement

They are USB Drives , they connect directly into the WD.
    They are accessible locally via FTP on Both 192.168.1.101 & 192.168.6.1 but not remotely even though 192.168.1.101 is DMZ .

It does not know where to send the packets when it gets them. This is a drawback of double NAT and unlikely to be fixable. The packet arrives at the Thompson and has no idea where to go. You have no access to the firewall to tell it. You see now why DMZ isn't the ideal solution.

192.168.6.1 is the local address, 192.168.1.101 is the Wan port of the WD.

But does DMZ not mean everything goes to 192.168.1.101?
    Not a major thing anyway. Its accessible everywhere locally that the main thing.

But does DMZ not mean everything goes to 192.168.1.101?
    Not a major thing anyway. Its accessible everywhere locally that the main thing.

No Dmz means 192.168.6.101 appears outside the firewall ie unrestricted. What you're thinking of is called static Nat, not Dmz. Doubt you have that option if you don't have port forward.

There is port forwarding on the Thompson. I have tried forwarding port 21 to 192.168.1.101 . But it doesn't work. If I connect to the the Thompson network locally it doesn't connect either.

Why are you adding another router? Most peoples reason for adding another is that they cannot configure the firewall or even access the one they have. You are creating a messy situation with double NAT and DMZ. I'd run a mile from having a situation like that.

Think about it, a firewall drops unknown packets arriving at the Wan, it protects the lan ports. Port forwarding port 21 to 192.168.1.101 (ie telling the firewall where the packets on port 21 should go) will do nothing as it's in the DMZ (ie not firewalled at all). Anyway, that would just land the packet at the Wan port of the WD, the WD would have no idea where to send it as there is no port forward in place there, so it drops the packet.

The reason for the second router is partly to suit the cables I have in place and partly to get better wireless than what's on the Thompson.

The reason for the second router is partly to suit the cables I have in place and partly to get better wireless than what's on the Thompson.

OK, a better solution is to stop the WD routing completely, turn it into a wireless access point and 4 port switch. This way you only have the Thompson firewall to deal with and route once, a much better situation. Both could then be in the same subnet (as you've only one router). You could even give the wireless the same name and password and your devices would roam from one to the other

Does the WD have a setting for Access Point mode?

If not, the way you stop a router routing is to turn off DHCP and stop using the Wan port (tape over it). You can then disable NAT, the firewall and UPNP as you will not be using them. You must remove the IP from the DMZ of the other Thompson router. Give the WD the lan IP 192.168.1.101 so it's in the same subnet, this will be the IP you access it on after, disregard Wan, you'll not be using it.

Sounds like a plan. I guess that's the way my last router was set up.
    I'll give it a go later and let you know how it goes.
    Again , many thanks for your help with this.

OK, a better solution is to stop the WD routing completely, turn it into a wireless access point and 4 port switch. This way you only have the Thompson firewall to deal with and route once, a much better situation. Both could then be in the same subnet (as you've only one router). You could even give the wireless the same name and password and your devices would roam from one to the other

Does the WD have a setting for Access Point mode?

If not, the way you stop a router routing is to turn off DHCP and stop using the Wan port (tape over it). You can then disable NAT, the firewall and UPNP as you will not be using them. You must remove the IP from the DMZ of the other Thompson router. Give the WD the lan IP 192.168.1.101 so it's in the same subnet, this will be the IP you access it on after, disregard Wan, you'll not be using it.

All that worked a treat by the looks of things. Checking back that Belkin router was set up the way you described with the internet connected into a lan port. That is how it all worked on the same network range. Again many thanks for all your help & patience here. I owe you one...;)

• Advertisement

All that worked a treat by the looks of things. Checking back that Belkin router was set up the way you described with the internet connected into a lan port. That is how it all worked on the same network range. Again many thanks for all your help & patience here. I owe you one...;)

Be sure remove that IP address from the DMZ

Advertisement