Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling Rankings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

Position|previous|change|Team|Points
    1st |(1)|=|Galway|8918
    2nd |(2)|=|Tipperary|8780
    3rd |(4)|+1|Waterford|8700
    4th |(3)|-1|Cork|8684
    5th |(6)|+1|Kilkenny|8360
    6th |(5)|-1|Clare|8338
    7th |(7)|=|Wexford|8142
    8th |(8)|=|Dublin|8044
    9th |(9)|=|Limerick|7931
    10th |(10)|=|Offaly|7195

Cork's inactivity saw Waterford jump above them with their quarter final victory. Clare's defeat saw them drop below Kilkenny who finish 2017 in 5th rather than 6th, still their lowest final placing ever under Cody.

ALL-IRELAND SEMI FINAL

GALWAY (1) -v- TIPPERARY (2)

Galway won their second Leinster title and their second trophy of 2017 five weeks ago now, and are the favourites of many to finally end their 29 year McCarthy Cup drought. Tipperary are looking to end a drought of sorts as they seek to win back to back All-Ireland titles since their successful defence in 1962.

There aren't very many doubts about either team's prowess going forward, both have registered large scorelines in almost all their games, the unusual exception being Tipp's relative struggle to kill off Westmeath. Question marks loom over Tipp's full back line as Michael Ryan sticks to his guns with the Cathal Barrett situation, Clare briefly exposed that with a few quick fire goals but only briefly, time will tell, Galway haven't really been tested thus far in this season's championships, Tipp will have learned more about coping with their relative weaknesses than a Galway team who have had a relatively straight forward run to this point. Both teams have plenty of experience of the business end of the championship, both have made finals, and they both know a bit or two at hitting their peak at this time of year. They've given us two very good semi finals in 2015 and 2016, should be another absorbing tie this weekend.

Predicted result based on ratings gap; Galway by 1

The gap is fairly small points wise, both teams coming in on the back of three straight victories. I personally don't subscribe to the wide held view that Galway are strong favourites, this one is very much a 50:50 for me, can't really call a Tipp win a surprise! I'd tentatively agree with the predicted result.

PREVIOUS CHAMPIONSHIP MEETINGS
    1991: Tipperary 3-13; Galway 1-9. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    1993: Galway 1-16; Tipperary 1-14. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2000: Galway 1-14; Tipperary 0-15. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2001: Tipperary 2-18; Galway 2-15. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2003: Tipperary 1-18; Galway 1-17. (Pearse Stadium, Galway)
    2005: Galway 1-20; Tipperary 1-18. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2010: Tipperary 3-17; Galway 3-16. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2014: Tipperary 3-25; Galway 4-13. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2015: Galway 0-26; Tipperary 3-15. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2016: Tipperary 2-19; Galway 2-18. (Croke Park, Dublin)

28 meetings, Tipperary with 21 wins to Galway's 7. Tipp have overall dominated this tie historically but since 1987 things are fairly even with Tipperary winning 7 times and Galway 6 in the last 13 meetings.

CAVAN
    Highlight: It's good to have them back after a 6 year hiatus, finished their season on a major positive by hammering Fermanagh by 4 goals.
    Lowlight: Took a 20 point drubbing at the hands of Warwickshire in their first game back and went on to lose their next three games.
    Final 2017 ranking; 33rd
    Final 2016 ranking; N/A
    25 year high; 30th (1998)
    25 year low; 36th (2008,2009,2010)
    2018 objective; It's good to have them back but room for improvement, probably going to be too soon to expect them to be pushing for promotion in league or championship but need to spend a few years building up a bit of experience. (And if things don't go well, please keep at it and don't bugger off for 6 years again :()

FERMANAGH
    Highlight: Started their Meagher Cup campaign by coming out on the right side of an 8 goal thriller with Leitrim.
    Lowlight: Fell apart thereafter and followed up finishing bottom of division 3B by finishing bottom of the Meagher Cup group..
    Final 2017 ranking; 35th
    Final 2016 ranking; 31st
    25 year high; 25th (1996)
    25 year low; 35th (2017)
    2018 objective; As little as two years ago Fermanagh were a Meagher Cup winning side, at the very least they should be targeting final positions in both 3B and the championship once more.

LANCASHIRE
    Highlight: Won their first and second ever games and would now appear to be a competitive county at this level after two difficult introduction years. Defeated Fermanagh by 13 points in their breakthrough victory.
    Lowlight: Their heaviest defeat was a 9 point defeat away to Sligo.
    Final 2017 ranking; 34th
    Final 2016 ranking; 35th
    25 year high; 34th (2017)
    25 year low; 35th (2015,2016)
    2018 objective; Keep up the good work and maybe even push for a final spot, if Warwickshire can do it why can't Lancashire? Oh, and a win in the England derby would be nice.

LEITRIM
    Highlight: A good year for Leitrim culminated with a trip to Croke Park, a 7 point victory over neighbours Sligo in the last round of group stage games in what was essentially a semi final between the two will have been most satisfactory.
    Lowlight: They didn't have a great league campaign. Losing the Meagher Cup final will no doubt have hurt but getting there in the first place is definite progress for Leitrim.
    Final 2017 ranking; 32nd
    Final 2016 ranking; 34th
    25 year high; 31st (2007)
    25 year low; 36th (2011)
    2018 objective; Any team that gets to a final and loses will obviously have the ambition of going one better the following season.

SLIGO
    Highlight: Appeared set for a place in the Meagher Cup final after winning three of their opening four fixtures.
    Lowlight: Lost their 5th and final game in Carrick-on-Shannon which saw their neighbours Leitrim advance to the final at their expense.
    Final 2017 ranking; 31st
    Final 2016 ranking; 32nd
    25 year high; 25th (2004,2010)
    25 year low; 33rd (1998,2014,2015)
    2018 objective; They were a victory away from a final place in both the league and championship, will seek to go one better and push for promotion.

WARWICKSHIRE
    Highlight: Rounded off their championship by winning their second Meagher Cup.
    Lowlight: Victory in the Meagher Cup final will have made up for defeat in the Division 3B league final.
    Final 2017 ranking; 29th
    Final 2016 ranking; 33rd
    25 year high; 29th (2017)
    25 year low; 35th (2008,2009,2010)
    2018 objective; Retain their Rackard Cup status and win division 3B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Think Cavan's 2018 outlook needs looking at..

ARMAGH
    Highlight: Recovered from defeat to Donegal in the first round of the Rackard Cup and made it to the final.
    Lowlight: Relegated from division 2A but they always had their work cut out there, they would have had high hopes of defeating Derry in the Rackard cup final so that defeat will have hurt.
    Final 2017 ranking; 23rd
    Final 2016 ranking; 22nd
    25 year high; 21st (2010)
    25 year low; 28th (2003)
    2018 objective; They'll be competitive in both league and championship and they'll be aiming for the division 2B and Rackard Cup trophies.

DERRY
    Highlight: Recovered well from a disastrous 2016 and ended their season by winning the Rackard Cup at the first time of asking.
    Lowlight: A 10 point defeat at home to Wicklow in the league did terminal damage to their push for league promotion.
    Final 2017 ranking; 21st
    Final 2016 ranking; 24th
    25 year high; 10th (2001)
    25 year low; 24th (2016)
    2018 objective; Push for a place at the business end of the Ring Cup and stay clear of relegation play off. Should have a good shot at winning division 2B as well.

DONEGAL
    Highlight: Won a tight division 3A league campaign in style with a comprehensive 22 point victory over neighbours Tyrone in the final.
    Lowlight: 4 weeks later Tyrone returned the favour handing Donegal a 15 point drubbing in the Rackard Cup. A 37 point turnaround on the 3A final result....
    Final 2017 ranking; 25th
    Final 2016 ranking; 25th
    25 year high; 24th (2014)
    25 year low; 34th (1999,2000)
    2018 objective; They've tried and failed to retain division 2B status in the last few years so will look to tick that box. And get back to at least the semi finals in the Rackard Cup.

LONGFORD
    Highlight: Rounded off a strong division 3B campaign by pipping Warwickshire in the final.
    Lowlight: A wretched Rackard Cup campaign saw them lose both their games by a combined total of 48 points.
    Final 2017 ranking; 28th
    Final 2016 ranking; 30th
    25 year high; 25th (2002)
    25 year low; 34th (2012)
    2018 objective; Retain division 3A status and it would take some doing for them to somehow not improve on their 2017 Rackard cup. They're lucky there was no relegation from the Rackard cup this year, will need to do better next year to avoid the drop.

LOUTH
    Highlight: Unfortunately, nothing. Like Longford, they will retain their Rackard Cup status due to no relegation from that competition this year.
    Lowlight: In all competitions; played 8, lost 8.
    Final 2017 ranking; 30th
    Final 2016 ranking; 28th
    25 year high; 24th (2000,2001,2002,2003,2012)
    25 year low; 31st (1991,1992,2004,2015)
    2018 objective; They'll probably be favourites to win Division 3B, and they'll hope to retain their Rackard Cup status too.

MONAGHAN
    Highlight: A good league campaign where they only missed out on a place in the final on scoring difference.
    Lowlight: Made it to the Rackard Cup semi final only to suffer a heavy defeat to Derry.
    Final 2017 ranking; 27th
    Final 2016 ranking; 29th
    25 year high; 24th (1991,1992,1994,1998)
    25 year low; 33rd (2001,2007)
    2018 objective; They'll hope to push on a little more and claim the division 3A title. In the Rackard Cup they'll look to get back to the semi finals and give a better account of themselves this time.

TYRONE
    Highlight: They were competitive in both league and championship, making the league final. They gained sweet on revenge on Donegal in the Rackard Cup after taking a big beating from them in the 3A league final.
    Lowlight: They were competitive in both league and championship but both came to a close with crushing defeats, 22 points to Donegal in the league final, and 20 points to Derry in the Rackard Cup semi final.
    Final 2017 ranking; 26th
    Final 2016 ranking; 27th
    25 year high; 24th (1999)
    25 year low; 31st (2002,2003)
    2018 objective; You could nearly just copy and paste Monaghan's objectives from above, they should be competitive in both league and championship and should make the latter phases on both counts.

Thanks! Nice to know some people actually read these things!! :pac:

• Advertisement

1st |(1)|=|Galway|9004
    2nd |(3)|+1|Waterford|8700
    3rd |(2)|-1|Tipperary|8694
    4th |(4)|=|Cork|8684
    5th |(5)|=|Kilkenny|8360
    6th |(6)|=|Clare|8338
    7th |(7)|=|Wexford|8142
    8th |(8)|=|Dublin|8044
    9th |(9)|=|Limerick|7931
    10th |(10)|=|Offaly|7195

Galway still setting the pace, Tipp fall a position behind Waterford, only 16 points separating 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The winners of next weekend's game will take 2nd and the defeated team will finish the year in 4th.

Well that's just fcuking great boards

Spent an hour typing up season reviews for Ring Cup and McCarthy Cup teams. Hit 'Preview Post', and despite being logged in and having posted an hour earlier boards asks me to verify that I'm not a robot, makes me do one of those stupid captcha things, and once I submit it I'm redirected to a blank page. No preview, my post gone, can't go back. Quite pissed off at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That captcha thing is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Spent an hour typing up season reviews for Ring Cup and McCarthy Cup teams. Hit 'Preview Post', and despite being logged in and having posted an hour earlier boards asks me to verify that I'm not a robot, makes me do one of those stupid captcha things, and once I submit it I'm redirected to a blank page. No preview, my post gone, can't go back. Quite pissed off at that.

Are you a robot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Does not compute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Sympathies on that, I hope it doesn't put you off, this is a very interesting thread.

If I am ever doing a post that might be a bit complicated and require a detailed review I write it out in Word and copy the finished article to Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Thanks! Nice to know some people actually read these things!! :pac:
    Well done, great work! its the sort of analysis a paper should pick up for the summer months ...deserves a wider audience than on boards to be honest

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Sympathies on that, I hope it doesn't put you off, this is a very interesting thread.

If I am ever doing a post that might be a bit complicated and require a detailed review I write it out in Word and copy the finished article to Boards.

Not at all, I was just blowing off steam. I'm on boards nearly 10 years and I've probably posted around 3000 times and I've never had that issue or even heard of it on boards, an unpleasant surprise!

Might get a bit of time tonight to post it again.

ALL-IRELAND SEMI FINAL

CORK (4) -v- WATERFORD (2)

They meet again after their Munster semi final clash. That was eight weeks ago now in a game where Cork never really looked threatened, what has changed since then? Cork again always seemed in control against Clare, they always had a few points in hand and kept their cool any time Clare had a bit of a surge. Waterford demolished Offaly before almost throwing away what looked set to be a certain victory over Kilkenny. A victory over Kilkenny will be a nice monkey off their backs, and they were in complete control against Wexford in the quarter final.

I'd hope to see the new championship structure proposals passed because since that semi final meeting, where Cork won, they've played one game to Waterford's three. A lot of the Cork panel were there in 2014 when they had a similar Munster campaign only to fall flat in the semi final so I believe they will have learned from that, I'd be very surprised to see an undercooked Cork today.

Waterford too may have learned a few things from the last two seasons, their third semi final appearance in a row - they won't be phased by big days in Croke Park, McGrath has publicly downplayed his teams chances, very much painting themselves into the underdog role but behind closed doors they'll be raring to go. This one is nicely primed, the worst thing that can happen in a semi final is one team comes in undercooked or one team freezes, I'd be very surprised if such woes beset either team today.

Predicted result based on ratings gap; draw

The dreaded cowards prediction! I think the minimal points gap is a fair reflection of how closely matched these two are. You'd imagine De Burca will be one deciding factor, though even with him in the team Cork did still find enough space in the Waterford half of the pitch in the semi final. Cork have played with a degree of freedom this year, that's not to say they've been let do so, they've very much imposed their style of play on the three teams they've met. Can Waterford take their second chance? This one is delightfully tough to call. Gun to my head; Cork by between 1 and 3 points.

PREVIOUS CHAMPIONSHIP MEETINGS
    2017: Cork 0-23; Waterford 1-15. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2015: Waterford 3-19; Cork 1-21. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2014: Cork 0-28; Waterford 0-14. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2014: Cork 1-21; Waterford 1-21. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2012: Cork 1-19; Waterford 0-19. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2010: Waterford 1-16; Cork 1-13. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2010: Waterford 2-15; Cork 2-15. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)
    2007: Waterford 2-17; Cork 0-20. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2007: Waterford 3-16; Cork 3-16. (Croke Park, Dublin)
    2007: Waterford 5-15; Cork 3-18. (Semple Stadium, Thurles)

This will be their 66th meeting in a rivalry dominated by Cork overall who have 46 wins to Waterford's 13, (6 draws) but things even out nicely when you look at the 21st century only, in their last 16 ties Cork have won 7 time, Waterford 6 and 3 draws.

1st |(1)|=|Galway|9004
    2nd |(2)|=|Waterford|8897
    3rd |(3)|=|Tipperary|8694
    4th |(4)|=|Cork|8487
    5th |(5)|=|Kilkenny|8360
    6th |(6)|=|Clare|8338
    7th |(7)|=|Wexford|8142
    8th |(8)|=|Dublin|8044
    9th |(9)|=|Limerick|7931
    10th |(10)|=|Offaly|7195

Before the weekend there was nothing (just 16 points) separating Waterford, Tipp and Cork - yesterdays result has made set the three apart a bit more.

Yesterday was the 6th time the Munster champion went on to lose their next game to a fellow Munster county who came via the backdoor! It was the 10th time a Munster champion has been pitted against another Munster team in their next game.

Only two places to be decided now, All-Ireland champion finishes 1st, runner up 2nd.

I was going to ask the mods to lock this so I could disappear away quietly but instead I'll throw it out there; is anyone willing to take this over?

All that's involved in an Excel spreadsheet, copy and paste the two team's and their ratings and the respective new ranking points are calculated based on the points difference in the match result. It's all fairly simple, a small bit time consuming, I just don't have the time (and to be honest, the desire) to commit to this enough to keep the thread interesting to for example the brilliant standard set by laoisman11 on the football rankings thread.

I'll happily send the Excel sheet on to anyone willing to take this on, let me know if interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I was going to ask the mods to lock this so I could disappear away quietly but instead I'll throw it out there; is anyone willing to take this over?

All that's involved in an Excel spreadsheet, copy and paste the two team's and their ratings and the respective new ranking points are calculated based on the points difference in the match result. It's all fairly simple, a small bit time consuming, I just don't have the time (and to be honest, the desire) to commit to this enough to keep the thread interesting to for example the brilliant standard set by laoisman11 on the football rankings thread.

I'll happily send the Excel sheet on to anyone willing to take this on, let me know if interested :)

I was just about to launch into it here and say yes please.

But that's my procrastination monkey giving me reasons to distract myself in final year.

Though I would like to have a look-see given we have until January to actually do anything with it if that's okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I was just about to launch into it here and say yes please.

But that's my procrastination monkey giving me reasons to distract myself in final year.

Though I would like to have a look-see given we have until January to actually do anything with it if that's okay?

Well, Bonnie?

feargale wrote: »
    Well, Bonnie?

I never got sent the excel sheet. And it seems HurlingRanker has gone to the great Board in the sky.

I'll gladly do it if I can get my hands on the data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HombieZanalei

I never got sent the excel sheet. And it seems HurlingRanker has gone to the great Board in the sky.

I'll gladly do it if I can get my hands on the data.

Sorry folks, he did indeed put his hand up to carry it on and someone brought this post to my attention, I know this sounds very convenient but not long after he posted the laptop I had been doing this on died and I lost the Excel sheet. Luckily a few weeks back I found a 2015 back up, so between that and the 2016/2017 rankings posted on this thread I pretty much have it stitched back together.

It will be in BonnieSituation's capable hands soon :)

• Advertisement

Sorry folks, he did indeed put his hand up to carry it on and someone brought this post to my attention, I know this sounds very convenient but not long after he posted the laptop I had been doing this on died and I lost the Excel sheet. Luckily a few weeks back I found a 2015 back up, so between that and the 2016/2017 rankings posted on this thread I pretty much have it stitched back together.

It will be in BonnieSituation's capable hands soon :)

Cheers dude.

I'll mail ya later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Excellent news!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 revsperminute

BonnieSituation: Just so you don't have to go looking for the hurling ranking thread.

Plus don't forget there's hurling played outside the top 10 as well. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Looking forward to final later. Should be good game based on last meeting. Full house and good chance to test one another before championship given that they are unlikely to meet until much later in the year, barring some weirdness in the provincials!

Depressing to see the huge drop in Dublin's ranking points. Was reading Suthcliffe's interview about "creating a culture." We shall see .....

Cuala coming back will not solve all the problems, or maybe any of them, as seems to be Danny and other's great hope. Cuala's Dublin players were outstanding in most of club, but matched with inter county standard players in final, not so much. Same applies to Piarsiagh lads vis a vis Limerick. 5/6 of either Cuala or Piarsiagh are not just going to automatically walk back onto county and make a huge difference, and Limerick are a good bit further down the road than ourselves. Survival in championship will be goal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement