Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

They do the odd random spot check, asking you to send them a copy of your passport to activate the sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

blubloblu wrote: »
    They do the odd random spot check, asking you to send them a copy of your passport to activate the sim card.

How'd you know that? I doubt they can do that either. And anyway, even if they did ask you a passport copy, say no, cancel, and start again.

I seriously doubt that any real age restriction exists. It's an elaborate marketing ploy. Money is money at the end of the day, no matter the age of the person spending it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Schorpio wrote: »
    How'd you know that? I doubt they can do that either. And anyway, even if they did ask you a passport copy, say no, cancel, and start again.

I seriously doubt that any real age restriction exists. It's an elaborate marketing ploy. Money is money at the end of the day, no matter the age of the person spending it!

I've definitely seen (very few) people receive letters in the post asking for a scan. They might keep your name/address on file. You could always doctor a photocopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Very true Schorpio, thats also the reason O2 weren’t bothering competing with other operators. They're letting 48Months and Tesco Mobile (O2 joint venture) offer cheaper rates on their network instead. It's similar to GiffGaff in UK, runs on the O2 UK network but sells cheaper calls, texts and data bundles using SIM only. That looks like a great little outfit, pity 48 Months isn't more like it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

This post has been deleted.
    It was last week. It was my brother that did it. I'll check when my membership is up in 2 weeks. It does sound too good to be true though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

even though i have 15 euro, it wont let me top up of 10 on the basic top

only the internet,20 and then i dont have enough credit up any help

it seems they want you to use your credit card now for top ups

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

my voucher in mobile and when i tried to transfer to it to 10 euro basic calls it wouldnt let me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to text "monthly" to 1745.

You need to text "monthly" to 1745.

why do u have to do that now ??

i never did that before ?

Also if im in Spain will this Mobile Work on this Network ??

• Advertisement

doubt i can send them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

faolteam wrote: »
    doubt i can send them

You can buy roaming add ons for calls and texts. Look at the website, that has the answer to all these questions.

www.48months.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Just wondering if a 48 SIM will work in a Tesco branded phone? Or would it need to be unlocked? I'm under the impression that Tesco / 48 are the same network-ish?

Nope. Phone needs to be unlocked.

Tesco/48/o2/Lycra sims are all different even though they use the o2 network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Just noticing the VIP deal they do now... What's the general feedback on this? Is the internet speed up to scratch? 20e a month all in seems too good to be true!

Tempted to give it a try though, do they take long to port over your number?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you breach the usage limit they are quick to cut you off...permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Lads signed upto the VIP but I cant get the internet working... any idea how I can fix this? I have a vodafone smart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I'm considering signing up. I'm not an expert at all on mobile contracts(I'm a PAYG User) so forgive me for any dumbass questions...

Can I use the 48 sim card on a Meteor mobile phone I have lying around(samsung toco) or do I have to unlock it first.

Is this correct?
    When registering for the first time I will receive a free sim.
    I then register the sim and am assigned a new mobile number for it. I DO NOT want to port my current meteor number over.
    I then top up online by €10 and I can start using the service.

Can I use the 48 sim card on a Meteor mobile phone I have lying around(samsung toco) or do I have to unlock it first.
    You have to unlock it first. 48 do not do their own phones.
    Is this correct?
    When registering for the first time I will receive a free sim.
    I then register the sim and am assigned a new mobile number for it. I DO NOT want to port my current meteor number over.
    I then top up online by €10 and I can start using the service.
    Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Cheers for the answers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭TM

I know that some people have mentioned it before and it was covered earlier in this thread but does everybody on 48 see the "R" for roaming on the signal bars? Is this normal? I get this on mine and don't see 48 in the network list when I scan for mobile operators. Now I realise that they are a virtual operator using the O2 network but when I asked about this on the 48 forum they said (a) this was just a display issue and could be ignored or (b) I could get a new SIM and this would fix the problem (which I took to mean would get rid of the "R" and also list 48 as a network so I would be 100% sure that I was on the appropriate network and not at risk of being hit with additional charges). I tried (b) but the new SIM is the same. If (a) is correct then how do I know that I am on the "correct" network? And should that be O2?

Hope that's clear. I have a feeling that I'm making a dog's dinner of asking a simple question! :o

Thanks CM. Not sure why 48 gave the impression that a new SIM would address these issues ("R" on signal bar and no "48" in network list)... I was holding off on porting my existing number over until I got further clarification.

Does it matter which network I select? Presumably I should (must?) choose O2?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Yes. O2 is the network it must use.

OK-thanks.

I'm on a Vodafone Smart 858/Huawei U8160 running CyanogenMod 7.2. I can't see how to set O2 as the network to use "normally". Do I need to do this explicitly or just select it once and it will try to use that from then on?

You should be able to tell it to select the network automatically.

Anyone have the VIP membership and go over the download cap? What happened? I've been using it loads and worrying about going over it

If you go over the cap they cut you off for good.

• Advertisement

If you go over the cap they cut you off for good.
    What for good? Not just until the next time you renew your membership?

Hardly seems fair

Advertisement