Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

Browney you have no chance of beating Offaly this weekend. Offaly have a few decent young hurlers and will take full advantage of the Limerick crisis and ensure their vital top flight status. I feel sorry for Limerick hurling people and simply can not fathom what the clubs in Limerick are thinking. Very strange decision by the clubs and ultimately could be very damaging in the long term to the GAA in Limerick.
    Offaly will win this one I agree. Shane Dooley is in great form and will terrorise the inexperienced Limerick defence. Offaly by 5-7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The Limerick team, via a different forum:

Limerick team V Offaly:

Murray

Reale
    Geary
    Moloney

Foley
    Hickey
    O'Dwyer

O'Mahoney
    Dodge

Moran
    M O'Brien
    P Browne

Donie
    McNamara
    Mulcahy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Two articles from the Examiner on the row.

As a neutral, I find it utterly bizzare that the clubs backed McCarthy at the vote on Tuesday.

The notion of standing up to player power is something I also find just ridiculous, given that players should always be the most important people in the equation.
    O’Brien rages at backing for McCarthy
    By Diarmuid O'Flynn

Friday, March 26, 2010

MIKE O’BRIEN doesn’t normally do interviews, notoriously gun-shy when it comes to facing any kind of microphone, so when you get a call from him saying he wants to talk, you know that this is an upset individual.

"I’m bulling," said the Glenroe farmer. It’s not a raging anger but it’s deep, has been building for some time, and now it needs ventilating.

It was an interview given shortly after that cull in which McCarthy made several statements suggesting that ill-discipline and a lack of commitment was behind his decision. It’s all that has happened since then, culminating in the vote at a special county board meeting last Tuesday night in which an overwhelming majority of delegates – including the delegate from O’Brien’s own club, Glenroe – voted their support for the manager.

"Since 1998, when I was called on to the panel by Eamonn Cregan, I’ve travelled into Limerick three or four times a week, 30 miles there, 30 miles back, and to be honest, that’s all I ever wanted to do. Once I got on to that panel, nothing else mattered – farming, my social life, all came behind hurling.

"Glenroe is a small place on the edge of south Limerick, only about 300 people, and I’m the first ever from this club to play senior hurling championship with Limerick; that’s a huge honour for me, and I’ve always felt that, I take great pride in that.

"Often the milking-machine might be going late into the night, to accommodate a match in the afternoon or early evening – that was never a problem, that’s what I wanted to do.

"But, when your time is up, your time is up. I’m 32 years of age and if Justin McCarthy felt I was no longer of any use to him, if he had picked up the phone and told me ‘You’re not in my plans for 2010’, I would have had no problem with that, none whatsoever. It was only a matter of common courtesy; any time I wasn’t able to make training – and that wasn’t very often, I can tell you – I’d pick up the phone and contact Justin.

"To pick up your local paper then and read that you were dropped because of disciplinary problems – I never wanted any kind of praise for anything I did, I did it because I wanted to do it, but I don’t want to read that kind of stuff in the paper either, people who don’t know me getting that impression.

"That I found really hard to take, and still do. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I travel 30 miles into training, 30 miles home again afterwards, often got home at nearly midnight. Many an evening I had to leave my father here to finish the cows for me, a man in his late 70s, so I could rush in to training.

"I prepared for every championship game like it was my last, and even in the league I had the same attitude. There was never any messing, I always prepared to the letter of the law – no-one can tell me that my preparation was ever less than 100%."

WHAT about everyone else though – did the same apply to them? "I’ve heard the rumours, and it’s bull*. We never lost a championship match because of drinking, we lost because we weren’t good enough on the day.

"I wouldn’t have tolerated it anyway; I’m travelling in and out from Glenroe, an hour in, an hour out; I don’t drink, I look after myself – wouldn’t I be some fool if I tolerated fellas around me acting the goat? I’d have to look at my own commitment if that was going on, but it wasn’t.

"In fact, during the year, and on many occasions, Justin McCarthy told us we were one of the best teams to train that he ever trained, that we were a pleasure to train – then he comes out and says this. It doesn’t add up. There was no more drinking going on in Limerick than any other county, probably less than a lot of them.

"As far as I’m concerned, there’s far too much focus on the players in all of this, and not enough on the manager, nor the county board. Ask yourself this – how many Limerick players went well last year? If three or four students fail their exams from a class of 30, you might blame the students, but if all 30 fail, who do you blame?

"And yet, after losing to Tipperary in the All-Ireland semi-final by 24 points, Justin was never called in by the board and asked to explain what had gone wrong. Instead, he cuts 12 guys from the panel, without a phone call, with an inference that it was because of a lack of discipline, and again he’s not asked for an explanation.

"Among the players he cuts are some of the best players in the county, with no readymade replacements lined up – how can that be right? Where’s the sense in that? Liam Lenihan is chairman of the county board, the man in charge, the top dog; how could he preside over all this? Why did he never bring in Justin after that defeat against Tipperary? Why wasn’t Justin told – ‘Look, Limerick is a proud hurling county but to be beaten in Croke Park in an All-Ireland semi-final by 24 points, to concede six goals, that’s not good enough.’

"But there was nothing made of it, the chairman of our county board never once challenged the manager to come up with answers – all the blame fell on the players."

Which brings us to Tuesday night’s board meeting, the vote for McCarthy: "Don’t talk to me," O’Brien replies. "When the first vote (of confidence) was taken (last December), Glenroe voted against Justin – there are two of us involved from the club, myself and Stephen Walsh, who was one of those who walked away after the way we were cut.

"Four hammerings later in the league, things gone from bad to worse, and the club voted for Justin – I’m still trying to get my head around that. I’m not bitter about it, this is still my club and a lot of very good people in it, but how could they do that to Stephen Walsh and myself? Didn’t they know that by voting for Justin on Tuesday they were saying they agreed with what he had done?

"Then again, I know a few of those who voted for Justin in the club and put it this way – they won’t be on The Sunday Game as hurling analysts any time soon. When your own club won’t support you, though, it’s hard to see why any other club should. I had some great times with the hurlers and the footballers, don’t regret a minute of it, but it’s a pity it ends like this."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, March 26, 2010

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/obrien-....l#ixzz0jI84zDU2

No going back for saddened players
    By Diarmuid O’Flynn

Friday, March 26, 2010

AT the conclusion of Tuesday night’s vote of the Limerick County Board which confirmed Justin McCarthy as manager of the senior hurling team for the remainder of this season at least, chairman Liam Lenihan made a heartfelt appeal that all would accept the decision, and that the players now at loggerheads with the management would return to the fold.

That invitation by the board, however, has so far been extended only towards those who walked away from the panel, the 12 who were cut last October still excluded.

1) Do you accept that it’s all over?

2) Will you consider returning to the panel now?

All 24 responded. There was just one ‘No comment’; most replies were short if not sweet, some shorter than others; many, however, were more revealing, told of the demons being suffered as players make a decision they never thought they’d have to face.

ON THE FENCE:

1) I’d prefer not to comment on my own position at this point.

SHORTEST ANSWERS:

2, 3 & 4) Yes and No (three players).

5) Probably yes; definitely no.

6) As it stands for this year, yes; no.

7) Must be the end, won’t be going back now.

8) ‘Tis the end, and I won't be back.

9) Yes; no, not a living chance in hell.

LESS SHORT ANSWERS:

10) It’s the end of Limerick hurling for me.

11) Yes this is the end, as far as I'm concerned, and as long as Justin is there I will not be back.

12) The clubs have spoken and it’s final; secondly, I'm not going to hurl under the current management team.

13) Yes, the show is over for this year, and no, am not returning – gutted.

14) End of year for Limerick hurling for 2010; will not be playing inter-county hurling this year.

15) Yes I think it’s finished for the year, and no I won't be available for selection under the current management.

LESS SHORT AGAIN:

16) Yes, it’s over; whether or not I go back is not up to me as I was dropped from the panel originally, but if was asked back I wouldn't go, it’s just not a professional enough setup for inter-county hurling.

17) Yes this is the end, but in my opinion it’s also the end of Limerick hurling. A disaster – Division 2 hurling and people are content? Can't believe the outcome. Won't go back under any circumstances – a joke.

18) It’s the end for me anyway, I'm going to concentrate on my club hurling. I never had any problem with Justin.

19) Ya, this is the end for me anyway, I won't be going back. If I met anyone from the county board today I wouldn't be responsible for myself.

MORE ELABORATE:

20) It’s the end of it for now, yes, the year is a write-off at this stage and the decision has to be respected. I can't go back as I was dropped in the first place, so the decision isn't mine. I doubt I’ll get a phonecall but if I did, I’d have no hesitation in telling Justin to shove it.

21) At this stage I just want to let the thing off. Hurling for Limerick has been my life and is my heart; what’s gone on has been heart-breaking. I don't know where I, as a hurler, am going for the rest of my career, and more importantly, I don't know where we as a county are headed. Time to just can the publicity and let what’s going to happen develop.

22) Very disappointed but I don't see what else can be done. We have all given our lives to hurling since a young age and to see it turn out like this against us is very disappointing; will I play while Justin is still in charge? Not after the way he treated us. At the end of the day we were 24 Limerick men and we want only what’s best for Limerick hurling – nothing else.

23) I was one of the 12 originally cut from the panel in October, for whatever reason I still don't know, so don't think I would have much choice to go back or not; if asked, I wouldn't go anyway. The whole thing is a farce and a disgrace and I don't think it’s the end of it yet. A sad day for Limerick hurling.

24) It is the end, and no way would I ever play under him again. Anyway the 12 who were dropped don't have a choice, but already they are back pressurising the lads that walked. [Tuesday] night was simple – ‘We’ll show them players, sure they got hammered by Tipperary! We beat player power!’. Absolute f***ing joke. We don't deserve success in this county – a political battle was won, hurling is F***ED.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, March 26, 2010

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/no-goin....l#ixzz0jI9kv7r7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Orizio wrote: »
    The Limerick team, via a different forum:

Limerick team V Offaly:

Murray

Reale
    Geary
    Moloney

Foley
    Hickey
    O'Dwyer

O'Mahoney
    Dodge

Moran
    M O'Brien
    P Browne

Donie
    McNamara
    Mulcahy

Um, why would you post something which is so obviously not true?!

The real Limerick team for the Offaly match.

1 Tadgh Flynn Ahane
    2 David Lynch Na Piarsaigh
    3 Des Kenny Ballybrown
    4 Shane O Neill South Liberties
    5 Lorcan O Dwyer Pallasgreen
    6 Andrew Brennan Caherline
    7 Nicky Quaid Effin
    8 Brian O Sullivan Kilmallock
    9 Paul Browne Bruff
    10 Paudie Mc Namara Murroe Boher
    11 Dean Madden Bruff
    12 James O Brien Bruree
    13 Graham Mulcahy Kilmallock
    14 Anthony Ownes South Liberties
    15 Ricard Mc Keogh Kildimo
    16 Barry Hennessy Kilmallock
    17 Stephen O Connell Adare
    18 Cian Hayes Kildimo
    19 Tomas O Brien Patrickswell
    20 Peter Russell Monaleen
    21 Sean Herlihy Monagea
    22 Alan o Connor Ballybrown
    23 Cathal Mullane Kileedy
    24 Kieran O Rourke Bruree

Anyone know who the captain is? I suppose Stephen O'Connell is the "official" captain as the only Adare man?

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    Um, why would you post something which is so obviously not true?!

Because I have a sense of humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Read the Examiner Article and it seem's as if its over for the players this year unfortunatle.I would like to see some come back into the fold as i feel Limerick Desperatly need them but i also think Justin was right to dump the Guys he dumped!To Think if only he picked up the Phone and said look your off this wouldn't havent occurred!(well thats what the players say).I have been Critical of the players and rightly so after the Tipp Shamble!But i think its time some of them came back as witout them we are doomed...i hoped they would come back under justin the likes of hickey gav etc... but that seems highly unlikely! The only option now is for a great Hurling Man who i honestly believe was doing the best for Limerick to leave the county with his record intact as if he stayed on it would destroy Limerick Hurling and His own Brilliant Record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

hi special one, who would replace him, would there be interest in the job from many top class coaches, or would the 11 apostles tell the co board that unless their nominee got the job they would not return, where would the supporter who has been putting his hand in his pocket for the last 20 - 30 years be then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Division 2 next year. And the sickening thing is that offaly were there for the taking, right at the very end.

Not Quite Down Yet Would need to Beat The Dub's!Have Faith!

• Advertisement

Not Quite Down Yet Would need to Beat The Dub's!Have Faith!

also a win over kilkenny iirc. A win over dublin, i'd try to be optimistic for but kilkenny with the ballyhale contingent back....
    And our points deficit compared to that of any other team is just abit.. -49 (like that!)
    Although it was good to see the lads hanging in there for the full 70 against a preety much full strength offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

flutered wrote: »
    hi special one, who would replace him, would there be interest in the job from many top class coaches, or would the 11 apostles tell the co board that unless their nominee got the job they would not return, where would the supporter who has been putting his hand in his pocket for the last 20 - 30 years be then

While Limerick only have 2 games left and one is against my own county Dublin I would love to see these players get a win.

I have supported the Justin camp from day 1 and I hope he stays on. The players were dropped, for whatever reason and what IF some saviour arrived and dropped another 6 or 7 lads where would that leave Limerick? Another walk out? Its not as if the lads who were dropped had closets full of medals. It needed a new broom and its time to move on

The real Limerick supporters should be out supporting these lads and encouraging their friends to support them also. Who knows what the summer will bring. Possibly a win or two which I would'nt rule out as I have heard from a few lads some of the players who are currently playing are improving quite a bit.

Anyway good luck to Justin and his panel for the rest of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

also a win over kilkenny iirc. A win over dublin, i'd try to be optimistic for but kilkenny with the ballyhale contingent back....
    And our points deficit compared to that of any other team is just abit.. -49 (like that!)
    Although it was good to see the lads hanging in there for the full 70 against a preety much full strength offaly.

this taken from the Limerick Leader.So if Dublin have two points going into the last game and Limerick have 0 then it's winner take all for the Dublin /Limerick last game of who stays in div 1.

Limerick must win one of their final two games to avoid a drop to Division Two.
    Next Sunday four-in-a-row All-Ireland champions Kilkenny come to the Gaelic Grounds while on April 18, in Parnell Park, Limerick face Anthony Daly's Dublin.
    That clash in the capital could yet be a relegation decider.
    A new ruling means that unless Dublin can take something from their next match against Galway, they will face in a winner-takes-all encounter with Limerick on the last day of the league season as the primary determinant of who survives when points are level is the result between the two counties.

Oh, sound!:)
    if we defeat dublin and have a larger points deficit, they get shifted down to division 2? (taking into account the result that limerick and dublin both lose next weekend).
    I didn't hear about this new ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

We won't beat Dublin. They are a different kettle of fish to Offaly.

I was proud of the lads for the performance they put in at the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If the Dubs lose to Galway , a win or a draw V Limerick will see them stay up, if thy lose they are down to Div 2. This will put enormous pressure on the Dubs, while no real pressure on Limerick, I think a similar performance of character and belief - á la V Offaly - might make it a very interesting game.

Browney7 wrote: »
    We won't beat Dublin. They are a different kettle of fish to Offaly. .

No There not...they are the most overrated team in Ireland and will struggle this year to make the quarter finals. if they where any good they wouldn't be doing brutal in the league and would have taken that Quarter final last year vs Limerick.They like to think there good but there not...at least down here we realise where going no-where.

We won't beat Dublin. They are a different kettle of fish to Offaly.

I was proud of the lads for the performance they put in at the weekend.

Offaly comprehensively defeated Dublin a few weeks back. Dublin generally lack the confidence and arrogance that teams like Tipp, Cork, KK have.

Orizio wrote: »
    Offaly comprehensively defeated Dublin a few weeks back. Dublin generally lack the confidence and arrogance that teams like Tipp, Cork, KK have.

Orizio I'm copying your strategy of downplaying my teams chances. Don't tell anyone like a good man, keep it between me and you yeah??;)

Great win for the footballers down in Ennis today to keep the promotion hopes alive. Final score 14 points to 2-6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Great win for the footballers down in Ennis today to keep the promotion hopes alive. Final score 14 points to 2-6.
    0-14 to 2-7 i heard on 95fm? Either way, we had raced into an 8 point lead by mid-way point of the second half, playing very well against the wind in the first. Then, the lads did what they normally do, and fell asleep for 15 mins letting Clare put 1-4 on the scoreboard in ten mins. Why oh why do they always do this!! They just totally lose concentration in the second half of every game, they're as predictable as the weather. Do something about it Mickey Ned or it'll be another short summer in the qualifiers.

grenache wrote: »
    0-14 to 2-7 i heard on 95fm? Either way, we had raced into an 8 point lead by mid-way point of the second half, playing very well against the wind in the first. Then, the lads did what they normally do, and fell asleep for 15 mins letting Clare put 1-4 on the scoreboard in ten mins. Why oh why do they always do this!! They just totally lose concentration in the second half of every game, they're as predictable as the weather. Do something about it Mickey Ned or it'll be another short summer in the qualifiers.

Errortel must have been wrong when I checked it.

A win is a win is a win I suppose. I wouldn't be too worried yet Grenache. We have always been a championship team. If we can get to the Munster final we can have a right good crack off Kerry or Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

grenache wrote: »

Mickey Ned needs to get in a sports psychologist to help them with this lack of concentration in the last quarter of the game. It happens every match and is losing them matches they should be winning by miles.

A respectable enough performance against Kilkenny today and the hammering I was expecting didn't quite materialise. Couldn't make it to the game myself but a 16 point to 2 - 17 defeat isn't the end of the world I suppose. It might just give the lads a bit of a boost before going into the match versus Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

A respectable enough performance against Kilkenny today and the hammering I was expecting didn't quite materialise. Couldn't make it to the game myself but a 16 point to 2 - 17 defeat isn't the end of the world I suppose. It might just give the lads a bit of a boost before going into the match versus Dublin.
    It was actually the same margin of defeat that we suffered to Kilkenny in the 2007 All Ireland final. Do or die next week! pity it is on in Parnell park

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Is it next weekend or the weekend after for the Dublin match? I think we have a chance of taking them. Dublin will still be favourites but we're going up there with nothing to lose. All the pressure will be on Daly's Dubs. That was a great performance today, especially considering the presence of new guys on the team like O'Herlihy. It should give them a big confidence boost and a bit of self belief. Limerick have an excellent record against Dublin and this bunch of hurlers have shown their mettle in the last few weeks. I'll be heading up to give them my full support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

This is a massive game for ourselves and we owe Limerick big style for the two defeats last year but it will be tight and hopefully home advantage will pull us through as we've played well against Tipp, were unlucky against the Cats and hit the suicide button against Cork with all our wides.

Absolutely no doubt in my opinion that the Dubs will win.

At present they are suffering from the dreaded "second season syndrome", they have been unlucky in a lot of their games and the burden of increased expectation is weighing down on them.

But I am full certain that Anthony Daly will have them well up for this match. A winner takes all play-off on Dublin's turf, with a two week gap, plenty of times to pick themselves up and get the heads right coming into this match.

The Dubs have home advantage and better players. Its hard to look past that.

Something that really worries me for Limerick this year is that after every game we keep hearing how they gave everything they have, and never gave up. Despite the fact that Limerick have given 100% against teams giving 50% they still have shipped a fair few hidings. The only game that has shown any positive signs whatsoever is the Offaly game. Apart from that there have been a few good spells either once the game has been over as a contest or when the opposition has fielded mainly inexperienced players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are reasons for Limerick to be optimistic and Dublin to worry.

They have nothing to lose and Dublin have everything to lose. When I say Limerick have nothing to lose I mean that in the sense of what is happening at the moment in Limerick hurling and a lot of people expect them to lose. When this is the case they could well get a result. Dublin as has been said are hitting this second season syndrome and are expected to win. If things dont go well for Dublin early in the game and Limerick get a sniff of winning they could well cause an "upset".

As a Dublin man I hope Dublin win. I know what people have put in to developing hurling and bringing it out of the doldrums in the city and county and would just like to see them stay in Division 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

jordainius wrote: »
    Absolutely no doubt in my opinion that the Dubs will win.

At present they are suffering from the dreaded "second season syndrome", they have been unlucky in a lot of their games and the burden of increased expectation is weighing down on them.

But I am full certain that Anthony Daly will have them well up for this match. A winner takes all play-off on Dublin's turf, with a two week gap, plenty of times to pick themselves up and get the heads right coming into this match.

The Dubs have home advantage and better players. Its hard to look past that.

Something that really worries me for Limerick this year is that after every game we keep hearing how they gave everything they have, and never gave up. Despite the fact that Limerick have given 100% against teams giving 50% they still have shipped a fair few hidings. The only game that has shown any positive signs whatsoever is the Offaly game. Apart from that there have been a few good spells either once the game has been over as a contest or when the opposition has fielded mainly inexperienced players.
    Thats the truth. Its false to think running Kilkenny to 6 or 7 points has any great meaning. Theres been too much talk of moral victories and plucky performances by young lads. The table will read Played 7 Lost 7.

Limerick have absolutely no reason to be optomistic about their chances against Dublin. None! Dublin will up their game, because they have to for this one. There can be only one winner, and it won't be the plucky young fellas thrown it at the deep end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement