Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tiernanmul_gos

harty match tomorrow cant wait :) will be a game not to be missed after the last one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

harty match tomorrow cant wait :) will be a game not to be missed after the last one

F**kin' school :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

solway wrote: »
    What ****e are you talking. What gives you the impression that Lucey has a big head. Do you have facts to back up what your saying, id love to hear a few.You should look closer to home to the likes of BIG HEAD "MARK FOLEY" Its about time he got the road.
    Well, with respect, Mark Foley is retired from inter-county hurling, so he's already on the road! ;) Everyone i've talked to has told me that Lucey is one of the main instigators of the current strike. Even Croom people have told me this, so i doubt they're all wrong!

A pretty satisfactory victory for the u-21 footballers in west Clare last evening :)

from www.irishexaminer.com

Limerick 1-10 Clare 0-10

By Fintan O’Toole

Thursday, March 11, 2010

FOR the majority of last night’s Cadbury’s Munster U21FC quarter-final in Cooraclare, Limerick full-forward Cormac Joyce-Power’s role entailed aiding his colleagues out the field. But, when stationed close to goal late on, his impact was decisive in settling this game. As his side trailed 0-8 to 0-9 in the final stages, the Limerick senior player made his telling contribution. In the 52nd minute he touched down a pass from Bobby O’Brien into the path of Seamus O’Carroll, collected the return and neatly tucked a shot into the bottom corner of the net. Suddenly Limerick were in the ascendancy for the first time since the fourth minute and Clare, who had hitherto controlled proceedings, were in the uncomfortable position of being on the backfoot.

O’Carroll tacked on another point for Limerick, and although Clare full-forward Gary Leahy maintained the high standards of accuracy that had characterised his freetaking all night, with a point in the 58th minute, it was Joyce-Power who had the final say. He seized possession in open space around the middle in the 52nd minute before striding forward to hit a marvellous long-range effort between the posts to seal Limerick’s advance to a last four meeting with Tipperary next Thursday night in Semple Stadium. That strong late finish capped a wonderful recovery from Limerick as for much of the night they looked listless against a forceful and energetic Clare side. A frozen Gaelic Grounds pitch meant Limerick had to cough up home advantage as the tie was switched to the West Clare venue early yesterday and Clare looked adapted better to familiar surroundings in the first-half.

Limerick struck two early blows with points from Eoghan O’Connor and Tony McMahon inside the first four minutes, but thereafter in the opening half Clare’s rearguard was a watertight unit. Clare had levelled the match by the 7th minute thanks to a pair of fine frees by Gary Leahy and they were also thankful to goalkeeper Peter O’Dwyer who made a smart block to deny O’Carroll a 9th minute goal. The lively nature of the opening stages bore portents for an engaging encounter, yet the play became bogged down around the middle for the remainder of the first-half. Shooting was wayward on both sides with Limerick having reason to bemoan the fact that the foothold O’Brien and Joyce-Power gave them around the middle never materialised into a stream of scores.

Instead Clare grew into the game with Sean Collins, who has been starring at variety of levels in hurling of late, starting to acquit himself brilliantly with the big ball and his Cratloe clubmate Liam Markham also shining. Up front Clare had a pair of forwards with an eye for a score in Leahy and Padraig McMahon, and they each notched a brace apiece between the 22nd and 31st minutes to leave Clare 0-6 to 0-2 ahead at the break.

Clare got an early fillip in the second-half when Shane Brennan curled a beautiful shot between the posts, but Limerick mounted a strong response as they eradicated the sloppy handling of their first-half play. O’Connor emerged as a prolific scoretaker up front and the promptings of centre-back Eoin Joy also underpinned their revival. O’Connor (2) and O’Carroll whittled down Clare’s advantage to 0-7 to 0-5 by the 39th minute. Yet Clare seemed to have weather that storm when Brennan and substitute Michéal Malone chipped in with a point apiece to provide them with a four point cushion, 0-9 to 0-5, entering the final quarter. Their vocal home support sensed Clare were on the cusp of a satisfying success, which was all the more admirable considering the absence of Kilmurry-Ibrickane stars Darren Hickey and Mark McCarthy.

At that juncture it was extremely difficult to see Limerick turning things around but they managed to do that in remarkable fashion. O’Connor was on target from open play and placed ball, and when Joy charged through in the 51st minute to blast over, they were only a point adrift. Limerick never let that steam of momentum drop and Joyce-Power bossed the match in a significant fashion late on to propel the Treaty side forward.

Scorers for Limerick: E O’Connor 0-5 (0-3f), C Joyce-Power 1-1, S O’Carroll 0-2, T McMahon, E Joy 0-1 each.

Clare: G Leahy 0-5 (0-3f), S Brennan, P McMahon (0-1f) 0-2 each, M Malone 0-1.

LIMERICK: B Scanlon; D Quaid, M McCormack, E Fitzgibbon; J Riordan, E Joy, B Treacy; B O’Brien, T McMahon; D Ward, J Kelly, P Sheehan; E O’Connor, C Joyce-Power, S O’Carroll.

Subs: E McEniry for Sheehan (39), J Martin for Ward (62).

CLARE: P O’Dwyer; M Moloney, D Ryan, S Cormican; M O’Loughlin, L Markham, S Tierney; C Ryan, M Hallinan; S Collins, S Brennan, P McMahon; E Lyons, G Leahy, C Cormican.

Subs: S Crotty for Lyons (43), M Malone for C Cormican (43), I White for Hallinan (50), C Dickson for Tierney (58).

Referee: P O’Sullivan (Kerry)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

grenache wrote: »
    Well, with respect, Mark Foley is retired from inter-county hurling, so he's already on the road! ;) Everyone i've talked to has told me that Lucey is one of the main instigators of the current strike. Even Croom people have told me this, so i doubt they're all wrong!
    Everyone knows that foley was dropped, oh no sorry he likes to say he retired. He got the boot and it was long over due;). You still havnt explained what you mean about Luceys big head.

• Advertisement

Everyone knows that foley was dropped, oh no sorry he likes to say he retired. He got the boot and it was long over due;). You still havnt explained what you mean about Luceys big head.
    He's a disruptive influence in the dressing room, he has been primarily behind the other 12 players pulling out of the squad, and has been ringing up some of the younger members of the current panel, putting pressure on them to withdraw from the squad. I've heard this from one of the players myself. Its shameful. He has two options, 1. either return to the panel or 2. F*ck off and leave the current panel members get on with playing for their county and stop interfering.

He's a disruptive influence in the dressing room, he has been primarily behind the other 12 players pulling out of the squad, and has been ringing up some of the younger members of the current panel, putting pressure on them to withdraw from the squad. I've heard this from one of the players myself. Its shameful. He has two options, 1. either return to the panel or 2. F*ck off and leave the current panel members get on with playing for their county and stop interfering.
    Why have you been in the dressing room at some point. If i remember correctly it was Damian Reale who got the ball rolling with the strike and maybe Lucey did ring some of the other players to get their view on what was happening but he held no gun to anyones head. If people like you think that a phone call from Lucey to other members of the panel influenced their withdrawl from playing with Limerick then the future of hurling in this county is f*ucked. If people cant make their own mind up about a little thing like this where would they stand in Semple Stadium in front of 40,000 people in a munster final. Why didnt the people that were "PUT UNDER PRESSURE" tell lucey to f*uck off and mind his own business. I thought hurlers were men not little lambs. The person who told you that he was getting pressurised phone calls from lucey and as a result is the reason why he is not on the limerick panel is better off where he is AT HOME BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE FOR HIS MISFORTUNE. People would want to start standing up for themselves and stop looking for someone to blame. THATS THE EASY OPTION AND LIMERICK TEAMS ARE TAKING THE EASY OPTION FOR YEARS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I assume Lucey's account would be somewhat different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone at the Waterford game this evening?

After that woeful display I think its time Mickey Ned and Donie Buckley got the sack,something they should have got at the end of last years' championship.

I know we were missing some key players but that doesnt excuse the poor fitness level and hapless tactical errors shown by the team this evening.
    Half back line and midfield were very poor with the forwards being non existent. We cannot just rely on Ian Ryan.Paudy Browne should be played at centre half back to stop people going through,he's not a forward. John Mullane is in the half forwards yet he never ever scores. Limerick need to get a proper target man in the full forward line who will lay the ball on to Ger Collins and Ian Ryan.
    They lost so many balls this evening passing the ball backwards to the full back line instead of kicking it long into the forwards so they can score.

We have at least 10 great county players but we're getting nowhere and for me it's poor training and managment to blame. It's shocking that a team of such great calibre can play so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

panda100 wrote: »

After that woeful display I think its time Mickey Ned and Donie Buckley got the sack,something they should have got at the end of last years' championship.

I know we were missing some key players but that doesnt excuse the poor fitness level and hapless tactical errors shown by the team this evening.
    Half back line and midfield were very poor with the forwards being non existent. We cannot just rely on Ian Ryan.Paudy Browne should be played at centre half back to stop people going through,he's not a forward. John Mullane is in the half forwards yet he never ever scores. Limerick need to get a proper target man in the full forward line who will lay the ball on to Ger Collins and Ian Ryan.
    They lost so many balls this evening passing the ball backwards to the full back line instead of kicking it long into the forwards so they can score.

We have at least 10 great county players but we're getting nowhere and for me it's poor training and managment to blame. It's shocking that a team of such great calibre can play so bad.

I understand some of your concerns but dont demand the sack for the league.Limerick have been pretty woeful in it for years but have always played well in the championship.This is the year we have a home final if we win in the semi!failure to win Munster and ill support your motion to sack mickey but until then remain united!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Chillax! After every game we play in the league I have a quick peak on the opposition's message boards. They all seem to be in total
    crises every week after we get a result off them.

Waterford , unbeatean, are topping the division working with pathetically limited resources. We should have won all our games but conceded two late equalisers in games we had won. These sorts of scenarios cost us promotions in the last two seasons, but our setup is slowly improving under a new manager.

Limerick's promotion is still very much in their own hands. O'Sullivan
    is doing a decent job. Your underage and club teams are normally at a similar standard to Waterford's so it isn't as if he has buckets of talent which he isn't making use of.

Best wishes in resolving the hurling crises.

panda100 wrote: »

Couldn't attend this one but we were quite bad from what i heard. This defeat has been coming for a while though and i can only hope it is the kick up the backside we need. We were missing some key players though, Stephen Lavin in particular is a big loss and it was only Seanie Buckley's first game back after a good spell out injured. Our shooting has always been wayward and Mickey Ned doesn't seem too bothered with the league in general, so i wouldn't pay much heed to this result.

Orizio wrote: »
    I assume Lucey's account would be somewhat different.
    Your spot on orizio. Its people like grenache who add fuel to the fire. Grenache clearly hasnt a clue what he/she is talking about and still has to have a say.

Your spot on orizio. Its people like grenache who add fuel to the fire. Grenache clearly hasnt a clue what he/she is talking about and still has to have a say.
    Yes, this is a forum, for people to have their say. :) I've clearly ruffled your feathers, will you be bringing the other two members of the Stephen Lucey fan club on to this thread in the coming days? :D;)

Yes, this is a forum, for people to have their say. :) I've clearly ruffled your feathers, will you be bringing the other two members of the Stephen Lucey fan club on to this thread in the coming days? :D;)
    Seriously what age are you? By your replies id say your about 13 or 14, or else your someone who just likes talking through their arse alot.
    You still have not explained what you mean about Luceys big head.
    Whats with the childish smilies????

Seriously what age are you? By your replies id say your about 13 or 14, or else your someone who just likes talking through their arse alot.
    You still have not explained what you mean about Luceys big head.
    Whats with the childish smilies????
    God bless you, you're very new to this forum aren't you. 40 odd posts and half of them licking Stephen Lucey's arse. The smilies aid with the sentiment of a post, they add humour, something you don't seem to be familiar with. If they were childish the option of using them wouldn't be there. Stephen Lucey likes to think he's the leader of the pack, talks and shouts a lot, and if Stephen doesn't get his way then he throws his toys out of the pram. Anyone who knows anything about Limerick hurling knows that he's the main trouble instigator in the camp, the guy who upsets things. Who do you think McCarthy was referring to when he talked about a couple of ''trouble makers'' in the squad? - Donie Ryan? Paul Browne?? maybe it was the kitman?!! :rolleyes:

God bless you, you're very new to this forum aren't you. 40 odd posts and half of them licking Stephen Lucey's arse. The smilies aid with the sentiment of a post, they add humour, something you don't seem to be familiar with. If they were childish the option of using them wouldn't be there. Stephen Lucey likes to think he's the leader of the pack, talks and shouts a lot, and if Stephen doesn't get his way then he throws his toys out of the pram. Anyone who knows anything about Limerick hurling knows that he's the main trouble instigator in the camp, the guy who upsets things. Who do you think McCarthy was referring to when he talked about a couple of ''trouble makers'' in the squad? - Donie Ryan? Paul Browne?? maybe it was the kitman?!! :rolleyes:
    Jayzuz, you seem to have a big problem with Lucey, im starting to think he has done something to you or a mate in the past. Go to a shrink and let it all out for the love of God. Do you think that talking **** about people is humour and have you ever been in a dressing room with Lucey. Id doubt it, id say your just another hurler on the ditch who thinks they know it all from "hear say".
    So what about the 40 posts....! Half of them licking Luceys arse :confused: Ive only replied 3-4 times to you. Your really scraping the arse of the barrell now for come backs:D. So who are the trouble makers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Teddy Chips

Well I'll be. Here you are engaging in second hand rumors yet you were quite happy to try and tear me apart in my Brian Cody thread for doing the same. The irony is delicious as they say.

Jayzuz, you seem to have a big problem with Lucey, im starting to think he has done something to you or a mate in the past. Go to a shrink and let it all out for the love of God. Do you think that talking **** about people is humour and have you ever been in a dressing room with Lucey. Id doubt it, id say your just another hurler on the ditch who thinks they know it all from "hear say".
    So what about the 40 posts....! Half of them licking Luceys arse :confused: Ive only replied 3-4 times to you. Your really scraping the arse of the barrell now for come backs:D. So who are the trouble makers??
    Stephen Lucey!! I've heard it from 2 players and plenty other folk who are close enough to the squad, and in case you hadn't noticed, Lucey was one of the 12 dropped from the panel. If you wish to defend him, fair enough, but there's no smoke without fire.
    Well I'll be. Here you are engaging in second hand rumors yet you were quite happy to try and tear me apart in my Brian Cody thread for doing the same. The irony is delicious as they say.
    Christ its this WUM again, yours was not a rumour, it was a stupid pointless thread. You started a thread entitled ''Should Brian Cody be sacked?'' :rolleyes: I'm not going to attempt to engage in meaningful discussion with such wind up merchants as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Really hope this ends soon. Its sad to see this type of stuff in any county. Maybe I have my head in the sand but what right have players got to dictate who is is coach/manager? I know we have been over this so often in other threads but if players dont like it let them ride off into the sunset.

Justin obviously saw he needed a clearout and waited until 2009 was done and dusted. The county board should stand by him and give him a 5 year contract with responsibility or an imput to minor U/21 and Junior. There will be such bad feeling it will take time to get over this.

• Advertisement

Stephen Lucey!! I've heard it from 2 players and plenty other folk who are close enough to the squad, and in case you hadn't noticed, Lucey was one of the 12 dropped from the panel. If you wish to defend him, fair enough, but there's no smoke without fire.
    You do talk some ****e. There is an old saying that says "you cant educate fools" and this is exactly how id describe you. You just dont get or see what bull your talking. Ive better things to do with my time than to be entertaining you. I asked you have you ever been in a dressing room with lucey twice and you have failed to answer me on both occasions. I keep telling you that all your replies are second and third hand information and you keep coming back with more "hear say". You have no solid information to back up what your saying and you still have to have your say. Justin McCarthy has the right to drop whoever he wants, ive no problem with that, i never did.My problem is that mindless idiots like you go around talking waffle about situations you clearly know nothing about. You said justin named a couple of "trouble "makers" and you still have only come back with one name, so go down to the pub and try and find out who the other so called trouble makers are. Thats the place where you probably found the rest of your horse****e. Lastly, good luck to Justin McCarthy and his panel of players. If thats the way McCarthy wants to do his job well so be it. Oh and by the way Micky Ned seems to have no problems with Lucey.......thats strange isnt it :rolleyes:

You do talk some ****e. There is an old saying that says "you cant educate fools" and this is exactly how id describe you. You just dont get or see what bull your talking. Ive better things to do with my time than to be entertaining you. I asked you have you ever been in a dressing room with lucey twice and you have failed to answer me on both occasions. I keep telling you that all your replies are second and third hand information and you keep coming back with more "hear say". You have no solid information to back up what your saying and you still have to have your say. Justin McCarthy has the right to drop whoever he wants, ive no problem with that, i never did.My problem is that mindless idiots like you go around talking waffle about situations you clearly know nothing about. You said justin named a couple of "trouble "makers" and you still have only come back with one name, so go down to the pub and try and find out who the other so called trouble makers are. Thats the place where you probably found the rest of your horse****e. Lastly, good luck to Justin McCarthy and his panel of players. If thats the way McCarthy wants to do his job well so be it. Oh and by the way Micky Ned seems to have no problems with Lucey.......thats strange isnt it :rolleyes:
    Why do YOU think Lucey was dropped from the squad so? You reckon everyone who tells me this information (including the players) is wrong?!! :D Its hardly hearsay when i've heard it from two members who sat with Lucey in many dressing rooms :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Christ its this WUM again, yours was not a rumour, it was a stupid pointless thread. You started a thread entitled ''Should Brian Cody be sacked?'' :rolleyes: I'm not going to attempt to engage in meaningful discussion with such wind up merchants as you.

Grenache give it over. I've already warned you before about resorting to pointless name-calling on the forum. Any more talk of trolls/WUMs and I'll have to ban you.

I know things aren't hunky dory in Limerick right now, but we've never had a single problem with any of the county superthreads before and I hope it stays that way :)

Daysha wrote: »
    I know things aren't hunky dory in Limerick right now, but we've never had a single problem with any of the county superthreads before and I hope it stays that way :)
    only right now? Things have never been hunky dory in Limerick hurling!

Why do YOU think Lucey was dropped from the squad so? You reckon everyone who tells me this information (including the players) is wrong?!! :D Its hardly hearsay when i've heard it from two members who sat with Lucey in many dressing rooms :rolleyes:
    I have heard many rumours aswell why the 12 players were dropped but i wouldnt believe any of them. Did it ever cross your mind that Justin might not want any dual players in his squad. Mark O Riordan got dropped aswell and what was the reason for that? Dual player also:rolleyes: Trouble maker....hardly. By the way, what club are those 2 players from that told you that Lucey was the instigator of trouble.Id say ive a fair idea in my own mind....:rolleyes: They wear red and black ;) Would you believe their stories.
    You still have to name the other 1 or 2 trouble makers in the squad...you keep avoiding that question plus the question regarding being in a dressing room with him. Come on Mr know it all.... or have you to wait until you meet those two players again to get more information?

I have heard many rumours aswell why the 12 players were dropped but i wouldnt believe any of them. Did it ever cross your mind that Justin might not want any dual players in his squad. Mark O Riordan got dropped aswell and what was the reason for that? Dual player also:rolleyes: Trouble maker....hardly. By the way, what club are those 2 players from that told you that Lucey was the instigator of trouble.Id say ive a fair idea in my own mind....:rolleyes: They wear red and black ;) Would you believe their stories.
    You still have to name the other 1 or 2 trouble makers in the squad...you keep avoiding that question plus the question regarding being in a dressing room with him. Come on Mr know it all.... or have you to wait until you meet those two players again to get more information?
    I've never been in a dressing room with Stephen Lucey, i have only ever met him on informal occasions. That doesn't mean what i have heard is mere hearsay. Lucey is the only name i have directly heard being mentioned. And the two players i've talked to are not from Adare. I'm not going to name their clubs but both are from South Limerick. I dont believe McCarthy dropped O'Riordan or Lucey because of their dual player status - Lorcan O'Dwyer plays both codes and he is still lining out for the hurlers. I am certainly not a 'know it all', you may choose not to believe he's too big for his boots, that is fair enough. I'll choose to believe otherwise.

I've never been in a dressing room with Stephen Lucey, i have only ever met him on informal occasions. That doesn't mean what i have heard is mere hearsay. Lucey is the only name i have directly heard being mentioned. And the two players i've talked to are not from Adare. I'm not going to name their clubs but both are from South Limerick. I dont believe McCarthy dropped O'Riordan or Lucey because of their dual player status - Lorcan O'Dwyer plays both codes and he is still lining out for the hurlers. I am certainly not a 'know it all', you may choose not to believe he's too big for his boots, that is fair enough. I'll choose to believe otherwise.
    Well you certainly "KNEW" that Lucey had a BIG HEAD a few days back didnt you. You stated this without even having a conversation with the man. Just dont go around cutting the ****e out of a persons personality when you dont even know them.
    As for Lorcan O Dwyer, justin is not in a position to be turning down any sort of a player at this stage and he certainly didnt expect to have a dual player on his squad. But his plan backfired and now has to take who he gets. Come on, would Lorcan O Dwyer be on the panel if there wasnt a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Solway I'm guessing you're a Croom man and yes Steven Lucey has I've been told been doing great things for the underage teams in Croom and the club in general and he has always worn the green and white with pride for both the hurlers and the footballers. However there are also stories circulating around the county that Lucey has been causing trouble and there are rumours that he was trying to influence team selection. Maybe they are just that, stories and rumours but people are entitled to chose what they believe.

You are clearly in one camp in Grenache is in the other. That's what's good about sport, everyone has an opinion and what's more, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As for Mark O'Riordan being dropped off the panel, I think if you asked any Limerick hurling fan leaving Croker last August would they be upset if razor never played for the hurlers again I think you would have gotten a resounding "No". He always served the team well but maybe it's time for someone else to get a chance.

Another Fantastic victory for Ard Scoil Rís today in Templemore against Kilkenny CBS, winners by 3-13 to 2-11. They showed real character in the second half to come from behind when Kilkenny had the momentum. Sounded like a very exciting end to end game, Liam Ahern on the radio was in convulsions by the end :D

Also it hasn't been mentioned but there was a bad defeat for u-21 footballers on Thursday night, well beaten by Tipp in Thurles, 0-16 to 2-5. It would appear Tipp have an array of young talented footballers coming up through the underage ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Ard Scoil match today was a fantastic display of hurling. These guys have given hours of brilliant play in recent weeks - it took 3.5hrs to separate them from CBS Thurles before they won the Harty Cup. Today they beat Kilkenny CBS and go through to All Ireland finals. Theres future hope for limerick hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement