Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Can you link me to the one you feel is the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

CarPro IronX and Bilt Hamber Korrosol would be my two 'go to' products.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bbari wrote: »
    The car had 4/5 layers of different waxes so i thought to try striping them off and start again. This is what I did,

Washed using APC, rinsed, washed again using APC, rinsed, Washed using CG shampoo, rinsed, washed using CG shampoo, rinsed, a cost of Fusso for durability and couple of hours later another coat of Authentic for shine.

Wheels - washed with APC, then BH sprayed and left on for 5 minutes, rinsed. front wheels were treated twice as there was so much brake dust on em, there are still traces of dust on the front wheels. Need to buy CG wheel guards for protection but for the time being I applied the Fusso on the wheels too.

Special thanks to Curran and Vecta for their valuable advise, please carry on advising :)

Products used :)

Super job.
    Car looks better than new.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

vectra wrote: »
    Super job.
    Car looks better than new.

Thank you, your comment paid off my 4 hours hard work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bbari wrote: »
    Thank you, your comment paid off my 4 hours hard work :)

No problem
    The only one piece of advice I could offer is you need to clean out all crevices where Wax remains.
    IE
    Parking sensors ~ Headlamp washer caps etc.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    No problem The only one piece of advice I could offer is you need to clean out all crevices where Wax remains. IE Parking sensors ~ Headlamp washer caps etc.

Noted.
    By the time i finished waxing, the elbow grease was gone :) what do you use to remove residual wax from these areas?

Also, after using the APC i also found out that there are tiny marks on the bonnet only from not washing the car properly (1st wash by the garage + €5 wash with one bucket and sponge -before my Boards.ie days :) ) . Only visible when sun shines on the bonnet . Do you think i can remove em by polishing SRP with hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Graham 1324

Has anyone else tried this spray on, wipe off wax from the euro shops I use it in between coats and results are impressive for 1.50 a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Has anyone else tried this spray on, wipe off wax from the euro shops I use it in between coats and results are impressive for 1.50 a bottle

I haven't used the wax but I have used the alloy wheel cleaner. For €1.50 a bottle it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

6E38B5F4-6E81-4150-BBBB-7FAFEDA77836_zpssmmto2ly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

I have been following the thread for some time now...

Obviously there are so many products for cleaning / detailing etc, but what would your recommendations be for the following:

1. Tar Removal
    2. Shampoo
    3. Wheel Cleaner
    4. Tyre Shine
    5. Plastic and trim cleaner
    6. Polish
    7. Accessories... washing mitt, polish cloth etc

Just setting out to purchase a basic set to get me started, but am at a loss what to go for. Any pointers appreciated.

I have a Karcher pressure washer with soap bottle.

Cheers

• Advertisement

The vital things you require before getting anything else are; a good wash mitt, good drying towel, pH neutral shampoo, 2 buckets....using the Two Bucket Method. This will ensure your paintwork remains in its current condition, and wont get any worse going forward.

Budget aside, and choosing the leading products...

1. Tar Removal - Car Pro TarX, 50Cal Target, Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse - Autosmart Tardis is another favourite by many; cheap, but requires several applications to remove tar spots.
    2. Shampoo - Bilt Hamber Auto Wash, 50Cal Target, Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo
    3. Wheel Cleaner - 50Cal Retaliate, Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel (contains fall out remover), Chemical Guys Diablo Gel
    4. Tyre Shine - Car Pro PERL,
    5. Plastic and trim cleaner - I assume you mean interior, an All Purpose Cleaner
    6. Polish - Hand polish; often determined by the wax or sealant you are going to apply on top; usually best to stick with products from the same manufacturer.
    7. Accessories... washing mitt, polish cloth etc - Microfiber Madness produce quality mitts and towels / cloths.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Curran wrote: »
    The vital things you require before getting anything else are; a good wash mitt, good drying towel, pH neutral shampoo, 2 buckets....using the Two Bucket Method. This will ensure your paintwork remains in its current condition, and wont get any worse going forward.

Budget aside, and choosing the leading products...

1. Tar Removal - Car Pro TarX, 50Cal Target, Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse - Autosmart Tardis is another favourite by many; cheap, but requires several applications to remove tar spots.
    2. Shampoo - Bilt Hamber Auto Wash, 50Cal Target, Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo
    3. Wheel Cleaner - 50Cal Retaliate, Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel (contains fall out remover), Chemical Guys Diablo Gel
    4. Tyre Shine - Car Pro PERL,
    5. Plastic and trim cleaner - I assume you mean interior, an All Purpose Cleaner
    6. Polish - Hand polish; often determined by the wax or sealant you are going to apply on top; usually best to stick with products from the same manufacturer.
    7. Accessories... washing mitt, polish cloth etc - Microfiber Madness produce quality mitts and towels / cloths.

Many thanks for the steer...... I'll look at ordering up what I need come pay day!. Will post results. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Many thanks for the steer...... I'll look at ordering up what I need come pay day!. Will post results. Thanks again

Go onto detailingshed.ie you will get all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

It's http://www.detailingshed.com/ & yes they've got all you need :cool:

Alfie1 wrote: »
    It's http://www.detailingshed.com/ & yes they've got all you need :cool:

.com yes my bad I always add .ie for some reason :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Where did you get this stuff,

P.S. dat shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Graham 1324

Done a detail on my mates da's car today took 9 hours

First up was a wash , then detar, compound, another 2 washes, chamois dried, turtle wax , tyres done and interior done last here's some pics

Looks very well indeed!

Get rid of the chamois; that will inflict swirls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I wouldn't be putting that buffer on the ground either you'll get fine grit/dirt on the material. Can only end badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Curran wrote: »
    Looks very well indeed!

Get rid of the chamois; that will inflict swirls.

+1 - Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy is where it's at. Absolutely superb drying towel, especially if the car has a coat or 2 of Collinite 845 (from experience) :)

It may seem expensive but when you consider that it'll last you as long a fwe years compared to microfibres, it's well worth it!

Great job though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭eagerv

+1 - Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy is where it's at. Absolutely superb drying towel, especially if the car has a coat or 2 of Collinite 845 (from experience) :)

It may seem expensive but when you consider that it'll last you as long a fwe years compared to microfibres, it's well worth it!

Great job though!

Just got the Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy and Collinite 845 from Curran on monday.

Have tried the towel and agree that it's amazing, the amount of water it can hold. No more Chamois for me, especially seeing the car is only a few months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Would one towel do for a salon sized car or do you need multiple towels for a drying?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Heathen wrote: »
    Would one towel do for a salon sized car or do you need multiple towels for a drying?

1 towel is fine. You fold it into quarters and each quarter would do bonnet/roof/bootlid so there's loads left over if you know what I mean for the doors, front and rear bumper.

You could nearly use the opposite side to remove any small streaks. I use a separate microfibre for this though because after the initial dry with the DMC, I then spray on Gtechnic C1 and buff to a shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Lovely stuff, might do a bit of shopping come payday :)

Cheers man

H

Will do a car the size of a 5 series, without having to be rung out. I bunch one end and hold it away from the car, get the heavy stuff up with the other and finish the streaks with the dry end. ;)

Any deals on curran?

I needs a towel....;)

Curran wrote:
    Will do a car the size of a 5 series, without having to be rung out. I bunch one end and hold it away from the car, get the heavy stuff up with the other and finish the streaks with the dry end.

When the car have a wax like 845 on, you can dry the whole car with half of the towel :)

Any deals on curran?

I needs a towel....;)

Quick look at the site shows they are doing a very nice deal; Wash Bundle - the Dry Me Crazy Drying Towel, the Increidimitt Wash Mitt and the 50Cal Tracer Shampoo

Cant go wrong with any of those! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

eagerv wrote: »
    Just got the Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy and Collinite 845 from Curran on monday.

Is Collinite back in stock? The website says out of stock.

• Advertisement

Order submitted; waiting for invoice; probably be back in stock by mid next week! :)

Advertisement