Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

boss "half" asking questions

• 18-10-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have an issue that is a little hard to explain. I have a boss who asks very regularly asks me questions about what "we" or he should do, or thinks out loud about something.
    Now a positive interpretation of that action is that he wants ideas and me to be involved etc.
    A negative one is that he is trying to catch me out.

So I have a few problems.
    1) I can't figure out is he trying to catch me out or not.
    2) I have no idea normally , ( as am new in job ) what to do , and don't know how to say this professionally. I was thinking of asking him what he thinks the pros and cons are. But don't know how to phrase this either.

I guess in conclusion I find it quite frustrating as even when I do say something he normally agrees but does his original plan anyhow..

How have people handled this situation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Why not ask him directly if he is asking for your opinion / input into the subject next time it arises?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would guess that the boss would rather you worked things out for yourself, but knows that you don't know enough to do so yet. So he's showing you his thought processes, as well as gauging how much you know by asking questions.

Get busy thinking about what he asks. If you don't know the answer - investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Say that its an interesting idea and worth exploring further. That way its neither negative or positive and lets you come back to him on mature reflection.

Advertisement