Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reject a job offer?

• 15-10-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been jobhunting after finishing a masters, and in a moment of panic applied for a few really basic, totally unrelated to my career jobs. Ended up having an interview with one that seemed promising, but turned out to be basically data entry for minimum wage.

Now, they've offered me a job. I'm really leaning towards not taking it, I just can't see myself getting anything out of it. I've been volunteering and making contacts that could really help in my actual career, possibly lead directly to a job in a month or so, but would basically have to give all that up for this job. I'm not stuck for money at the moment, so would it really be that bad to reject it? Would a few months unrelated employment look better on a CV than the same amount of time volunteering in my area?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I would say only do it if you need the money, which you say you don't. You're volunteering in your area and developing the skills needed. Just tell the other company "thanks for the offer but I've taken up another position".

Advertisement