Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apprentice in a Pickle..

• 07-10-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Evenening all,

Just looking for a bit of advice from some qualified tradesmen.

I'm in a bit of a pickle in work. I'm supposed to be heading off to FÁS for ph6 in January but our 1st year went to ph2 last week and wont be back till mid February and I'm afraid that I'll be kept from going to ph6. I was held back from ph4 by the job last September which I completed early this year and was told I wouldn't be held back again.

But I know for a fact the job would have a panic attack at merley the thought of only having 3 technicians for the new year (main dealer) and I fear that will be the excuse to hold me back again.

I was talking with a friend last week and he said if I they try hold me back to hand in my notice, go to ph6 and spend the 10 weeks searching for a new job.

On a side note, I'm not overly happy in the job and leaving has been on my mind but not with ph6 impending so soon.

What are your opinions? Is it worth the risk? What position is the trade in at the moment for ph7 mechanics waiting to finish their time??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RevOC

Anybody??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you leave your employer will you be able to go to phase 7 without a new one?

What's the job market out there like for people in your position? Leave and you can't find a new job and you won't go to phase 7 anyway.

I don't know the ins and outs of apprentice training but it sounds like your stuck between the rock and the hard place.

Also they haven't stopped you yet from going to phase 6 so they may have a contingency plan in place to cover your loss, or they may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RevOC

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If you leave your employer will you be able to go to phase 7 without a new one?

What's the job market out there like for people in your position? Leave and you can't find a new job and you won't go to phase 7 anyway.

I don't know the ins and outs of apprentice training but it sounds like your stuck between the rock and the hard place.

Also they haven't stopped you yet from going to phase 6 so they may have a contingency plan in place to cover your loss, or they may not.

No I can still go to ph6 (college) without an employer, I just need a job to complete ph7 (on the job) to work up my time to complete my apprenticeship.

Our garage is reasonably small with only 5 people in the garage, that is now down to 4 with the 1st year gone to FÁS 'till mid February, I haven't gotten my call for January yet, that won't arrive 'till late Nov/early Dec, but it's when I'm due to go. They don't think that far ahead to worry about it, it wont be thought about on their end 'till it lands on the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

RevOC wrote: »
    No I can still go to ph6 (college) without an employer.

Are you certain about that? Id confirm that with fas first, normally the employer needs to approve your departure to an off the job phase before fas confirms your place on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

My advice would be to stay in the job and if they hold you back, as much of a pain that it is, a few months until the next phase 6 starts isn't a huge amount of time to wait.

I was in the same situation before a few years ago and was held back from going and in the end it didnt delay me getting qualified as I still had to be registered 4 years before getting qualified so had I of gone to fas the first time I would still not qualify any earlier. This depends how quickly you have got through the system but check your registration number. The last 4 digits are your registration month and year. You cannot finish before 4 years from that date.

Also an appentice I know recently was in the same situation as you and he left a job because they tried to hold him back. He went to fas and couldn't find a job when he left. Any job offers he got were places who wouldn't pay 4th year rate saying they could get a qualified lad for pretty much the same money, so they would only take someone on if they would work below their fas rate.

I have seen a few apprentices get messed around in recent years especially with the redundant apprentice scheme and I think if you think they will keep you until you qualify it might be worth sticking with it and you will probably find you will get your papers quicker than looking for a job after the 10 weeks of fas. Sometimes the long way is the short way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement