Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Appetite for destruction was released 27 years ago today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I got a copy of the 'Appetite for Democracy' DVD on Import and as a GNR fan now for a few years its the first time I've been really shocked at how band Axl's vocals are in some sections of that performance. I'm surprised it was allowed to be released.

In fact, the DVD did the band an injustice, because it failed (probably naturally) to capture the adrenaline and power you take as an audience member from their show...I also felt that the lack of songs like Riad, Shackler's and IRS was a mistake...but then we can't have all our favourites.

That being said, I took another full listen to Chinese Democracy this week for the first time in a long while...some great tunes on that album....it is a real classic in my opinion and will be remembered, overall, as such

Riad remains a personal favourite of mine though 'Scrapped' is, like 'Anything Goes' before it, the only song I can't listen too an otherwise brilliant album IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

The latest rumour doing the rounds is that Bumblefoot is leaving GNR. The forum where I read about this claims to have an inside source, but what is pretty telling is the fact that Ron has changed his twitter bio (and other social media profiles) to say: "Guns N' Roses guitarist (2006 - 2014)".

It sucks that he's leaving, but it has been rumoured for a while now. So who can they bring in? My vote would go to Buckethead, but I'm not so sure he left on good terms the last time. Guthrie Govan would be another excellent fit, and seems to be buddies with Ron.

It'll probably end up being everyone's favourite Hanson brother, Nick Sterling tho :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listening to YCBM for the first time in ages and my god id forgotten how to good a song it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

RVD420 wrote: »
    The latest rumour doing the rounds is that Bumblefoot is leaving GNR. The forum where I read about this claims to have an inside source, but what is pretty telling is the fact that Ron has changed his twitter bio (and other social media profiles) to say: "Guns N' Roses guitarist (2006 - 2014)".

It sucks that he's leaving, but it has been rumoured for a while now. So who can they bring in? My vote would go to Buckethead, but I'm not so sure he left on good terms the last time. Guthrie Govan would be another excellent fit, and seems to be buddies with Ron.

It'll probably end up being everyone's favourite Hanson brother, Nick Sterling tho :rolleyes:

Respect to Buckethead and all that, but that comeback lineup that Guns n Roses had in 2002 was the motliest crew I had ever seen. Just a bunch of talented but mismatched guys. Buckethead was especially never an aesthetic fit for the band, and probably a bit wasted on them as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Ya I like Buckethead but you're right.And ya..the biggest problem for Guns is Axls voice which though it's tough to say..just sounds awful most of the time.He can still do it on occasion but check out his duet with Neil Young which I had the misfortune of listening to.I read some bloggers calling him Mickey Mouse which was sad but kinda true.I've seen them the last two times but I guess it's hard to pick up on these things after a few beers.That's a voice that's not coming back without some miracle.My mates would laugh at me if they heard that ****.Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hate axle rose, asshat of the highest order for innumerable reasons.
    would love to see all other original members back with myles kennedy to tour the appetite album
    that would be closer than rose ever got with his crew of admittedly fantastic musicians

he is a world class prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

They tried that already with Velvet Revolver and guess what?Even though they were good..a certain guitarist couldn't deal with the junkie singer who only saw things from his perspective all the time as he tried to chase the dragon!That was prolly the time he went up to his former singer bandmate and ragged on his VR mates.Nah..the original lineup plus a big jar of honey or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Hate axle rose, asshat of the highest order for innumerable reasons.
    would love to see all other original members back with myles kennedy to tour the appetite album
    that would be closer than rose ever got with his crew of admittedly fantastic musicians

he is a world class prick.

Hate to open this can of worms but Slash left Guns N' Roses starting the demise of the original band it wasn't like he was kicked out.

I'm a fan of Alter Bridge and Slash's project is holding them back, prefered if he got back with V.R. which as the other poster mentioned it seems someone in a hat is who it will be down to.

Here's a newish article wish it put to bed any silly hopes of a reunion...
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-i-have-a-hard-time-picturing-any-kind-of-future-collaboration-with-axl-rose/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 science101

been a massive GnR fan pretty much all my life, would pretty much love to see the original lineup back together (matt sorum for me though i prefer him as a drummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's 23 years to the day since Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 were both released. I remember walking into HMV on Henry Street just after 9am and they were already blasting out Right Next Door To Hell! The lad who served me must have got a couple of advance copies because he told me they were both amazing. A couple of hours later I realised he wasn't wrong about that.

This song and video just brings back so many memories of a golden era. What an incredible band they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I thought the Use Your Illusion albums were released 23 years ago tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I thought the Use Your Illusion albums were released 23 years ago tomorrow

You might be right, I just saw it on Twitter from a GNR account that I follow.

https://twitter.com/gunsnroses

Did it have different release dates in the US and rest of the world?

You might be right, I just saw it on Twitter from a GNR account that I follow.

https://twitter.com/gunsnroses

Did it have different release dates in the US and rest of the world?

That's the legit GN'R Twitter & someone behind the scenes got the release date for the Illusions albums wrong, think it had the same release date around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Definitely 23 years ago,remember queuing outside the virgin megastore to buy it on release day. I'm sure I still have the original cassettes around somewhere. It's hard to describe 23 years on just what the sense of anticipation for the De facto follow up to appetite was like. They really were the biggest band on the planet at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Who'd of believed at the time that, that would be pretty much the end for the band.

Just put on UYI1 for a listen.

Too young to remember the original release with any clarity - must of been about 7 or 8 at the time, but did grow up with the music of Guns N' Roses in my "formative" years and have always loved this album. Think I definately prefer it to the second installment released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Think I'm one of the few people who prefer the Use Your Illusions albums to Appetite - can't believe they never make Best Album ever lists. Maybe there is a small amount of filler but other than that they are so diverse and I could listen to them over and over.

A best of Illusions album would have been my favourite album of all time! But if there was only one disc we would have missed out on a lot of great songs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Too young to remember the original release with any clarity - must of been about 7 or 8 at the time, but did grow up with the music of Guns N' Roses in my "formative" years and have always loved this album. Think I definately prefer it to the second installment released.
    I remember getting the bus into town and buying them in the Sound Cellar. Only regret is that I bought them on tape. I wish I had gotten the vinyl

GN'R are heading out on tour again in 2015, confirmed by D.J Ashba in an interview with Legendary Rock Interviews, and of course the usual question of a new album reared it's head.
    LRI: Does Guns N’ Roses have any recording or touring plans in 2015?
    DJ: We are planning on doing quite a bit of touring this coming year. The focus is getting in a studio and putting together what we all feel is the best Guns N’ Roses record. Lack of material is not an issue. We have tons of stuff. Axl has two full albums that he has recorded, he has played me a bunch of songs off of that, are incredible! I can’t wait to get in and kind of dive into those as well. I’ve written tons of songs & demoed up a bunch of stuff. I think it is just a matter of getting in & sifting through the piles of material.

SAME OLD SONG N' DANCE WITH THIS BAND, IF YOU COULD EVEN CALL GN'R A BAND AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

• Advertisement

6 years today since it was released (After 17 years, millions of dollars, countless producers, a revolving door of session players, and recorded in 14 studios around the world.)

GNRchinesedemocracy.jpg

It seems the wheels may have been set in motion on working on a follow up to Chinese Democracy

B3-9l8kCcAA-hkA.jpg

And Richard Fortus revealed this nugget of information
    A lot of the new stuff that we’ve been working on; some of the stuff come from nothing and some of the stuff is stuff that we’ve been working on that were ideas that were already there. Some of the stuff Slash did — it was the beginning of the seed of the song that’s been around for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

You can't trust a word from any member of GNR especially that shameless poser Ashba. He has been bull****ing about new songs ever since he joined the band.

I never want to see that bellend on an official GNR studio album.

And Bumblefoot is by all accounts out of the band.

You can't trust a word from any member of GNR especially that shameless poser Ashba. He has been bull****ing about new songs ever since he joined the band.

I never want to see that bellend on an official GNR studio album.

And Bumblefoot is by all accounts out of the band.

Axl would be the only one i'd believe about a new GN'R album, and MAYBE Richard Fortus to a degree..... D.J Ashba do not get me started on that stunad, but unfortunately he will be on the next GN'R album whether we like it or not, who knows he could be brilliant in the studio, but live he can't play to save his life If he redoes any of the stuff Robin recorded i will be fuming.

Yeah according to his Twitter bio Bumblefoot is outta GN'R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

There will never be another GNR studio album.

Not while Axl is still alive, several posthumous albums would be the best bet now.

What is the deal with Bumblefoot though, because there has been no official word that I'm aware of, yet the man himself has changed his Twitter to reflect his tenure in Guns N' Roses as 2006-2014 and is now doing a UK solo tour, normally the indication that you need to strike while the iron is hot on these things the moment you've left the band

Bumblefoot has threatened to walk before, then again if anyone was in GN'R touring & playing the same songs night after night, year after year with no word/progress on a new album, they'd be frustrated as well.

IF Bumblefoot has really walked then nobody will miss him, Axl will probably bring in another nameless/faceless guitar player and the nostalgia tour will carry on.

Shame that this is what Axl is reduced to, touring the hits, whatever happened to the vision he had post the original line up collapsing.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Shame that this is what Axl is reduced to, touring the hits, whatever happened to the vision he had post the original line up collapsing.

Yes, I remember that Kurt Loder interview in 98 or 99 where he spoke about that. Would have been a phenomenally good project. Then again, maybe he spent so much money he needed to do something to recoup the bills he owed.

Advertisement