Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish gun dealers selling pistols

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

One potential problem:

Person gets used to handling a replica, and then when he/she handles real weapon, they do not treat it with repect as, up until now, they associate that 'gun' with being perfectly harmless no matter what you do with it..

I agree totally OP. the only way to get your safe handling sorted is a club with experienced instructors, R.O.'s and members to guide you. You will learn very fast too:D

Get thee to a pistol range Whupass:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Get thee to a pistol range Whupass:)

couldn't agree more, you'll have a ball and tray and do some safety courses if ya can.

Fair play for asking the questions, no one knows everything so its best to ask and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

Any around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

whupass wrote:
    Any around Dublin?
    I go to Hilltop mostly, nice indoor range and a great brand new practical range which is now up and (literally ) running (be a while before you would get near the practical though Whupass).

By the way MODS I am not commercially involved with Hilltop in any way before ye ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

whupass wrote:
    where is it?
    See post #2 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51709874&postcount=2) in this very thread.

On the subject of using airsoft guns as training tools, I suppose I should have clarified my reasoning a bit better. I meant that they could be useful in a controlled training environment, not giving someone an airsoft and saying: "Go off now and learn plenty of bad habits with that yoke, and when you get bored of it we'll set you up with a real gun".
    As they will be (we hope) classed as toys, neither the instructor nor the student need be licenced for the 'gun', and the training doesn't even have to take place at one of these famous 'authorised ranges'.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

As many of the previous posts have suggested, visit one the clubs that shoot pistol. Hilltop have a very decent indoor range. Organise a visit with your Uncle and simply have look at the set up. Best option would be to join a ISSF club and develop the fundmentals of pistol shooting. This foundation will stand you in good stead if you then decide to shoot Practical Pistol or PP1500. The various clubs run saftey courses , this aspect is the most important , and in the majority of clubs it is mandatory to complete a saftey course during your first year. Enjoy this great sport and dont be afraid to ask questions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

I am moving to Ireland soon, I am not an IE or even EU citizen (US). I was curious what the license requirements were for non citizens. I do plan on becoming a citizen, however that takes a few years, and first I have to get permission to stay permanantly.

If licensing restrctions arent that bad, and gardai gives me permission to stay (and I have no reason to believe they wont), I would also be looking to import a HK USP 9mm pistol from the US. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it be better to just buy a new pistol over there, rather than try to import from the US (the weapon is already owned here, but its easy enough to sell if it would be more costly to import vs buy new there, or even take a bazillion years to get all the paperwork squared away).

Are there any competency requirements or medical evaluations other than mental stability required? I ask this becuase I have only one hand, which to date hasnt prevented me from shooting, which I started about 20 years ago.

Also, given there is some talk about .22 pistols in this thread, does anyone have any knowledge of Ruger Mark IIIs there? There was reference to a 'mosquito', something I havent heard about, but I kinda like the mark III personally.

Thanks for any insight that can be given, I know that to a point some of this is new terroritory since for nearly 30 years permits werent issued for pistols, and some of my questions may not have ever come up with anyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

I am moving to Ireland soon, I am not an IE or even EU citizen (US). I was curious what the license requirements were for non citizens. I do plan on becoming a citizen, however that takes a few years, and first I have to get permission to stay permanantly.

If you have Irish parents or grandparent you can claim Irish citzenship.There is a dual nationality agreement between Ireland and the US.
    Might be a good idea anyway,some folks are getting abit anti US over here,due to the current difficulties in Iraq,etc.

If licensing restrctions arent that bad, and gardai gives me permission to stay (and I have no reason to believe they wont), I would also be looking to import a HK USP 9mm pistol from the US. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The pistol or importing it? THe USP is a tack driver or so I hear. The gist of importing it.Ship thru an FFL dealer in the US that is State dept liscensed to handle outside CONUS exports to a European dealer who imports from the US.Get your EU firearms passport,go and collect from dealer in the EU or Continent.[relatively expensive]
    Get liscense for pistol here from the Gardai,get import cert from Irish DOJ, lock up well, observe ATF or local law re out of state transfer of handgun.Put in cargo luggage on flight to Ireland,declare at Irish customs as personal property,show import lic and Garda lic.[somwhat cheaper]
    Would it be better to just buy a new pistol over there, rather than try to import from the US (the weapon is already owned here, but its easy enough to sell if it would be more costly to import vs buy new there, or even take a bazillion years to get all the paperwork squared away).

If ya dont mind paying over the odds for a pistol here,sure.For a HK KA -- CHINGGG!!!Import yourself,you can then sell it too at a profit.
    Are there any competency requirements or medical evaluations other than mental stability required? I ask this becuase I have only one hand, which to date hasnt prevented me from shooting, which I started about 20 years ago.
    ASFIK nothing of physical disability,and I doubt anyone would want to make noise on that,them being all very PC and all. They will just want to know if we are all nuts,or not.:rolleyes:
    Also, given there is some talk about .22 pistols in this thread, does anyone have any knowledge of Ruger Mark IIIs there? There was reference to a 'mosquito', something I havent heard about, but I kinda like the mark III personally.
    Think that is the SIG Mosquito.A 22lr Sig pistol or pistol upper conversion.

Dunno about the Mk3 ,but the Ruger mk2 was/is an exellent little pistol within it's limits.It's Ruger,so when the trigger is pulled, it will go Bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

If you have Irish parents or grandparent you can claim Irish citzenship.There is a dual nationality agreement between Ireland and the US.
    Nah, its been more than 2 generations since immigrating (not my fault honest! :)

The pistol or importing it? THe USP is a tack driver or so I hear.
    Actually I have found them to be quite reliable. The first servicable part is the recoil spring at about 50k rounds, as opposed to say a glock where at 20k rounds you have to replace the frame ... A test was done to see how reliable it was, and in one phase of this a bullet was jammed into the barrel, then a live round placed behind it and it was fired. A slight bulge was present, which only caused a 0.25 inch (6.3mm or so) deviation at 50 feet. That isnt bad at all.
    Dunno about the Mk3 ,but the Ruger mk2 was/is an exellent little pistol within it's limits.It's Ruger,so when the trigger is pulled, it will go Bang.

The MKIII is roughly the same cept some additional safety features were added. Breakdown is basically the same, although not identical, and its kinda a PITA to breakdown becuase there are some peices that dont want to line up properly (some of the new ones). The MKII is illegal in some parts of the US now (for new sales anyway) becuase they dont have the extra feel good safety features, and MKII parts are interchangable for the most part, so many people get the MKIII and retrofit it to make it a MKII (which is legal here).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Nah, its been more than 2 generations since immigrating (not my fault honest! :)

Might be still worth a try.:D

Actually I have found them to be quite reliable. The first servicable part is the recoil spring at about 50k rounds, as opposed to say a glock where at 20k rounds you have to replace the frame ... A test was done to see how reliable it was, and in one phase of this a bullet was jammed into the barrel, then a live round placed behind it and it was fired. A slight bulge was present, which only caused a 0.25 inch (6.3mm or so) deviation at 50 feet. That isnt bad at all.

A Glock that quits after 20K rounds??? :eek:About the life of three police officers??? Maybe 200k plus!! Last time I read their sales blurb they had tested it to 250 K,and it was still shooting merrily,and that was 1st Gen Glock,[stats were early 90s]
    The MKIII is roughly the same cept some additional safety features were added. Breakdown is basically the same, although not identical, and its kinda a PITA to breakdown becuase there are some peices that dont want to line up properly (some of the new ones). The MKII is illegal in some parts of the US now (for new sales anyway) becuase they dont have the extra feel good safety features, and MKII parts are interchangable for the most part, so many people get the MKIII and retrofit it to make it a MKII (which is legal here).

Has it gone that dingbatish over there now??:eek: :(
    Is this in gun friendly states like CA or NYC?? Let me guess somone in Ruger decided a mk3 would be a good canditate for the electronic trigger lock:rolleyes:

Advertisement