Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do all the cars go on Friday?

• 21-11-2014 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Why are there significantly fewer cars on the road on Friday mornings? The M50 this morning was plain sailing all the way. Its been a nightmare all week. It was the same last friday and i'm pretty sure the friday before that as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

People go for drinks after work :)

Culchies get trains home for the weekend

Traffic is always quieter on a Friday morning, it's nothing new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

mikemac1 wrote: »
    People go for drinks after work :)

Culchies get trains home for the weekend

Traffic is always quieter on a Friday morning, it's nothing new

I realise its nothing new. But the change in traffic is very extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some people work a 4-day week.

Some people choose to use public transport on Friday, to facilitate their after-work alcohol consumption.

Some students don't have classes on a Friday (some of the college buses run on Thursday nights).

Some people work from home on Fridays.

Put all these some-peoples together, and you have A Big Difference.

(You're seeing the effects on the M50 - but we see the same thing in carparks outside multi-nationals on the other side of the country, too.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Conversely for the M50, Friday afternoon can be a nightmare northbound as the mass exodus out of Dublin commences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beano wrote: »
    Why are there significantly fewer cars on the road on Friday mornings? The M50 this morning was plain sailing all the way. Its been a nightmare all week. It was the same last friday and i'm pretty sure the friday before that as well.
    Friday, and Monday to a lesser degree, are normally a bit lighter. Those are the days more people take random days off to extend the weekend, on top of the alcohol related reasons mentioned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I think we need more people working from home, and more people drinking, so we can have a traffic free m50 every single morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I think we need more people working from home,

This is definitely going to happen by default eventually - i can already see a shift in people doing this (without detriment to their work). Management are happy to essentially let people do what they want as long as the work gets done (goal based management rather than sitting in the office for 10 hours for the sake of being seen management)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    This is definitely going to happen by default eventually - i can already see a shift in people doing this (without detriment to their work). Management are happy to essentially let people do what they want as long as the work gets done (goal based management rather than sitting in the office for 10 hours for the sake of being seen management)

Yes, I think there're a lot of job out there that can be performed from home. It's the lack of trust and education from management/employees (if you're not in the office, you're not working :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

A lot of public sector folk are on flexitime and with careful time management this can mean a day off every two weeks. Personally this means every 2nd Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mothers coming back from maternity leave can ask their employer for unpaid leave.

In my workplace I see a lot working 4 day weeks.

If your 5 day week and your overtime puts you into the high tax bracket tbh the difference in take home pay between a 4 day and a 5 days week isn't that much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

n97 mini wrote: »
    A lot of public sector folk are on flexitime and with careful time management this can mean a day off every two weeks. Personally this means every 2nd Friday.

You can only generate one flexi-day per 4 week period, not every second week.

Plus, working from home is rarely an option in the PS.

I'm doing effectively the same job I was doing in the PS 3 months ago - with two key differences - I'm now paid more and I work from home.

If working from home was brought in for more public service staff (it's not suitable for most, but it's grossly underused in the PS), you'd go a long way towards improving the traffic situation in our cities.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Conversely for the M50, Friday afternoon can be a nightmare northbound as the mass exodus out of Dublin commences.

And the N4/N7 outbound whereas the inbound was relatively clear in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lombardo86 wrote: »

Not given the current architecture of many Irish homes, and current OOS awareness.

Most companies want a H&S assessment before you regularly work from a site. This includes having a separate, lockable area to keep papers / equipment secure, ergonomic desk, chair, etc. I don't see many Irish houses with this sort of space.

There is no way I could meet my current employer's physical space requirements to be allowed to work from home. And even getting permission for taking the occasional call required telling more white lies than I'm comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This morning, like every morning, I took a Dublin bike to work. I live in Central Dublin and am only 10-15 mins by bike from the office. From the moment I walked out I noticed it was deathly quiet very few cars on the road and significantly less pedestrians. Got to the bike station, it was half full. Normally I struggle to get a bike at that time. Then when I came in, I mentioned it to a colleague and he said the same thing, very quiet this morning, and he walked from the opposite direction in.

I know Fridays are usually not quite as mad busy as other days but today was unusually slow. Definitely quieter than a normal Friday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The company I work for at the moment offer working from home, and of 15 people on my team, about 10 work from home every Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

cgcsb wrote: »
    This morning, like every morning, I took a Dublin bike to work. I live in Central Dublin and am only 10-15 mins by bike from the office. From the moment I walked out I noticed it was deathly quiet very few cars on the road and significantly less pedestrians. Got to the bike station, it was half full. Normally I struggle to get a bike at that time. Then when I came in, I mentioned it to a colleague and he said the same thing, very quiet this morning, and he walked from the opposite direction in.

I know Fridays are usually not quite as mad busy as other days but today was unusually slow. Definitely quieter than a normal Friday.
    Traffic in town was very heavy last night - maybe everybody just headed home/away on Thursday and took Friday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Jawgap wrote: »

For us (PS in a state agency) it's one every two weeks. We have working from home too, but most don't, in my case I prefer the office as there's good banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I think we need more people working from home, and more people drinking, so we can have a traffic free m50 every single morning :)

Who's going to pay me to stay at home and drink though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Jawgap wrote: »

Plus, working from home is rarely an option in the PS.

I'm doing effectively the same job I was doing in the PS 3 months ago - with two key differences - I'm now paid more and I work from home.

If working from home was brought in for more public service staff (it's not suitable for most, but it's grossly underused in the PS), you'd go a long way towards improving the traffic situation in our cities.

Or you could remove the car parks that public servants use. There is no reason for them to have a free car space if they live on a public transport route. A majority of the private sector doesn't have a car space and still manages to get to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

hfallada wrote: »
    Or you could remove the car parks that public servants use. There is no reason for them to have a free car space if they live on a public transport route. A majority of the private sector doesn't have a car space and still manages to get to work

Yep and plenty still drive to work to, even without the 'free' parking.

Plus, the key qualifying statement relates to living on a public transport route! Because our excellent public transport system aligns very well with where people live in the GDA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stheno wrote: »
    The company I work for at the moment offer working from home, and of 15 people on my team, about 10 work from home every Friday

My other halves company does that too, but the only people who are offered the option, are fairly senior people, who are fairly high up the food chain. They are trusted not to goof off. The more lowly employees don't seem to be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I realise its nothing new. But the change in traffic is very extreme

When roads are very congested, a very small amount of traffic reduction can have a dramatic affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

monument wrote: »
    When roads are very congested, a very small amount of traffic reduction can have a dramatic affect.

Exactly. Road congestion has a tipping point. Below that particular point, it doesn't really matter how many/few cars use the road, congestion will be minimal to non-existant. All it takes is to go a little above that tipping point for congestion to become significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

PS culchies head home on a Thursday night afaik......
    Only messing.......maybe........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

monument wrote: »

Does anyone know what the actual numbers are on Friday mornings versus the rest of the week?

There is a common belief that it takes a huge reduction in the number of cars to alleviate congestion, hence all the misguided arguments against increasing the Level of Service for public transport, walking and cycling. Therefore the popular demand is typically for supply-side measures (more roads and a higher LOS for cars) and against Transportation Demand Management measures (congestion charging, bus corridors etc) that make more efficient use of existing infrastructure.

School-related traffic is another example of where supposedly intractable congestion disappears at certain times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Not given the current architecture of many Irish homes, and current OOS awareness.

Most companies want a H&S assessment before you regularly work from a site. This includes having a separate, lockable area to keep papers / equipment secure, ergonomic desk, chair, etc. I don't see many Irish houses with this sort of space.

There is no way I could meet my current employer's physical space requirements to be allowed to work from home. And even getting permission for taking the occasional call required telling more white lies than I'm comfortable with.

This. Nowadays even if you want to contract for some agencies.

Also some of the US multinationals are now reversing on a policy of encouraging working from home. Yahoo and Hewlett Packard to name two that come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This. Nowadays even if you want to contract for some agencies.

Also some of the US multinationals are now reversing on a policy of encouraging working from home. Yahoo and Hewlett Packard to name two that come to mind.

Agile is to blame for this - the methodology encourages more facetime (daily stand ups etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Most of our jobs in the workplace(multinational) can be done from home but management won't allow it unless its an extreme emergency(snow or middle of night outage) as it gives the higher up bosses the impression that our jobs can be done remotely for a lot cheaper in the likes of India. Hence a load of us have to commute to work every day. Besides, working from home in the winter can be costly with heating bills.

Advertisement