Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ratoath Road/Reillys Bridge level crossing elimination

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

L1011 wrote: »
    I would sincerely hope that when this and Porterstown are officially stopped up (Porterstown being delayed by political fiddling and nothing more) that they can tighten the timetables or add paths. Well, both hopefully.

This will not have any bearing on rail timetables.

Trains already operate at line speed at both locations, and are scheduled on that basis.

The main impact will be to improve road traffic flows, while also improving reliability on the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

lxflyer wrote: »
    This will not have any bearing on rail timetables.

Trains already operate at line speed at both locations, and are scheduled on that basis.

The main impact will be to improve road traffic flows, while also improving reliability on the railway.

The new signal arrangement will be for the signals protecting the crossing to be moved up line to create a new block section. While it won't improve speeds it will offer an additional block section on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A joy to travel over on the way home from work!

Absolutely on the way home it's fab but tried it yesterday morning on the way to work and the queue was unreal. Couldn't get across to the bridge on green for ages. Worse than before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolutely on the way home it's fab but tried it yesterday morning on the way to work and the queue was unreal. Couldn't get across to the bridge on green for ages. Worse than before!

I do be hitting the bridge between 7.30-7.45am and usually just breeze over. I'd imagine the two schools have an impact on the bridge from about 8.30-9.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A quick bump here.

The level crossing will finally be closed and decommissioned at midday tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »

I doubt that very much. My 9.55 departure (ex Leixlip) to Connolly takes 27 minutes and the next departure at 10.21 takes 36 minutes. That's a third more time to do the same journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

n97 mini wrote: »
    I doubt that very much. My 9.55 departure (ex Leixlip) to Connolly takes 27 minutes and the next departure at 10.21 takes 36 minutes. That's a third more time to do the same journey.

What has that to do with Reilly's Crossing and it's removal? That's a completely different issue.

My point was that there are no speed restrictions on that section of track either side of the level crossing and as such line speed is applicable.

Removing the crossing is not going to change the speed of the trains, but it ought to mean better reliability.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where is the delay / padding though?

I've had a train leave Maynooth nearly 10 minutes late and arrive on time, although it's dwell time left one girl in Clonsilla as she assumed she had time to select a carriage and didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Is it just me or has this made any difference to other people in the morning? The queues on the Ratoath Road are still crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

factnee wrote: »
    Is it just me or has this made any difference to other people in the morning? The queues on the Ratoath Road are still crazy

Only in one direction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Yeah the traffic light s at the school/lollipop lady isban absolute killer. Its grand once ye pass the school .They should install barriers along the footpath and a three minute car flow/ one minute pedestrian crossing system in place. Something to this effect would solve the problem. Traffic was backed up to near the finglas side of the bridge the other morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Slunk wrote: »
    Yeah the traffic light s at the school/lollipop lady isban absolute killer. Its grand once ye pass the school .They should install barriers along the footpath and a three minute car flow/ one minute pedestrian crossing system in place. Something to this effect would solve the problem. Traffic was backed up to near the finglas side of the bridge the other morning.

You want to try to force school children to wait three minutes to cross a relatively minor road to a school in a residential area?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

factnee wrote: »

Traffic expands to fill available space.

monument wrote: »
    You want to try to force school children to wait three minutes to cross a relatively minor road to a school in a residential area?

Yep. Or delay their start time until 10am. Spend all that money on a bridge only to be held up on the far side by a set of lights at the busiest time of day

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Slunk wrote: »
    Yep. Or delay their start time until 10am. Spend all that money on a bridge only to be held up on the far side by a set of lights at the busiest time of day

Why don't you start work at another time?

I start work at various times :p Its only the 9 o clock start that's ever a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

All the usual selfish suggestions from motorists:

Start the schools later
    Let the students wait etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

Victor wrote: »
    Traffic expands to fill available space.
    That quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanW wrote: »
    That quickly?
    In a congested urban area, any changes to the system will tend to resolve themselves in 2-3 weeks. In this case, there is no new capacity at the existing junctions, so people who used to take other routes are now filling this route, while other are filling the gaps created.

Advertisement