Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's next for Google Chrome

• 21-10-2008 8:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I really liked chrome when it came out, very impressed with how it worked and its speed etc, but it's not going to replacing firefox as my browser of choice, because of the amount of extensions that I use.

However I'm wondering what is going to happen next with the development. They have just added greasemonkey support - but I'd like them to open it up so that people can write extensions etc

I thought that because of the fact its totally open source, others would take the code and build on it... Is this happening? What else is in the pipline?

Has anyone here switched to it as their primary browser?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It badly needs 'refresh all tabs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

I was quite impressed by it when it first came out and promptly used it as my default browser. I was since dismayed by the privacy issues and have returned (reluctantly) to IE for professional enterprises as it is the only browser our local IT dept will endorse. I do still use chrome for less productive pursuits. (I am posting this via chrome). I hope the issue regarding privacy is resolved as I find a very functional browser. Still wont beat opera for home browsing though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

GenghisCon wrote: »
    I was quite impressed by it when it first came out and promptly used it as my default browser. I was since dismayed by the privacy issues and have returned (reluctantly) to IE for professional enterprises as it is the only browser our local IT dept will endorse. I do still use chrome for less productive pursuits. (I am posting this via chrome). I hope the issue regarding privacy is resolved as I find a very functional browser. Still wont beat opera for home browsing though! :D

Privacy issues? Think that was sorted out with a revamped EULA, maybe you are referring to something different??

I find it good to use but for some sights say with scroll bars within the main window the forms were displaying incorrectly. The same sites were perfect on FF3.

Miss the google toolbar for autofill that was handy, and also for notifying when there was new gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Zascar wrote: »

However I'm wondering what is going to happen next with the development. They have just added greasemonkey support -

The guy in that link has some head on him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

Keith186 wrote: »
    Privacy issues? Think that was sorted out with a revamped EULA

"Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, told Ars that it's actually an oopsie from basically copying and pasting the same EULA it uses in other products, and that they're updating it as fast as they can to remove the ridiculous terms."

Maybe I'm being too cynical but I find it hard to believe that Google who undoubtedly has a substantial legal department would allow such an error through omission or negligence.

Seems the EULA is but one of the issues...
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11357/cio/could-security-issues-dull-chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Keith186 wrote: »
    The guy in that link has some head on him:D

Protruding frontal lobe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

GenghisCon wrote: »
    "Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, told Ars that it's actually an oopsie from basically copying and pasting the same EULA it uses in other products, and that they're updating it as fast as they can to remove the ridiculous terms."

Maybe I'm being too cynical but I find it hard to believe that Google who undoubtedly has a substantial legal department would allow such an error through omission or negligence.

Seems the EULA is but one of the issues...
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11357/cio/could-security-issues-dull-chrome
    You'd be surprised what can happen in large companies through error or ommission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Here's hoping they hurry up and release it on more operating systems.

Advertisement