Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Modem Issue

• 08-10-2008 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi everyone, am currently trying to get a friends computer connected to the net via a good old fashioned dial-up PCI Modem. But i cannot get it connected. Have tried anything i can think of but still no joy.

The problem is that its not able to pick up a dial tone for some reason. I've tried a new modem, updated all drivers, folowed the help and suport troubleshooter to the bitter end, checked com ports, used the hyper terminal etc etc. I've tried everything i can think of (Including obvious things like checking if the phone line is good!) It's driving me nuts!

Acording to windows "The device is working properly".......

Oh, its a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P55D2-FM, 3ghz P4, 1gb RAM.

Any help would be brilliant, will stop me kicking the bleedin thing out the nearest window!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

hmmm, u sure the cable running from the phone jack to the pc is ok? sounds very like a cable issue

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

alfagt wrote: »
    The problem is that its not able to pick up a dial tone for some reason. I've tried a new modem, updated all drivers, folowed the help and suport troubleshooter to the bitter end, checked com ports, used the hyper terminal etc etc. I've tried everything i can think of (Including obvious things like checking if the phone line is good!) It's driving me nuts!

First up is the phone line live? Do you have phone dialler installed (what OS are you using?) ..... cant recommend one but try here and call your mobile to test.

That will check the cable and the line, after that its all on the other end of the cable. Been ages since i thought of modems sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I think it's a cable issue too. Are you connecting the line from the phone socket directly to the modem port? Many modems require a converter to be placed on the cable as the Irish phone lines have wires in a different order than the rest of Europe.

It might look a bit like this
    gc-apm2p12a_1.jpg with a short cable on the end.

On my old PC, i had the same issue and it was only resolved when the manufacturer sent out the converter. This converter is not to confused with a filter used for DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 alfagt

Thanks for the replies guys, the cable i tested it with is what goes into the main house phone. Its been tested in my house too! Still no go. I can't understand why it doesn't work. Have used phone dialler software, stil no dial tone!

Oh its running XP SP2... I even reinstalled to see if that made a difference. Would give up and recommend broadband to him but he's in a very rural area so of course he can't get it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If your using dial-up, try connecting the phone cable thats coming direct from the pc directly into the phone socket.
    The above adapter is for splitting broadband signals from standard phone signals which dial-up use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Biggins wrote: »
    The above adapter is for splitting broadband signals from standard phone signals which dial-up use.
    No, it's not. A fact which I stated in my post.

This page gives more detail about what I was saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cheers. I stand corrected. My bad - was thinking of something else connector-wise, stupid me.

Tried with the line directly into the main phone socket, still no go. The UK to IRL connector isn't needed as far as i know, the connector into the modem is a standard irish connector. I've attached the query modem log to see if it has a clue in it as to whats wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Alfa fan, to Alfa fan... :)

Hmmm, the auld Winmodem issue...
    No dial tone. Typical...

First, try this:
    In the modem settings, remove the tick from the box which says 'Wait for dialtone before dialing". Then test the connection.
    If this works, you need to do as Irlrobins said and either get one of these devices or make your own cable.

That device simply drops two of the incoming four wires, feeding only the two center wires into the modem. I can't remember the full detail of the issue (it was from 1997!!) but it's to do with REN numbers, poor adherence to the international telecoms standards and software modems just being shoddy, shoddy pieces of crap.

Anyhow, if you can't get one of these devices, simply get a short piece of telephone cable with the standard RJ11 end connectors, and cut the two outside wires 2 & 5, leaving 3 & 4.

All should work then!

10-10-10, :) 05 2l GT, black........
    remove the tick from the box which says 'Wait for dialtone before dialing".

Tried that last night, no joy at all. THis really has me stumped! Its definately not a phoneline problem either, plugged my lappy in to check, it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mocha

Try the method as suggested by 10-10-20 anyway. The laptop modem may only have the two inside pins in the modem socket, so the issue would not show up.
    I have had problems with Fujitsu siemens in the past with some brands of modems so I usually carry a few different brands when fixing a modem problem.

Advertisement