Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

loftus hall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

pookie82 - check out www.AbandonedIreland.com The Magdalene Laundry Convent photos are on there

I have also uploaded the Irish Hell Fire Club

Hell Fire Club - Read the information and check out the pics

The location is totally amazing, the structure is bizzare and fascinating.

Unfortunately turn up there on a sunday afternoon and you not going to feel scared. You'll probably be sharing the spot with numerous families out for picnics, walkers, mountain bikers etc etc. Turn up there on a fine summer evening and you could be sharing the spot with langers, junkies, satanists and who knows what. Unfortunately this location isn't that far out from Dublin city centre, has public access and has amazing views over the city so the location does attract the hordes.

Head up there on a dark winters night and I suspect you'd be alone and crapping yourself.

If anybody has tips for locations that should be documented please do email me: info@AbandonedIreland.com

Hopefully Liffy is going to come up with his connections at Loftus - come on Liffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Thank you!!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

There are plenty of myths involved with the hellfire club, the most notorious story is the men sitting around playing poker, and one man accidentally drops his card, he leans down to discover that one of the men has hoofs instead of feet.

Its suppose to be the devil playing cards with them, and he burns them all. I don't believe in much paranormal activities, but what is the deal with the magic hill up past the hell fire at view point? I've been up there many times showing people how the car rolls up the hill when the engines off.

I've heard people saying its an illusion or the way the hill is shaped...:confused:

Wow thanks for those pictures they're excellent. The Magdalen Laundry building struck me as astonishingly beautiful in places, though obviously it was a place of suffering and grief for so many. I think you'd probably feel very different about the stunning architecture if you were actually there. Looks like the kind of place with an atmosphere. I wouldn't like to buy one of the developments planned for its site, I doubt the area has good energies and there must be a lot of graves, marked and unmarked, around the place.

The Hell Fire Club also looks cool. Pretty creepy at night I'd imagine. Willian Connolly seems to have left a real legacy of storytelling and creepy superstition around his buildings and monuments. I presume as owner of Castletown house he was the one responsible for the folly? Both places have tons of folklore and haunted stories surrounding them. The folly is a really weird place though, even in the day. Lots of rumours of satanists practising there, as there are in Castletown house. Connolly seems to have been quite a headonistic guy!

Hey Pookie

Conolly built the structure at the Hell Fire Club, but it was Richard Parsons who first established the Hell Fire Club. I will cut and paste the info that I researched for my website (There is some more info on my site on the Hell Fire Club further reading page)

To be honest the Magdalen Laundry Convent scares me, it is a beautiful place but I've been round the whole site a few times alone and I've had intensely bad feelings about the place. That combined with the bad experience I've had there - I believe it is not a good place. There is a graveyard in the convent (which is bizarre - I will look for a photograph I have to explain this) and there is also an overgrown area which I believe may contain unmarked graves.

I'm sure the Magdalene site will be developed at some point (planning applications have been made and modified this year) but there's no way I would live there. There is also another building in Cork at the former Our Ladys Hospital called St Anne's this was the Cork County Asylum and has a terribly distressing past (it's on my website) this building was developed into Atkins Hall but sales of the apartments have been dire and last I heard it was going to be used for social housing as nobody wants to live there. I believe the past will haunt these structures and it doesn't make for a happy home.

Hey Ross - I didn't know about the car rolling up the hill there! I will have to go back and check that one out!

:
    After Connolly's death in 1729, the Hunting Lodge remained unoccupied for a number of years until it was acquired by the infamous Hell Fire Club, from whom it got its name.

Hell-Fire clubs were established in the eighteenth century and became associated with outrageous behaviour and depravity. Richard Parsons, the first Earl of Rosse, established the Hell-Fire Club in Dublin in 1735. The president of the Hell Fire Club was named 'The King of Hell' and was dressed like Satan, with horns, wings and cloven hoofs. One custom was that of leaving the vice-chair unoccupied for the devil in whose honour the first toast was always drunk.

The Clubs became associated with excessive drinking. Scaltheen, a drink made from whiskey and butter was served in abundance during meetings of the Hell Fire Club. Malachi Horan, in the book, Malachi Horan Remembers, says how they always had scaltheen ready at the Jobstown Inn.

Current urban lore tells us that it was, and still is, a site commonly used for the practice of Satanism and other occult activities, and that the Devil himself made brief appearances at some unspecified times in the past.

One story tells us a mysterious stranger seeks shelter on a stormy night, and a card game ensues. A member of the household drops a card, and sees that below the table, the otherwise affable and charming visitor has a cloven hoof. His or her screams made the Devil 'aware of her discovery, and he at once vanished in a thunder-clap leaving a brimstone smell behind him'.

Another story mentions a priest, who stumbled across the club's fun'n'frolics late at night, and discovered that the centre of attention was a huge black cat. 'Breaking free from his captors the cleric grabbed the cat and uttered an exorcism which tore the beast apart. A demon shot up from its corpse. Hurtling through the roof it brought down the ceiling and scattered the assembly.'

Another story tells us that Conolly 'is said to have met the devil in the form of a "black man" in the lodge's dining room, which is probably a variation on the card-game story.

Another story about the club concerns a young Bohernabreena farmer, who curious to find out what went on at the meetings, climbed up Mount Pelier one night. He was found by the members of the Club, dragged into the building and allowed to see the nights' activities. He was found the next morning wandering around the area, unable to speak and tradition says he spent the rest of his life deaf and dumb, unable even to remember his name.

Fact:
    Richard Parsons, the first Earl of Rosse, who established the Hell-Fire Club in Dublin in 1735 was twice Grand Master Mason of Ireland, in 1725 and 1730.

• Advertisement

AI wrote: »
    To be honest the Magdalen Laundry Convent scares me, it is a beautiful place but I've been round the whole site a few times alone and I've had intensely bad feelings about the place. That combined with the bad experience I've had there - I believe it is not a good place. There is a graveyard in the convent (which is bizarre - I will look for a photograph I have to explain this) and there is also an overgrown area which I believe may contain unmarked graves.

You say "combined with the bad experience I've had there" - are you referring to the general bad feeling of the place or did something in particular happen to you there??
    Sorry if you've already talked about it, I don't get around to reading every thread on here.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

i put a link to my pics here ages ago but forgot to ask.. does anyone know why theres a statue of mary sitting down behind the house?

Clicky

Hey Pooks

As I said a while back I was setting up some photography gear in one of the darker rooms in the convent and I was totally freaked out by what sounded like voices rotating around the room. I went back in the same room with a buddy and they thought they felt their arms were being scratched under their jacket, we got out of there pretty quick I can tell ye! well next day my buddy had red marks from elbow to wrist! Another photographer was in that same room, it was a hot summer day and he said he felt a huge temperature drop – it was so cold that he put on a sweatshirt and a jacket, to begin with he thought it was some weird draft. Anyways he set up his camera on a tripod for a long exposure and he swears other people were in the room with him even though he was the only person in the whole complex. When I saw him he was really freaked out. I did eventually head back to that room with a friend (who closely watched my back) and I did make the photograph.. and guess what came out on the photograph??? ……. nothing special!

I found a pic of the graveyard, this photograph shows less than about a 1/4 of the graves here and sorry but it doesn't look too good now I've shrunk it for the web. Check out the names on the graves... EVERY SINGLE ONE reads 'HERE LIES SISTER MARY'!!!

GRAVES1.jpg

I think this graveyard will eventually be open to the public as it contains the grave of supposedly a child saint, the story is on my website under Magdalene convent-Little Nellie.

Tragamin – thanks for posting them pics. So you managed to get up close to the house and didn’t get shot at by the Loftus caretaker? lol

I'd still really like to get up to Loftus and get the place properly documented.

By the way I was in another really mad freaky place yesterday.. maybe the most intensely bad place yet.. too damn scary to head up the stairs alone so I will have to go back with a buddy. I will let ye know when I have the place fully covered.

Hey Pooks

As I said a while back I was setting up some photography gear in one of the darker rooms in the convent and I was totally freaked out by what sounded like voices rotating around the room. I went back in the same room with a buddy and they thought they felt their arms were being scratched under their jacket, we got out of there pretty quick I can tell ye! well next day my buddy had red marks from elbow to wrist! Another photographer was in that same room, it was a hot summer day and he said he felt a huge temperature drop – it was so cold that he put on a sweatshirt and a jacket, to begin with he thought it was some weird draft. Anyways he set up his camera on a tripod for a long exposure and he swears other people were in the room with him even though he was the only person in the whole complex. When I saw him he was really freaked out. I did eventually head back to that room with a friend (who closely watched my back) and I did make the photograph.. and guess what came out on the photograph??? ……. nothing special!

I found a pic of the graveyard, this photograph shows less than about a 1/4 of the graves here and sorry but it doesn't look too good now I've shrunk it for the web. Check out the names on the graves... EVERY SINGLE ONE reads 'HERE LIES SISTER MARY'!!!

GRAVES1.jpg

I think this graveyard will eventually be open to the public as it contains the grave of supposedly a child saint, the story is on my website under Magdalene convent-Little Nellie.

Tragamin – thanks for posting them pics. So you managed to get up close to the house and didn’t get shot at by the Loftus caretaker? lol

I'd still really like to get up to Loftus and get the place properly documented.

By the way I was in another really mad freaky place yesterday.. maybe the most intensely bad place yet.. too damn scary to head up the stairs alone so I will have to go back with a buddy. I will let ye know when I have the place fully covered.

Sorry, my bad, I got confused didn't realise that story was you. Holy crap that scratches thing is horrible. it must be insane though to have physical evidence of something like that happeneing to you. you didn't get any pics but at least you know your mate wasn't lying about what he felt!

Ya i read the story on your site about little nellie it's a funny one. I read about it before in a book somewhere. Didn't realise that that's where she was buried. The graveyard looks so weird with all the duplicated names on the headstones. Thanks for all that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

i put a link to my pics here ages ago but forgot to ask.. does anyone know why theres a statue of mary sitting down behind the house?

Clicky
    It was probably discarded some time after the nuns left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liffy

pookie82 - check out www.AbandonedIreland.com The Magdalene Laundry Convent photos are on there

I have also uploaded the Irish Hell Fire Club

Hell Fire Club - Read the information and check out the pics

The location is totally amazing, the structure is bizzare and fascinating.

Unfortunately turn up there on a sunday afternoon and you not going to feel scared. You'll probably be sharing the spot with numerous families out for picnics, walkers, mountain bikers etc etc. Turn up there on a fine summer evening and you could be sharing the spot with langers, junkies, satanists and who knows what. Unfortunately this location isn't that far out from Dublin city centre, has public access and has amazing views over the city so the location does attract the hordes.

Head up there on a dark winters night and I suspect you'd be alone and crapping yourself.

If anybody has tips for locations that should be documented please do email me: info@AbandonedIreland.com

Hopefully Liffy is going to come up with his connections at Loftus - come on Liffy!

Sorry for the slow response AI, i will email you tonight about Loftus - i have the caretakers mobile so i will try to something out for you if i can.
    And thanks for this info on Hellsfire Club, good stuff!

By the way i'm not a 'he' - i'm a 'she' - lol!;)

Clicky

I will find out if i can for you Trag, when did you take these pictures?

pookie82 wrote: »
    Wow thanks for those pictures they're excellent. The Magdalen Laundry building struck me as astonishingly beautiful in places, though obviously it was a place of suffering and grief for so many. I think you'd probably feel very different about the stunning architecture if you were actually there. Looks like the kind of place with an atmosphere. I wouldn't like to buy one of the developments planned for its site, I doubt the area has good energies and there must be a lot of graves, marked and unmarked, around the place.]quote

Isn't there a law or something where they can't build on old cemeteries? I know in America they have to disclose this now to buyers - about hauntings or buriel grounds.

Liffy wrote: »
    pookie82 wrote: »
    Wow thanks for those pictures they're excellent. The Magdalen Laundry building struck me as astonishingly beautiful in places, though obviously it was a place of suffering and grief for so many. I think you'd probably feel very different about the stunning architecture if you were actually there. Looks like the kind of place with an atmosphere. I wouldn't like to buy one of the developments planned for its site, I doubt the area has good energies and there must be a lot of graves, marked and unmarked, around the place.]quote

Isn't there a law or something where they can't build on old cemeteries? I know in America they have to disclose this now to buyers - about hauntings or buriel grounds.

I would imagine so, but in the instance of the laundries, I don't think that all of their "victims" were buried in marked graves. Many were found once the nuns sold the place to be developed and as far as I'm aware these were not marked or declared, and set the scandal surrounding the laundries in motion. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling there may be many graves which have been left unmarked. I'm sure no one would bury directly on a site where they knew there to be graves. But the place in general probably gives very creepy vibes and i wouldn't fancy living anywhere near it.

Oops sorry Liffy! lol

That's great about Loftus, if you manage to get the caretaker on your side then it would be amazing to get some good close up pics or even get inside the place. Drop me an email and lets get to work writing an article on Loftus if you’re interested.

By the way I can reciprocate the favour with a guided tour round the Cork Magdalene Convent if you’re around Cork anytime!

I was in photographing one seriously scary place last week - St Kevin's Asylum in Cork. Hopefully I'll get the article written tonight and upload it on AbandonedIreland within a day or two. St Kevin's is one seriously bad place, absolutely awful atmosphere, black and scary as hell. I think it has to rate as #1 for terribleness so far. It was condemned for the treatment of patients pretty much every year from something like 1940s through to when it was finally closed in the late 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loll106

i was just down there today, was inside the place when i was younger. a woman remaining nameless brought us on a tour, me my brother n my parents. it just seemed very sad, the fact that someone might live ther alone, at any stage. the place is massive n couldnt but seem empty. our tour was not planned, it was by chance. i will never forget it.

the building has being left to two nephews within the family of past owners. they have pulled all rights to its media circulation. there used to be a film, filmed inside, that has being taken off the market completly. the hall itself is surrounded by security cameras, even the gate has a warning message to tresspassers.

it will b awhile before
    loftus hall rests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

I will find out if i can for you Trag, when did you take these pictures?

About a year ago, around november ish last year id reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I just thought I'd add my own experience.

I met Mrs Deveraux in about 1997. The bar out back in the stables was still open then. I went in to explore, found no-one in the bar (either side of the counter), wandered around the grounds, peered between a couple of shutters (what I saw was still neat clean and tidy then).

I think I walked around a corner smack bang into Mrs Deveraux and her dogs, except I didn't know she was Mrs Deveraux then, she told me her first name, but I have forgotten it since...

...we hit it off you see, we had something in common, a fetish if you like...

We fall in love with houses.

She told me about the old days, the flowers she and her husband used to plant out front, the vegetables they grew in the great glasshouses long fallen in...and she told me about they way that she kept the house clean by trying to do a room every day, even though, if I remember rightly, there was no longer any electricity above the lower ground floor, where she lived. Even now, when all the flowers were gone, she tried to keep a few sprigs of fresh greenery in a vase in every room.

...and she told me about the decay that seemed to gain more ground and creep closer to the house every day.

I liked her.

It made me very sad to see that she is in a nursing home in the UK. I know she hoped to live out the last of her days in Loftus hall.

But even in a nursing home, she could no more sell that house than amputate her own hand!

She told me the old legend, but just as an old curiosity relating to an earlier house not as something she had experienced in any way (I think, unless my memory is playing tricks, she may have told me that the stable block or something was built on the foundations of the old house, NOT the new house itself, but I could be wrong). She was more interested in the house, her house, and how to hang on to it in spite of the odds. She always foiund the atmosphere pleasant and peaceful, and so did I, once you get over the bleak superficial appearance of the place.

If any ghosts haunt Loftus Hall, they are the ghosts of long dead dreams. The dreams of two people who loved the house as much as each other...he died too soon to realise them fully.

She didn't have time to show me the house, it was getting close to dark, she had dogs to feed, a bar to mind, and a minor flood in the basement to clear up...it would have been rude to try and persuade her...

...she would show me another day, when the light was better...we were both sure I would be back...

But I am very shy when I like people...and I never did go back...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jaysus, you talk like an english teacher :pac:

aare wrote: »
    I just thought I'd add my own experience.

I met Mrs Deveraux in about 1997. The bar out back in the stables was still open then. I went in to explore, found no-one in the bar (either side of the counter), wandered around the grounds, peered between a couple of shutters (what I saw was still neat clean and tidy then).

I think I walked around a corner smack bang into Mrs Deveraux and her dogs, except I didn't know she was Mrs Deveraux then, she told me her first name, but I have forgotten it since...

...we hit it off you see, we had something in common, a fetish if you like...

We fall in love with houses.

She told me about the old days, the flowers she and her husband used to plant out front, the vegetables they grew in the great glasshouses long fallen in...and she told me about they way that she kept the house clean by trying to do a room every day, even though, if I remember rightly, there was no longer any electricity above the lower ground floor, where she lived. Even now, when all the flowers were gone, she tried to keep a few sprigs of fresh greenery in a vase in every room.

...and she told me about the decay that seemed to gain more ground and creep closer to the house every day.

I liked her.

It made me very sad to see that she is in a nursing home in the UK. I know she hoped to live out the last of her days in Loftus hall.

But even in a nursing home, she could no more sell that house than amputate her own hand!

She told me the old legend, but just as an old curiosity relating to an earlier house not as something she had experienced in any way (I think, unless my memory is playing tricks, she may have told me that the stable block or something was built on the foundations of the old house, NOT the new house itself, but I could be wrong). She was more interested in the house, her house, and how to hang on to it in spite of the odds. She always foiund the atmosphere pleasant and peaceful, and so did I, once you get over the bleak superficial appearance of the place.

If any ghosts haunt Loftus Hall, they are the ghosts of long dead dreams. The dreams of two people who loved the house as much as each other...he died too soon to realise them fully.

She didn't have time to show me the house, it was getting close to dark, she had dogs to feed, a bar to mind, and a minor flood in the basement to clear up...it would have been rude to try and persuade her...

...she would show me another day, when the light was better...we were both sure I would be back...

But I am very shy when I like people...and I never did go back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Jaysus, you talk like an english teacher :pac:

..and denigrating this is important to you because?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fighting Irish, if you do not have anything pertinent to add, do not add anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tuttifruitti

Hi AI
    Ignoring comments of previous blonkers........:rolleyes:

Loftus Hall is indeed a strange place. I was down in wexford a few weeks ago at Hook....loftus hall is some spot all right. The old doll (local man wife who wanted to run it as a hotel) is in a Nursing Home in the UK. I have decided to try and put a little bit of the interesting history of teh place together.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathfarnham_Castle

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Ely#Tottenham.2FLoftus_family

I had seen it from the Waterford side a few times.....its a bleak spot.

The following story can hardly be called _legendary_, though it may
    certainly be termed ancestral. The writer's name is not given, but he is
    described as a rector and Rural Dean in the late Established Church of
    Ireland, and a Justice of the Peace for two counties. It has this added
    interest that it was told to Queen Victoria by the Marchioness of Ely.

"Loftus Hall, in County Wexford, was built on the site of a stronghold
    erected by Raymond, one of Strongbow's followers. His descendants
    forfeited it in 1641, and the property subsequently fell into the hands
    of the Loftus family, one of whom built the house and other buildings.
    About the middle of the eighteenth century, there lived at Loftus Hall
    Charles Tottenham, a member of the Irish Parliament, known to fame as
    'Tottenham and his Boots,' owing to his historic ride to the Irish
    capital in order to give the casting vote in a motion which saved £80,000
    to the Irish Treasury.

"The second son, Charles Tottenham, had two daughters, Elizabeth and
    Anne, to the latter of whom our story relates. He came to live at Loftus
    Hall, the old baronial residence of the family, with his second wife and
    the two above-mentioned daughters of his first wife. Loftus Hall was an
    old rambling mansion, with no pretence to beauty: passages that led
    nowhere, large dreary rooms, small closets, various unnecessary nooks and corners, panelled or wainscotted walls, and a _tapestry chamber_. Here resided at the time my story commences Charles Tottenham, his second wife and his daughter Anne: Elizabeth, his second daughter, having been married. The father was a cold austere man; the stepmother such as that unamiable relation is generally represented to be. What and how great the state of lonely solitude and depression of mind of poor Anne must have been in such a place, without neighbours or any home sympathy, may easily be imagined.

"One wet and stormy night, as they sat in the large drawing-room, they
    were startled by a loud knocking at the outer gate, a most surprising
    and unusual occurrence. Presently the servant announced that a young
    gentleman on horseback was there requesting lodging and shelter. He had
    lost his way, his horse was knocked up, and he had been guided by the
    only light which he had seen. The stranger was admitted and refreshed,
    and proved himself to be an agreeable companion and a finished
    gentleman--far too agreeable for the lone scion of the House of
    Tottenham, for a sad and mournful tale follows, and one whose strange
    results continued almost to the present day.

"Much mystery has involved the story at the present point, and in truth
    the matter was left in such silence and obscurity, that, but for the acts
    of her who was the chief sufferer in it through several generations,
    nothing would now be known. The fact, I believe, was--which was not
    unnatural under the circumstances--that this lonely girl formed a strong
    attachment to this gallant youth chance had brought to her door, which
    was warmly returned. The father, as was his stern nature, was obdurate,
    and the wife no solace to her as she was a step-mother. It is only an
    instance of the refrain of the old ballad, 'He loved, and he rode away';
    he had youth and friends, and stirring scenes, and soon forgot his
    passing attachment. Poor Anne's reason gave way.

"The fact is but too true, she became a confirmed maniac, and had to be
    confined for the rest of her life in the tapestried chamber before
    mentioned, and in which she died. A strange legend was at once invented
    to account for this calamity: it tells how the horseman proved such an
    agreeable acquisition that he was invited to remain some days, and made
    himself quite at home, and as they were now four in number whist was
    proposed in the evenings. The stranger, however, with Anne as his
    partner, invariably won every point; the old couple never had the
    smallest success. One night, when poor Anne was in great delight at
    winning so constantly, she dropped a ring on the floor, and, suddenly
    diving under the table to recover it, was terrified to see that her
    agreeable partner had an unmistakably cloven foot. Her screams made him aware of her discovery, and he at once vanished in a thunder-clap leaving a brimstone smell behind him. The poor girl never recovered from the shock, lapsed from one fit into another, and was carried to the tapestry room from which she never came forth alive.

"This story of his Satanic majesty got abroad, and many tales are told of
    how he continued to visit and disturb the house. The noises, the
    apparitions, and disturbances were innumerable, and greatly distressed
    old Charles Tottenham, his wife, and servants. It is said that they
    finally determined to call in the services of their parish priest, a
    Father Broders, who, armed with all the exorcisms of the Church,
    succeeded in confining the operations of the evil spirit to one room--the
    tapestry room.

"Here, then, we have traced from the date of the unhappy girl's
    misfortune that the house was disturbed by something supernatural,
    and that the family sought the aid of the parish priest to abate it, and
    further that the tapestry room was the scene of this visitation.

"But the matter was kept dark, all reference to poor Anne was avoided,
    and the belief was allowed to go abroad that it was Satan himself who
    disturbed the peace of the family. Her parents were ready to turn aside
    the keen edge of observation from her fate, preferring rather that it
    should be believed that they were haunted by the Devil, so that the story of her wrongs should sink into oblivion, and be classed as an old wives' tale of horns and hoofs. The harsh father and stepmother have long gone to the place appointed for all living. The Loftus branch of the family are in possession of the Hall. Yet poor Anne has kept her tapestried chamber by nearly the same means which compelled her parents to call in the aid of the parish priest so long ago.

"But to my tale: About the end of the last century my father was invited
    by Mrs. Tottenham to meet a large party at the Hall. He rode, as was then the custom in Ireland, with his pistols in his holsters. On arriving he
    found the house full, and Mrs. Tottenham apologised to him for being
    obliged to assign to him the tapestry chamber for the night, which,
    however, he gladly accepted, never having heard any of the stories
    connected with it.

"However, he had scarcely covered himself in the bed when suddenly
    something heavy leaped upon it, growling like a dog. The curtains were
    torn back, and the clothes stripped from the bed. Supposing that some of his companions were playing tricks, he called out that he would shoot
    them, and seizing a pistol he fired up the chimney, lest he should wound
    one of them. He then struck a light and searched the room diligently, but
    found no sign or mark of anyone, and the door locked as he had left it on
    retiring to rest. Next day he informed his hosts how he had been annoyed, but they could only say that they would not have put him in that room if they had had any other to offer him.

"Years passed on, when the Marquis of Ely went to the Hall to spend some time there. His valet was put to sleep in the tapestry chamber. In the middle of the night the whole family was aroused by his dreadful roars and screams, and he was found lying in another room in mortal terror.
    After some time he told them that, soon after he had lain himself down in bed, he was startled by the rattling of the curtains as they were torn
    back, and looking up he saw a tall lady by the bedside dressed in stiff
    brocaded silk; whereupon he rushed out of the room screaming with terror.

"Years afterwards I was brought by my father with the rest of the family to the Hall for the summer bathing. Attracted by the quaint look of the tapestry room, I at once chose it for my bedroom, being utterly ignorant of the stories connected with it. For some little time nothing out of the way happened. One night, however, I sat up much later than usual to finish an article in a magazine I was reading. The full moon was shining clearly in through two large windows, making all as clear as day. I was just about to get into bed, and, happening to glance towards the door, to my great surprise I saw it open quickly and noiselessly, and as quickly and noiselessly shut again, while the tall figure of a lady in a stiff
    dress passed slowly through the room to one of the curious closets
    already mentioned, which was in the opposite corner. I rubbed my eyes.
    Every possible explanation but the true one occurred to my mind, for the
    idea of a ghost did not for a moment enter my head. I quickly reasoned
    myself into a sound sleep and forgot the matter.

"The next night I again sat up late in my bedroom, preparing a gun and
    ammunition to go and shoot sea-birds early next morning, when the door
    again opened and shut in the same noiseless manner, and the same tall
    lady proceeded to cross the room quietly and deliberately as before
    towards the closet. I instantly rushed at her, and threw my right arm
    around her, exclaiming 'Ha! I have you now!' To my utter astonishment my arm passed through her and came with a thud against the bedpost, at which spot she then was. The figure quickened its pace, and as it passed the skirt of its dress lapped against the curtain and I marked distinctly the pattern of her gown--a stiff brocaded silk.

"The ghostly solution of the problem did not yet enter my mind. However, I told the story at breakfast next morning. My father, who had himself suffered from the lady's visit so long before, never said a word, and it passed as some folly of mine. So slight was the impression it made on me at the time that, though I slept many a night after in the room, I never thought of watching or looking out for anything.

"Years later I was again a guest at the Hall. The Marquis of Ely and his
    family, with a large retinue of servants, filled the house to
    overflowing. As I passed the housekeeper's room I heard the valet say:
    'What! I to sleep in the tapestry chamber? Never! I will leave my lord's
    service before I sleep there!' At once my former experience in that room
    flashed upon my mind. I had never thought of it during the interval, and
    was still utterly ignorant of Anne Tottenham: so when the housekeeper was gone I spoke to the valet and said, 'Tell me why you will not sleep in
    the tapestry room, as I have a particular reason for asking.' He said,
    'Is it possible that you do not know that Miss Tottenham passes through
    that room every night, and, dressed in a stiff flowered silk dress,
    enters the closet in the corner?' I replied that I had never heard a word
    of her till now, but that I had, a few years before, twice seen a figure
    exactly like what he had described, and passed my arm through her body.
    'Yes,' said he, 'that was Miss Tottenham, and, as is well known, she was
    confined--mad--in that room, and died there, and, they say, was buried in that closet.'

"Time wore on and another generation arose, another owner possessed the property--the grandson of my friend. In the year 185--, he being then a child came with his mother, the Marchioness of Ely, and his tutor, the Rev. Charles Dale, to the Hall for the bathing season. Mr. Dale was no imaginative person--a solid, steady, highly educated English clergyman, who had never even heard the name of Miss Tottenham. The tapestry room was his bed-chamber. One day in the late autumn of that year I received a letter from the uncle of the Marquis, saying, 'Do tell me what it was you saw long ago in the tapestry chamber, for something strange must have happened to the Rev. Charles Dale, as he came to breakfast quite mystified. Something very strange must have occurred, but he will not tell us, seems quite nervous, and, in short, is determined to give up his tutorship and return to England. Every year something mysterious has happened to any person who slept in that room, but they always kept it close. Mr. D----, a Wexford gentleman, slept there a short while ago. He had a splendid dressing-case, fitted with gold and silver articles, which he left carefully locked on his table at night; in the morning he found the whole of its contents scattered about the room.'

"Upon hearing this I determined to write to the Rev. Charles Dale, then
    Incumbent of a parish near Dover, telling him what had occurred to myself in the room, and that the evidence of supernatural appearances there were so strong and continued for several generations, that I was anxious to put them together, and I would consider it a great favour if he would tell me if anything had happened to him in the room, and of what nature. He then for the first time mentioned the matter, and from his letter now before me I make the following extracts:

"'For three weeks I experienced no inconvenience from the lady, but one
    night, just before we were about to leave, I had sat up very late. It was
    just one o'clock when I retired to my bedroom, a very beautiful moonlight night. I locked my door, and saw that the shutters were properly fastened, as I did every night. I had not lain myself down more than about five minutes before something jumped on the bed making a growling noise; the bed-clothes were pulled off though I strongly resisted thepull. I immediately sprang out of bed, lighted my candle, looked into the closet and under the bed, but saw nothing.'

"Mr. Dale goes on to say that he endeavoured to account for it in some
    such way as I had formerly done, having never up to that time heard one word of the lady and her doings in that room. He adds, 'I did not see the
    lady or hear any noise but the growling.'

"Here then is the written testimony of a beneficed English clergyman,
    occupying the responsible position of tutor to the young Marquis of Ely,
    a most sober-minded and unimpressionable man. He repeats in 1867 almost the very words of my father when detailing his experience in that room in 1790--a man of whose existence he had never been cognisant, and therefore utterly ignorant of Miss Tottenham's doings in that room nearly eighty years before.

"In the autumn of 1868 I was again in the locality, at Dunmore, on the
    opposite side of the Waterford Estuary. I went across to see the old
    place and what alterations Miss Tottenham had forced the proprietors to
    make in the tapestry chamber. I found that the closet into which the poor lady had always vanished was taken away, the room enlarged, and two additional windows put in: the old tapestry had gone and a billiard-table occupied the site of poor Anne's bed. I took the old housekeeper aside, and asked her to tell me how Miss Tottenham bore these changes in her apartment. She looked quite frightened and most anxious to avoid the question, but at length hurriedly replied, 'Oh, Master George! don't talk about her: last night she made a horrid noise knocking the billiard-balls about!'

"I have thus traced with strict accuracy this most real and true
    tale, from the days of 'Tottenham and his Boots' to those of his
    great-great-grandson. Loftus Hall has since been wholly rebuilt, but
    I have not heard whether poor Anne Tottenham has condescended to visit it, or is wholly banished at last."

Amazing place, a pity its closed, but at least it looks safe and water tight. Apparently a few "business men in caravans" (tryin to be PC) were very attracted to the lead flashing etc

Unlike Convent of Mercy Kinsale, I have a few bits I bought at auction there when it was closed down... my sister was a boarded there....if the walls could talk in that place..............some stories my sister tells........

Anyhow wrt to Hellfires Club.....Hell Fire Clubs main meeting in Ireland were in Vernon Mount House in Cork City.........The UCC colours black and red were courtesy of some of the clubs members!!!! The Skull and Crossbones were added by teh med faculty afterwards......

If anybody gets a chance its well worth a visit....

Another house of ill reput is Haversham House in Cork was the basis of Charles Dickens Great Expectations :confused:

Thank you AI for some great pictures, its a great credit to you when I am out on my travels I'll take photos of any interesting places/building/ruins I come across

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Great post Tuttifrutti, very informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

second .... great post

Great stuff Tuttifrutti

I didn't know that about Vernon Mount
    Whats the story around Haversham House?

Have sent you a PM!

By the way folks..

There's a ton of new stuff added to AbandonedIreland

check out the Clare Haunted House & Woodlawn, Galway
    well actually the whole website is all good.....

www.AbandonedIreland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessae86

bronte wrote: »
    I'd love to visit this place sometime, pics were great.
    The Devil story is a lot similar to one told about a place near to me , Castletown house. I wonder does it get told about a lot of places?
    Yes, the same story of the devil and the hooves is used alot, the same story was told about Rathfarnham Castle !!! Speaker William Connoly that used to own Castletown House in Celbridge Co. Kildare used to own Rathfarnham Castle before selling it to the Loftus Family!!!!!

Sure AI, i will inquire for you and share anything else here i find out. I don't see why they would object - but it's a long shot whether they would allow for a paranormal investigation too. Who knows - maybe in good time...
    I did this lame video, but when i go back soon, i will do a better one. This was prior to my meeting the caretaker who had spotted us in the field adjacent- which makes me guilty too of trespassing originally -and so that's how i met him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB0qcZYL5Cs
    Hi liffy, my name is jess and i am a huge fan of the house and others of its kind - Castle town house, carton house, rathfarnham castle - they amaze me and i cant stop looking for more and more information about them....Loftus hall in particular i am drawn to, i have a burning urge to know more about the place, i would give my left leg for just even a few minutes to look around inside.... as sum1 else said its the drinking thugs that ruin any chance for any1 else getting close or getting a look..... not everyone is the same, im happy to look and not touch !!!!! ...... is there anyway into the house at all ????? or is it completly boarded up ????

Has any1 been inside the main building of Loftus hall reciently or in the near past ??? Is there anyway of getting inside the hall ???? I would do anything to get inside even just for a few minutes..... The curiousity of what lies behind the boarded up windows and door is killing me.....

• Advertisement

dose any1 know who the current owner is ????? Who left the caretaker the one in charge ?????

Advertisement