Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some Dublin Bus News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Two more questions to ask you. Which new terminus will be deemed suitable for the 84 if it was to return to the City? With the Luas Cross City works going in the City Centre will there would be more difficulty in obtaining a new bus terminus for the 84 route? Is it possible for the 84 to be catered for at the current 84X terminus in Pearse Street?

For the possible new city terminus for the return of the 84 to the city,for me what I'd like to see is either, College Green (near the 84X terminus), Fleet Street (I would absolutely agree with as it would be easy to get in and get out in order to do a quick turnaround)

Burgh Quay: next door to the 61 is another possibility. or even Heuston Railway Station as it could then assist the 145 as far as Bray Main Street.

Merrion Square is no good as its too far away from the city centre.

It'll be interesting to see what actually happens here:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any updates from the notice boards in the garages?

Well, the 13 should be operated by SGs by C/Road once the garage receives its full allocation. Up to SG77 are in service, bar SG72, which appears to be in Ringsend. The 40 are expected to get SG81-85 and GT120-127. The 151 will retain GTs (22-31), while the 68/69 will revert back to EV operation. Well, knowing C/Road, things could get mixed up allocation-wise. The SGs have been getting around anyway.

Ringsend will be next up, and I suspect they'll be getting SG86-97. The 15 could well be converted to dual-door operation once these come in, and I guess Harristown will finish the conversion once they receive their SGs.

In terms of the 7, VTs are still on the cards, and the 46A is still expected to go dual-door. It's possible that VT1-20 will be for the 7, which makes me wonder about VT21-35. Anyway, that's really it at the moment, apart from what has been mentioned in other posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

For the possible new city terminus for the return of the 84 to the city,for me what I'd like to see is either, College Green (near the 84X terminus), Fleet Street (I would absolutely agree with as it would be easy to get in and get out in order to do a quick turnaround)

Burgh Quay: next door to the 61 is another possibility. or even Heuston Railway Station as it could then assist the 145 as far as Bray Main Street.

Merrion Square is no good as its too far away from the city centre.

It'll be interesting to see what actually happens here:cool:

Perhaps just run the 84 as far as Donnybrook running every half hour it would be handy as it could do a quick turnaround and its easy to get buses in and out of the depot passengers wishing to travel further into town could just change to a 145 or a 46a. As for the capacity problem on the bottom road I think it would a good idea to reintroduce the old 45 as peak time only service with a timetable similar timetable to the current 8. Run 5 or 6 buses either way between Bray Seafront and Mountjoy Square. With an addional inbound departure around school times to cater for schools.

Benefits of my proposed 45

· It would give Bray Seafront a bus service which is nearly better for Bray depot than the Dart station

· Provides extra capacity on the 145 between Bray Main St and Cabinteely

· Provides extra capacity along the 7 and 4 corridor between Blackrock and town

· Caters for Blackrock College, Sion Hill and St.Andrews which the current 84 does not

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Perhaps just run the 84 as far as Donnybrook running every half hour it would be handy as it could do a quick turnaround and its easy to get buses in and out of the depot passengers wishing to travel further into town could just change to a 145 or a 46a. As for the capacity problem on the bottom road I think it would a good idea to reintroduce the old 45 as peak time only service with a timetable similar timetable to the current 8. Run 5 or 6 buses either way between Bray Seafront and Mountjoy Square. With an addional inbound departure around school times to cater for schools.

Benefits of my proposed 45

· It would give Bray Seafront a bus service which is nearly better for Bray depot than the Dart station

· Provides extra capacity on the 145 between Bray Main St and Cabinteely

· Provides extra capacity along the 7 and 4 corridor between Blackrock and town

· Caters for Blackrock College, Sion Hill and St.Andrews which the current 84 does not

"Perhaps just run the 84 as far as Donnybrook"
    No because that, like Merrion Square is no good and I don't see the logic or the point. Try and bear in mind that, at present we already have numerous 46As and 145s going through Donnybrook so you'd only be duplicating what's already there.

Any future route 84 needs to go straight into the city centre. The 84X at peak times is usually packed. If the 84 does goes back into the city centre again, this would significantly help to reduce congestion on the 84X.

I think it would a good idea to reintroduce the old 45: That sounds like a great idea (but it would depend on the passenger numbers) still not a bad idea at all. Maybe it could do a variation of its old route with the diversion to cherrywood?

This would then leave the 84 free to go directly in and out of the city centre via its old routing. In terms of timetabling, it would probably need to be every hour (given the journey time between the city centre and bray and newcastle)

Ah well. We'll have to wait and see what happens!

"Perhaps just run the 84 as far as Donnybrook"
    No because that, like Merrion Square is no good and I don't see the logic or the point. Try and bear in mind that, at present we already have numerous 46As and 145s going through Donnybrook so you'd only be duplicating what's already there.

Any future route 84 needs to go straight into the city centre. The 84X at peak times is usually packed. If the 84 does goes back into the city centre again, this would significantly help to reduce congestion on the 84X.

Passengers wishing to travel to the city centre could change to a 46a, 145 or a 39a if they want to go further on into town, the advantage of terminating it in donnybrook is that it could easily do a turnaround and its right beside the garage it could easily run every half hour also it wouldn't congest the city centre with buses even more. If it terminates in donnybrook that means it wouldnt have to go via bray dart station to change drivers as changes would be done in donnybrook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Passengers wishing to travel to the city centre could change to a 46a, 145 or a 39a if they want to go further on into town, the advantage of terminating it in donnybrook is that it could easily do a turnaround and its right beside the garage it could easily run every half hour also it wouldn't congest the city centre with buses even more. If it terminates in donnybrook that means it wouldnt have to go via bray dart station to change drivers as changes would be done in donnybrook.

They may actually be doing this for 1 main reason as to refuel buses that are out in Bray.

Running a service to Vincents and run to garage and back.

The machines have already been updated and are all set at vincents been last/first stop so I was told.

Is it true there are more single deckers coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Run frequent 84's direct from Brides Glen Luas to Bray Station. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Run frequent 84's direct from Brides Glen Luas to Bray Station. Problem solved.

Duplicating the already frequent and often faster than LUAS 145?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lxflyer wrote:
    Duplicating the already frequent and often faster than LUAS 145?

Doesn't actually go to either the Luas or the Dart though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Doesn't actually go to either the Luas or the Dart though.

And how many people are coming off the DART from south of Bray that require such a service? Not enough to warrant a "frequent 84 service" I would suggest.

There's already a Finnegans service from Bray Station to Sandyford LUAS.

lxflyer wrote: »
    And how many people are coming off the DART from south of Bray that require such a service? Not enough to warrant a "frequent 84 service" I would suggest.

There's already a Finnegans service from Bray Station to Sandyford LUAS.

A frequent DB from Bray Station to Brides Glen will give a far better connection to Sandyford and Dundrum than an infrequent private route.

By the way, the online presence for Finnegans describes the route but doesn't give any indication of times. Odd.

http://www.finnegan-bray.ie/southern-cross-route

A simple solution for the 84 is to run it between newcastle and bray station half hourly passengers wishing to travel further can use the 145 or the dart integraft the ticketing on the leap card so passengers won't have to pay twice. Make a proper 145 timetable and use an asterix to denote whick services are met by an 84.

A simple solution for the 84 is to run it between newcastle and bray station half hourly passengers wishing to travel further can use the 145 or the dart integraft the ticketing on the leap card so passengers won't have to pay twice. Make a proper 145 timetable and use an asterix to denote whick services are met by an 84.

So divert the 145 to serve Bray Station and Brides Glen, because unless that happens, what you suggest offers poor connectivity between North Wicklow and Sandyford and Dundrum.

So divert the 145 to serve Bray Station and Brides Glen, because unless that happens, what you suggest offers poor connectivity between North Wicklow and Sandyford and Dundrum.

Nope passengers could change on Bray Main Street while the 84 will down to the train station and terminate oh no the cherrywood diversion will be withdrawn obviously.

A frequent DB from Bray Station to Brides Glen will give a far better connection to Sandyford and Dundrum than an infrequent private route.

By the way, the online presence for Finnegans describes the route but doesn't give any indication of times. Odd.

http://www.finnegan-bray.ie/southern-cross-route

The timetables are available on the NTA Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie

Timetables for both of Finnegan's Bray local routes (routes 143 (Southern Cross-Sandyford) and 144 (Southern Cross-Bray Station)) are attached.

Let's try and use some common sense here.

The 145 is the core high frequency bus route along the N11 QBC. Its primary functions are

1) To provide a fast direct link between the city centre and Bray along the N11 QBC
    2) To provide a connection from Heuston Station to the south city CBD
    3) To provide a frequent local service between Bray town centre and Ballywaltrim

Diverting it anywhere off the QBC is not going to happen either at Bray or Cherrywood.

The only services that are going to be re-routed are local services such as the 84. I really don't see the 84 operating at a higher frequency that it is already. Between it and the 84a there is a fairly decent service between Bray and Cherrywood/Blackrock in the morning peak, and it's half hourly in the afternoon.

Anyone travelling from Bray or DART stations south of Dun Laoghaire can connect with route 75 to get to either Sandyford or Dundrum as it is, operating every 30 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 ticklemetoe

2 companies have "won" the tenders, one will take all north side routes and one all the south side routes.
    the db drivers strike has thrown a spanner in the works, the 2 new companies with the blessing of nta where going to pay minium wage, that is the now the hold up to the companies taken on these routes.

Swiftway, dublin bus have the contract until 2019, but not much is happening.

84 is based in bray depot, with the 184 and 185 going it looks like those buses in bray depot used on these routes will not be going back to donnybrook, maybe a increase on 84 service or base the 84x in bray.

2 companies have "won" the tenders, one will take all north side routes and one all the south side routes.
    the db drivers strike has thrown a spanner in the works, the 2 new companies with the blessing of nta where going to pay minium wage, that is the now the hold up to the companies taken on these routes.

Could you name which companies won them. I can't really see anybody willing to drive a bus for the minimum wage when you could do something like working in supermarket an easier job for the same wage.

I can't really see anybody willing to drive a bus for the minimum wage when you could do something like working in supermarket an easier job for the same wage.

the head of nta said as much in interview during the strike.
    something like "drivers have to accept they will be working for minimum wage", it was like red rag to bull, unions dug in heels and that was that.

• Advertisement

Could you name which companies won them.
    big RUMOR, eddie stobart.
    they have lost the tesco contract and might be interested in bus work.

big RUMOR, eddie stobart.
    they have lost the tesco contract and might be interested in bus work.

God whats next stobart spaceships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

The Stobart Group own 45% of Stobart Air (previously Aer Arann).

They own London Southend Airport also.

VG31 wrote: »
    The Stobart Group own 45% of Stobart Air (previously Aer Arann).

They own London Southend Airport also.

And they do rail freight in the uk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the head of nta said as much in interview during the strike.
    something like "drivers have to accept they will be working for minimum wage", it was like red rag to bull, unions dug in heels and that was that.

Good. The NTA would rather splurge 115m on 320 new buses at 300,000-400,000 a bus and expand the fleet that will drive themselves, I take it. 280 expensive buses or so of them that are just replacing buses that could have still done the job.

The timetables are available on the NTA Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie

Timetables for both of Finnegan's Bray local routes (routes 143 (Southern Cross-Sandyford) and 144 (Southern Cross-Bray Station)) are attached.

Let's try and use some common sense here.

The 145 is the core high frequency bus route along the N11 QBC. Its primary functions are

1) To provide a fast direct link between the city centre and Bray along the N11 QBC
    2) To provide a connection from Heuston Station to the south city CBD
    3) To provide a frequent local service between Bray town centre and Ballywaltrim

Diverting it anywhere off the QBC is not going to happen either at Bray or Cherrywood.

The only services that are going to be re-routed are local services such as the 84. I really don't see the 84 operating at a higher frequency that it is already. Between it and the 84a there is a fairly decent service between Bray and Cherrywood/Blackrock in the morning peak, and it's half hourly in the afternoon.

Anyone travelling from Bray or DART stations south of Dun Laoghaire can connect with route 75 to get to either Sandyford or Dundrum as it is, operating every 30 minutes.

Actual Greystones residents disagree.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057452019/1/#post96002379

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭crushproof

Could you name which companies won them. I can't really see anybody willing to drive a bus for the minimum wage when you could do something like working in supermarket an easier job for the same wage.

Considering he jobs situation at the lower end of the market I imagine hundreds would jump at the opportunity. Yes, it's a bloody disgrace that the wage could be that low but that's the capitalist free market economy for you - drive down wages and increase profits for the fat cats.
    At least it results in experience and a chance of being hired by DB/BE in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Bear in mind the tender hasn't been awarded so that is completely untrue.

They disagree with which part of my post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Between it and the 84a there is a fairly decent service between Bray and Cherrywood/Blackrock in the morning peak, and it's half hourly in the afternoon.

South of Bray, the service is far from decent (hourly in the afternoon). The 84 should be treated as a local route, similar to the 184, primarily serving North Wicklow, and not as a slapdash method of filling gaps left by cuts elsewhere.

Advertisement