Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TUF 21: American Top Team vs Blackzilians

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is pretty sh*t so far to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

My only surprise is that we haven't heard Dana tell us it is the best season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

My only surprise is that we haven't heard Dana tell us it is the best season yet.

I'm suprised that he hasn't really mentioned that the two gym owners don't get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is pretty sh*t so far to be honest

This. So much so that in the 2nd episode i just fast forward to the fight. A plan i intend to keep up until the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's beginning to head that way for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I am done with this rubbish. It is a weekly show with nitpicking children. I'll be back for the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm in fastforward mode now. Fights only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That mounted guillotine looked tight! One thing I've noticed is, in my opinion, how poor the advice coming from the ATT corner is during the rounds. Screaming "Get up!" to your fighter is **** all use- they know they have to get up. Surely some constructive advice on how to get up would be more beneficial, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Enjoyed the latest episode. Seeing Lambert's face as ATT went 3-0 down made it :pac:

You can see how the narrative is shaping up though. In the "next time on The Ultimate Fighter" at the end of the show they said an emergency might throw ATT's comeback off the rails (paraphrasing, but it was something similar). I'm sure it will end up bringing them closer together blah blah blah and they'll start pulling it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

They should rename ATT douche training cos it seems you have to be a bit of a prick to join that gym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

MagicIRL wrote: »
    . Screaming "Get up!" to your fighter is **** all use- they know they have to get up.?

I always think of rampage on tuf when I hear that as that's all he said also iirc
    He even made shamrocks coaching look good if that was possible
    don't often get those kind of rivalries anymore which I miss

mc gregor mendes in a year or two maybe would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Had that 2 rounds to 1 for the loser, anyone else?

Naos wrote: »
    Had that 2 rounds to 1 for the loser, anyone else?

I thought the decision was correct, but admittedly if it had gone the other way I wouldn't have been all that surprised.

I think the takedown and connecting a lot with the jab in the final round is what swung it in Banks' favour.

Anyone else noting that the logos blurred out on clothing?
    I get the whole reebok sponsorship means they can't show other brands, but it was an ATT gym logo that I noticed blurred out.

Mellor wrote: »
    Anyone else noting that the logos blurred out on clothing?
    I get the whole reebok sponsorship means they can't show other brands, but it was an ATT gym logo that I noticed blurred out.
    ATT is probably considered a brand so either they aren't allowed show it under advertising rules or they've chosen not to show it since they're not being paid for the privilege...I would imagine.

ATT is probably considered a brand so either they aren't allowed show it under advertising rules or they've chosen not to show it since they're not being paid for the privilege...I would imagine.
    It's not really a brand selling to the public, but that might make sense if it was a different gym/brand, maybe.
    But the series name has even has "ATT" in it, the voice over mentions ATT, the intro credits have it, and its filmed at ATT, etc etc. In fact, when the logo was blurred out on his shirt, he was sitting in front of a big ATT logo on the wall which wasn't blurred.

Just found it very strange. especially when the you cant actually read the tshirt logo at that scale and blurring it makes if no harder to recognaise.

Mellor wrote: »
    In fact, when the logo was blurred out on his shirt, he was sitting in front of a big ATT logo on the wall which wasn't blurred.
    Well that, I cannot even try to explain.

You know there's going to be a quick KO when they drag the shite out showing the days leading up to the fight. I thought they were going to give us every day of the week in 15 minute intervals at one stage!

That Haydar lad has some power but looked awfully wild. A solid technical striker would tear up apart. Also, someone needs to have a word with him about looking in to the camera and not keeping his held titled up. He'll end up stuck that way! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Another meh fight to be honest, I don't bother with the rest of the episode at this stage. Too much dancing around each other in a lot of these fights. The fighters are going in with a do not lose attitude, rather than pushing for the win.

Jackson looks OK, solid take-down defense and good jab. Needs to mix it up a bit more though. Only his 7th fight and he's young, be interesting to see his progression.

Agree with MagicIRL, Hayder seems to be one of those fighters who relies a lot on their power, he was throwing bombs from the off. Would like to see how he fairs against a more well rounded opponent.

Oh and Dan Lambert is rather unlikable fellow, I'm rooting for the blackzillians solely because of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Pretty bad season imo, think I'm done with the episode and I'll just skip to the fights. Thought this weeks fight was bad, amazing how so many of them are just going through the motions, haven't seen anyone yet that will make any sort of impact in the ufc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Its awful. What promised to be a decent series too, but the standard is brutal. Not one good fight yet, and not just entertaining, fighters seem to be very poor. No well rounded fighters at all and all seem to just focus on one particular skill set.

Was expecting both to have decent guys but Its been a letdown sadly. I'll watch the next normal one because Artem Lobov will be on it but the series is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

haydar was a breath of fresh air and up till then I was rooting for the blackzillians mainly because of dan lambert
    hopefully there's a couple of good fighters to come as none of which we've seen so far will have any future in the ufc
    goes without saying it's has been dire yet it promised so much

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I watched all 7 episodes this morning (I had a slow day yeah?).... wow all the fights sucked hard. Every single one of the episodes apart from the one where the guy did his cut wrong and seized, have consisted entirely of the coaches/teammates going on and on about how great their next fighter is and then cut to the guy getting beat by a laughable bad opponent.

You can see Dana White thinking "you are SINKING my franchise" :)

He should do Asians versus Eastern Europeans because they seem to be the most likely to fight. (except that Grillo guy... he's taken one too many punches imho lol)

They should revamp TUF where fans vote online to make the match-ups and run the show on a weekly basis similar to your X Factor etc. Liven things up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

They should revamp TUF where fans vote online to make the match-ups and run the show on a weekly basis similar to your X Factor etc. Liven things up a little.

Oh Jaysus delete that post or Simon cowell will be all over your idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Cant see them ever doing a 'live' season again. When they did that for their first year on fox the fighters were going insane being in the house that long.

Having online votes wouldn't shake things up too much as you don't really care about most of the fighters on a given season so why would you want to vote after the ones you care about have fought? It would probably lead to the best guys fighting the best guys in the first round and then mismatches the rest of the way.

I think one of the basic problems is that the UFC has now gotten so big that there just isnt the talent in the States that isn't signed up.

A problem specifically for this season is that with the fighters own coaches being there they're more likely not to get drawn in to push to be exciting like they would be in the Vegas gym and Dana screaming at them.

Comeback season 2 badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Comeback season 2 badly needed

What division are you thinking? Presume you're talking about another title shot I'm guessing it would have to be one of the shallower ones.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What division are you thinking? Presume you're talking about another title shot I'm guessing it would have to be one of the shallower ones.

No need for a title shot. That's unfair I think. Maybe bump the winner into the top 5 rankings and 100k prize money. I'd say welterweight

Advertisement