Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

80's sweets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

I used to love He-man bars and Smiley bars. Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I recently started working for a food wholesale company and was surprised to see so many '80's' sweets still for sale !

E.g. -

Dan Bar
    Wham Bar
    Roy Of The Rovers Bar
    Catch

......not to mention the dozens of varieties of 'sweets in a jar' for sale !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Silvera, where does one find 80s sweets in bulk? The diet can be put off for a little longer. . . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

he man bars
    care bare bars
    big time bars
    kalypso bars
    fizzy cola lollys 9if ya got a number 7 you got a free one)
    macaroon
    topic

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Silvera wrote:
    E.g. -

Dan Bar
    Wham Bar
    Roy Of The Rovers Bar
    Catch
    The dentist always told my mom to keep me away from all those types of sweets oh but how good the forbidden highland toffee bar tasted... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I lost a fillinf on one of those Highland Toffee bars. Even that didn't stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

does anyone remember batman penny marshmellow thingies

i think the spongy bit was banana but the hard jelly was certainly blackcurrant.

God those was fantastic. have not seen them in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

what about Ghostbuster bars with Slimer at one end and an evil ghost at the other with green and red goo on the inside. Also had carebear bars the same way.
    Then there's the favorites- Fruit Salads, Black Jack, Postman Pats, Apple Jacks. The days of the 10 penny bags! The False Teeth and Fried Egg sweets, White mice, Cola Bottles, Macaroon Bars, Stinger bars, Red shoe laces, Flogs, Nerds, Dweebs, Dib-dabs :D !!!!!, the toffee lollipops that when you opened the wraper, if it had a 3 on it, you got another one free! Sherbet Dips, Push-pops,... (i know some of them were 90's sweets but hey!)

Jaysus, I don't think I ate proper food when I was younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

then there were the icepops - Fat Frogs and Freaky foots, sparklers and milky moos. im sure you can still get them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Little Goose

This thread is making me hungry!!

Anyone remember 54321 bars?? Oh, and those almost flat rectangular chocolate wafers? I can't remember the name!!! They came in a pack of 6 I think.. Blue paper wrapping with silver foil underneath. If you melted the chocolate underneath the top wafer it would come off easily and there would be some sort or writing underneath.. Damn, can anyone remember the name? I'll be up all night wondering!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr B..

Does anyone remember the jelly motorbike sweets? Can you still get them anywhere??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Chewy Colas
    Smiley Bars
    Lazer Bars
    Honeybee Bars
    Big Time Bars
    And Touch Down Bars

Anyone remember that Nestle Secret bar?? Was in a gold wrapper and came in a paper tray underneath, the bar had cream inside like a walnut whip... Anybody??

http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/assets/raw-1188561644.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

This thread could almost be considered retro.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I saw Refreshers and Curly Wurly bars in my local Spar. I nearly wet myself with glee!:D

(just spotted the dates, this thread is 4 years old!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Magic stuff... all of the above mentioned sweets are part of the essential food groups when you're a child :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Its` a wonder that we have any teeth left at all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magic8

Fizzle sticks.
    fizzy cola lollys 9if ya got a number 7 you got a free one)
    They were great, it's a wonder I have any teeth left ...
    Larianne wrote: »
    then there were the icepops - Fat Frogs and Freaky foots, sparklers and milky moos. im sure you can still get them all.
    Remember JR ice pops? Orange & blackcurrant flavour.
    Oh, and those almost flat rectangular chocolate wafers? I can't remember the name!!! They came in a pack of 6 I think.. Blue paper wrapping with silver foil underneath. If you melted the chocolate underneath the top wafer it would come off easily and there would be some sort or writing underneath.. Damn, can anyone remember the name? I'll be up all night wondering!!
    I remember them! Can't remember what they were called though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 only1mickie

Luke G wrote: »
    Anyone remember that Nestle Secret bar?? Was in a gold wrapper and came in a paper tray underneath, the bar had cream inside like a walnut whip... Anybody??

http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/assets/raw-1188561644.jpg

There,s petition happening now to get the secret bars back like what was happening to the wispa bars...

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bring-back-nestle-secret-bars.html

Guys Please sign the petition!

Nice to munch into those bars again for good time sake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Eating paper!! It's being sold again and it's as yum as ever.

Time bars, soon as the braces come off I'm chowin down one one. Used to hold it for a while so one end would be meltier and easier to chew.

My favourite sweet website http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/ you'll find loadsa goodies from the olden days on it.

I remember at one stage in the 80s there was a yellow duck, was rock hard and covered in sugar and there was a plastic ring on the bottom to hold it but they soon dissapeared no idea where I got them from they were flippin lovely.

Anyone remember when Feast ice cream came out, remember biting into it and thought I was biting into the stick but it turned out, to my joy, to be a thick layer of chocolate.

Toffee lollypops and the cola ones, still available thank goodness.

Coloured popcorn, double dip and those marshmallow type dolphins.

There was also a drink in the shape of a pyramid called a wigwam.
    Mr Freeze ice pops strawberry and cola flavours were the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

go to iwantoneofthose.com theres a retro sweet hamper thing you can get. its in sterling
    its a super cool site!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember the coloured popcorn, I hated it but everyone I knew loved it. Yeah the Secret bars were feckin' lovely!!!! I was eating about 3 a day..back in the day when I didn't have to watch the waistline. The outside of it consisted of crumbly little 'lines' of chocolate all wrapped around the soft whipped centre. Gold wrapper with purple writing with the little cardboard tray that Bounties used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bighammerfan

hi. what was the retro 80's sweet that was a long bit of fudge rolled i peanuts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

Terrys Pyramint mmmmmmmmmmmmmmyummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Anyone remember 54321 bars?? Oh, and those almost flat rectangular chocolate wafers? I can't remember the name!!! They came in a pack of 6 I think.. Blue paper wrapping with silver foil underneath. If you melted the chocolate underneath the top wafer it would come off easily and there would be some sort or writing underneath.. Damn, can anyone remember the name? I'll be up all night wondering!!

I think they were called Panky... they had sweet, cheap chocolate stuff between the wafer layers! Mmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

hi. what was the retro 80's sweet that was a long bit of fudge rolled i peanuts ?

That sounds like a bar I remember called 'Nutty'. It was in a transparent orangy coloured wrapper...loads of peanuts stuck to fudgy stuff...mmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bighammerfan

Ann22 wrote: »
    That sounds like a bar I remember called 'Nutty'. It was in a transparent orangy coloured wrapper...loads of peanuts stuck to fudgy stuff...mmmm!
    WOW i think you are right :) I cant find any pictures of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mackerlee

Oh my god they are called planky bars... i thought i was going mad... everyone i asked about them cant remember them ... they were so good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The best ones imo were rainbow drops (cheap small bags or rice pops in diff colous) and postman pat penny sweets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Marathon bars, its a pity you can't get them any more. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Marathon bars, its a pity you can't get them any more. :mad:

Were they not just renamed to Snickers?

Advertisement