Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer restarting itself in middle of game

Options
  • 24-01-2009 2:43am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum or not so mod please move if it is........basically I built a new computer back in september.Recently I have been playing red alert 3 and twice this week while in the middle of a game my computer has restarted itself :confused: can anyone tell me why it did this?or give me a reason as to why you think this may have happened?its has never happened before this and its only happened with red alert 3.........any advice would be great

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I remember this happened to me a couple of years ago with 'Neverwinter Nights'

Turns out it was my graphics card. Replaced it and it worked fine from then on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so you think it could be my graphics card?i have a gtx 260 i cant really afford to buy a new one :-/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Had a similar problem before. I hadn't affixed the CPU fan on correctly so the CPU would overheat under strain and as a built in safety precaution in my bios the computer would automatically shut down once it reached a certain temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Does sound like overheating - most likely gfx card as cpu overheating would probably cause shutdown sooner . Have a bit of a clean up inside the case . Clear fans and heatsinks , maybe add a case fan or two if there's room .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sounds like overheating as the others have said.

Make sure your case is free of dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,628 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheating either from dust buildup our you did a poor job of applying thermal paste to your CPU's heat sink. Im assuming the latter. You are only meant to use a very small amount of thermal paste and apply it evenly over the contact surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Open your side panel and turn on the game, see if the GPU heatsink fan is working. It probably isn't. No need to get a new gfx card, just get a new 3rd party heatsink.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Overheal wrote: »
    Overheating either from dust buildup our you did a poor job of applying thermal paste to your CPU's heat sink. Im assuming the latter. You are only meant to use a very small amount of thermal paste and apply it evenly over the contact surface.

well you see my brother built it for me so i dont think he even put thermal paste on it :s

well you see my brother built it for me so i dont think he even put thermal paste on it :s
    Only one way to tell: Shut down, unplug, and get down there and remove the heatsink from the CPU. Have Paste ready. Theres probably either going to be none, or far too much. You will want to clean the surface completely of old paste before putting on a new application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thielfer

it doesn't have to be an overheating, anyway it's one of common reasons of resetting system during the game
    if you have hi-end card or one of the neweggs you must understand that most of that kind of problems is caused by drivers
    even approved by nvidia/whql driver final versions are still like poor betas
    I have gf9600gt and all drivers since 175 till now 18x.xx are damn bad
    I use 174 now as they are good for most of the games that are released now
    of course it's regarding DX9 not DX10 as it's still in testing state
    try to revert drivers as they may not fit system properly
    with your card you have to expect that drivers won't work with some software and they still develop it...

• Advertisement

If it werent an amateur build I might have thought otherwise too - but suspect #1 is thermal paste - I've seen too many botched builds. Flatmate of mine destroyed his CPU trying to run Crysis on full settings... whole tube of paste caked on top of the damned thing. Smelled awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Only get a 3rd party heatsink if youre not wanting your warranty, which I presume is valid as the GTX 260 is only out a few months.

Advertisement