Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

What's the cost of buying/fitting a cam?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

simit wrote: »
    What's the cost of buying/fitting a cam?

You can buy a decent one from eBay for €30-40. They simply plug into the cigarette lighter and start recording when you start the engine and stop when you turn it off.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=dash+camera

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think car manufacturers should start putting these in cars themselves

I'd be much more in favour of making them put bluetooth in as standard. Much more important safety feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230699400186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got this one a couple weeks back, Took about 3 weeks to deliver. Got a card off memoryC €30 all in. Cant fault it so far, handy piece of kit.
    Nissandoc has the same one for longer than me so he could give a better review ;)

I Can post examples of its output if needs be.

Got the same one.. been sitting up in the parents house for the past few days but will get it over the weekend..
    Interested in seeing can it be broken down and integrate the lens into the back of my mirror and hide the rest away in the glovebox...:confused:

But from what nissandoctor and other have said it will do the job either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Yep, An add a circuit in addition to this makes live alot easier and avoids the use of those awful vampire taps. chuck into a switched fuse and bolt the earth to a ground somewhere on the chassis and your sorted.

I, However have to be awkward..I've a few accessories in the car so I've a live and aux fuse box wired in .. the switched one is a (BUSS) from the states.

Here's a picture while I was testing the current and untidied!

Its quite cheap to setup but overkill for most people..costs about €30 for relay, wiring, boxes, etc.

Heres is the wiring diagram..not or the faint-hearted but I'm no mechanic and managed to put it all together: :cool:

Best of luck :cool:

Sorted this today, I bought a 3 plug power socket and soldered it into the rear of the ligher socket then mounted the sockets into the glovebox and ran the wires for the camera and sat nav up through the dash and A pillar.

Now there are no visible wires and its all much neater.

DSCF3157.jpg
    DSCF3155.jpg
    DSCF3159.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Sorted this today, I bought a 3 plug power socket and soldered it into the rear of the ligher socket then mounted the sockets into the glovebox and ran the wires for the camera and sat nav up through the dash and A pillar.

Now there are no visible wires and its all much neater.

That works as well ;) It was actually how I had my first dashcam wired up (seperate camera/dvr/mic) back in 2008..never had a problem with it and more importantly its neat and out of sight.

DSCF3157.jpg

Whats the scanner for? Haven't seen one of them in yonks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just thought I'd share what I use. Daily roads voyager with my SE xperia. Records in 720.

BX 19 wrote: »

Just thought I'd share what I use. Daily roads voyager with my SE xperia. Records in 720.

jaysus what a muppet @0:33 :eek:...seems a regular one in dash cam vids here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thought I'd pop this up.

Not one, but two drivers ignored the markings approaching the roundabout leaving Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (1st exit = outside lane, 2nd & 3rd exits = inside lane) and plough right through, almost into me.

Some might argue that at least they're using the correct rule for most roundabouts, but I expect drivers to be more awake and notice what way the roundabout works.

Enjoy AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top if you wanna Rock & Roll" in the background, and try to ignore me mumbling "prick" and "idiot" at the drivers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

jaysus what a muppet @0:33 :eek:...seems a regular one in dash cam vids here.

Yep he was a bit silly, I stuck the hazards on in case of someone behind me. Traffic was light enough, he was lucky he didnt go down that way at 8 in the morning when its bumper to bumper :D

Thought I'd pop this up.

Not one, but two drivers ignored the markings approaching the roundabout leaving Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (1st exit = outside lane, 2nd & 3rd exits = inside lane) and plough right through, almost into me.

Some might argue that at least they're using the correct rule for most roundabouts, but I expect drivers to be more awake and notice what way the roundabout works.
    :)

There is several coming into dundrum from the M50 that have odd lane markings that everyone seems to ignore. Lazy ignorant people :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

BX 19 wrote: »

Nice of you to stop !! Was that last week ? Think I passed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Thought I'd pop this up.

Enjoy AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top if you wanna Rock & Roll" in the background, and try to ignore me mumbling "prick" and "idiot" at the drivers :)

I know he/she could have kept more left.
    But there are no lane markings on the roundabout?????? Its almost like bad design or misfeasance.??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

ligertigon wrote: »
    Thought I'd pop this up.

I know he/she could have kept more left.
    But there are no lane markings on the roundabout?????? Its almost like bad design or misfeasance.??

It's a ****e design for a roundabout, and I don't know why it can't go by the same rules as a normal one.

Still no excuse though.

That works as well ;) It was actually how I had my first dashcam wired up (seperate camera/dvr/mic) back in 2008..never had a problem with it and more importantly its neat and out of sight.

Whats the scanner for? Haven't seen one of them in yonks! :)

Yup, and there is still a spare socket for charging my phone in the glovebox too.

The scanner is for my other interest in much larger machines:)

@bx19 and Jimmybottlehead, how have you got your camera's mounted? Seems to be a lot of vibration? That's something I expected with mine but the mount is rock solid.

Yup, and there is still a spare socket for charging my phone in the glovebox too.

The scanner is for my other interest in much larger machines:)

Plane spotter? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

That first video makes my blood boil, the ****ing cheek of the tramp getting out of the X5, waving her arms around. If it happened to me I don't think I'd have pointed out to the camera to pair of *****, play dumb, call the guards and wait for them to arrive before bringing it to their attention.

Going to invest in one of these myself after seeing all the videos in this thread, recall an incident like this happening to a member here too but not sure what the outcome was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    That first video makes my blood boil, the ****ing cheek of the tramp getting out of the X5, waving her arms around. If it happened to me I don't think I'd have pointed out to the camera to pair of *****, play dumb, call the guards and wait for them to arrive before bringing it to their attention.

Going to invest in one of these myself after seeing all the videos in this thread, recall an incident like this happening to a member here too but not sure what the outcome was.
    He was never to be seen again........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I've watched that 3 times and am baffled by what happened. :D

Looks to me that both of you were in the wrong lane (the car infront), but I cant make out the road layout well.

I've watched that 3 times and am baffled by what happened. :D

Looks to me that both of you were in the wrong lane (the car infront), but I cant make out the road layout well.

The lane I and the superb ahead are in is signposted/arrowed for M50 north and/or city center/ballymun.

The lane the 307 is in is for M50 north only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Still baffled why the 307 has to turn left despite his lane continuing on, a lane which you have to cut across to take the same exit.

Surely it would make more sense for the 307 lane to be left or straight on, and your lane is straight on only? Video must make it look weird, no doubt you are correct, just doesn't look right!

Still baffled why the 307 has to turn left despite his lane continuing on, a lane which you have to cut across to take the same exit.

Surely it would make more sense for the 307 lane to be left or straight on, and your lane is straight on only? Video must make it look weird, no doubt you are correct, just doesn't look right!

Longer version here....shows roundabout/lanes much clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJfUNB61S6E

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have a DRS1100 fitted to each van and with all I see, I wouldn't be without one, they are definitely worth the investment.

The DRS1100 is by Xdriven and I believe is rebranded as a Roadhawk in the UK. It records on a continuous loop and saves segments if there is a shock to the car or if you press the record button. These segments won't be recorded over. It also has GPS, speed, shock readings and information.

The quality is decent but could be better, I know there's 1080 recorders out there etc, but I won't be upgrading mine until there's a 1080 or close to it model like the DRS1100 with the true blackbox features. The fact you have it constantly plugged in and don't have to worry about turning it on each time is invaluable itself. I know if I had to manually turn it on or connect it, I'd probably forget a lot but with this, as soon as I turn the engine on, it starts recording.

I gave the following footage to the Gardai recently after it was requested and was thanked after giving it in to them. I just had to make a statement saying it wasn't edited in any way etc and they thought it was a great idea to have. They have similar fitted to the ANPR set up in some cars.

As you can see, the quality is ok, but could be better, it's a bit tricky to make out the cyclist who gets hit, but it would be sufficient for most incidents, especially with the likes of fraud cases.

(Best to go onto youtube itself and watch in 720p)

To be fair to the couple in the original video, it seemed like a mistake by the woman. It looked like they wanted to park in that space on the right and already had their indicator on, she only saw the space after passing the bus and had to reverse a bit to get into it but reversed without seeing the guy behind and immediately put the blame on him. The man with her didn't seem to put the blame on him so much as she did. Whatever the intention, it definitely shows he's not to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Longer version here....shows roundabout/lanes much clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJfUNB61S6E

To be honest I still cant see what the 307 did wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Celtxx wrote: »
    To be honest I still cant see what the 307 did wrong here.
    The left lane is for turning lef tonly. The right lane is for left or straight through. I know it goes against the norm and in their defence it may have been too late to change lanes when the saw the raod markings.

tobsey wrote: »
    . I know it goes against the norm and in their defence it may have been too late to change lanes when the saw the raod markings.

That doesnt excuse just blindly pulling across someone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

looks to me that nissan doc was in wrong lane, in fact both cars seem to be in the wrong lanes

dharn wrote: »
    looks to me that nissan doc was in wrong lane, in fact both cars seem to be in the wrong lanes

Might look that way but he's already explained that the road markings say he's in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

dharn wrote: »

Know that roundabout well. Doc is right. Pug is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Whoever designed that lane layout is wrong if thats the case.

Edit: Looking at it again I still dont see any lane markings to indicate that the left lane is for left turn only at that junction. In fact the last markings I see in the left lane before the turn seem to indicate you can go straight or right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement