Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Football (i.e. Soccer) South Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Yeah I know but I assume it's not as easy as just turning up and I'm on the team.

Do teams like these have the patience with players who are not up to scratch? Do they mind people training with them? Is it more of a social club where it's not overly competitive when it comes to getting a game?

I used to play as a kid and you'd have to be good to at least get picked.

How does senior teams differ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Fart wrote: »
    Yeah I know but I assume it's not as easy as just turning up and I'm on the team.

Do teams like these have the patience with players who are not up to scratch? Do they mind people training with them? Is it more of a social club where it's not overly competitive when it comes to getting a game?

I used to play as a kid and you'd have to be good to at least get picked.

How does senior teams differ?

The quality of senior teams varies hugely and I mean hugely compared to playing schoolboy football even. You'd regularly see matches on the pitches beside one another where one match is full of fat lads in their 30's and 40's huffing and puffing beside another full of people who look like they should be in the Olympics.

The trick is to find a team that suits your standard. Generally you'll find senior football a lot more welcoming than playing as a kid or teenager ever was. People are generally playing to keep fit/social aspect/sheer enjoyment rather than the competiveness you find at younger ages.

Now that's not to say there's not teams with competition, there definately are teams like that in the Leinster Senior League if that's your thing-Wayside, Dalkey etc. But there's lot's of social/relaxed teams out there as well, I actually think there's a boards team based in Dundrum from what I remember :D.

Orwell in Rathgar and Railway Union in Sandymount and Brighton Celtic in Cornelscourt were three others that didn't take themselves too seriously from what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Just upping this as I am looking for a club in south dublin to join, preferably D6, have looked at Orwell, Park Vale and Terenure FC. Is there any other clubs in the area I should be aware off? Also, when does the normal league season start?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

http://www.seafordrock.com/index1.html

based off Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock.

Advertisement