Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

belcarra wrote: »
    I no longer wait for the Garmin to find satellites, instead I just head off immediately. I was usually wasting 3-5mins for the thing to register so anymore I check the route when I upload and add in in the title of the run the extra bit at the start where it failed to register/record..

I had delays and for a while it wouldn't start clocking distance for .08 of a mile everytime until I downloaded a software update and it's spot on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8.46 in about 50 minutes

Club session tonight - the old reliable hills
    About 2k warmup, jogging up to the hill opposite the Speaker Connolly, then 3 x 1 mile laps. Each lap is 100m flat, up the hill, down the other side, round the back, up the hill a different way, down the side, round the other side, one last time up and over, and finishing with 100m on the flat. It's a tough little session.
    First lap was 6.03, second was 6.11, third was 6 even I think, but messed up the lap recording :o
    Then about 2k cooldown, back to pick up the kid from his training

this month: 27/306.07
    this year: 87/914.42

8.78 in 49.13 (5.36 pace)

Recovery slog into work with bag

this month: 28/314.85
    this year: 88/923.2

9.62 in 42.30 (4.25 pace)

Club session tonight, 2x20 minute tempos. Took things easy tonight with the race on Saturday. First interval was about 4.30 pace - maybe half-marathon pace? Second interval was 4.10-4.15 - maybe 10 mile pace? Forgot to start a new lap before my warmdown, so don't have the exact pace any more.

this month: 29/324.47
    this year: 89/932.82

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Which race do you have? Do you have a goal time?

• Advertisement

Saturday is a BHAA 4 mile race, I'll be aiming for under 25 minutes

BHAA is an athletics association in the Dublin area. As I understand it, it started about 30 years ago with a bunch of runners in one workplace challenging a bunch of runners in another workplace. Today there are about 25 races in the BHAA calendar, all organised by different workplaces - Saturday's is runners from Dublin City Council, there's a race in May organised by RTE (state radio and television), others by banks or insurance companies. They're kind of low-key - they don't really advertise, you hear about the races from your club (or forums like this), they do the important things right but there are no frills, and they stick to the traditional mix of cross-country in winter, track in summer, road in between. So they're smaller than most other races I do, but the average standard is higher.

8.76 in 48.32 (5.32 pace)

Usual recovery run into work, no bag this time.

this month: 30/333.23
    this year: 90/941.58

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

RayCun wrote: »
    Saturday is a BHAA 4 mile race, I'll be aiming for under 25 minutes

Have a similar target myself - hopefully see you at the finish line at 11.54!:)

BHAA 4 mile in Raheny
    Garmin time 24.50, 24.44 chip time

Off to de nortside for the first race in the summer league. Lovely day for it - bright, but not too warm, barely any breeze, and a very flat course. Bumped into ecoli and a couple of runners from Bros Pearse during the warmup, and watched some of the women's 2-mile race finish, before changing my watch to miles and lining up for the start.
    Started a few rows back from the front, seemed to be about the right place because I wasn't held up much at the beginning, and by the time we reached the first corner. Went off a bit fast, and I noticed I was overstriding after a few hundred metres, so tried to get my stride length back and my cadence up. First mile was still fast, 5.55.
    Not far past the 1 mile mark and who comes cruising past but Chinguetti, with his damnably fresh legs :) He opened up a gap of 2/3 metres immediately, but but I kept him to that through the next mile (my slowest, at 6.21) Back past the start line, and Chinguetti is a little further ahead, maybe 4/5 metres, but I'm still close enough that he can't see me when he turns a corner ;) Some more mini-races going on too, with C pulling away from his little group and the 2/3 guys around me closing the gap on them, and trying to pull away from each other.
    Mile 3 went by in 6.15, and I was starting to get a bit worried about my 25 minute target. When we got out onto the road I was able to time C's lead over me - 10 seconds, not good - but I was more focussed on the people around me, all trying to break away from the mini-pack that had formed.
    Down to the last corner, and this time when Chinguetti looked back he could see me - curses :pac: Built up a bit of speed on the downhill to the corner, and gave it socks on that (too long!) final stretch. Dropped the group I'd been with, but some other guy caught up on the straight and I just couldn't match his sprint.
    Still, made my target time - and an automatic PB for my first 4 mile race.

11.23 total, with the warmup and cooldown run. Then back to the car, to get a text from Mr Slow wishing me a good race, just before I drove home (living up to your username there ;):))

this month: 31/344.46
    this year: 91/952.81

Month|2010|2011|2012
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79
    March|53.2|121.83|214
    April|72|106.33|
    May|75.9|107.13|
    June|90.2|64.85|
    July|118.1|126.92|
    August|124.4|168|
    September|154|171.75|
    October|108.7|191.2|
    November|58.4|128.9|
    December|83|166.58|
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|

First 200m+ month, 2 PBs, lots of running... nice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

First 200m+ month, 2 PBs, lots of running... nice :cool:

Yes, very nice! And congrats on the super race today. Well done!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Sure i was hoping you'ld have a chat when i bumped into you at the 1 mark but you didn't seem keen:D. I knew you were near enough as every time we went round a bend, there was no sign of you. Caught you at the last bend and was thinking you might catch me.

Got ahead of my group about 100 yards before the finish and could hear the charge after me. I think there was about 6 finished over a few seconds and didn't want to get passed whatever happened.

Good going Ray, something to aim at for another 4 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice result. 1st bhaa race for me. Very impressed.

Track session

In the mood for something different this morning, so I went up to Tallaght track, got ecoli to sign me in. Few laps warmup, bit of core work, then 5 x 60m sprints, with 4/5 minutes recovery on each. While i was working away, tunguska, woddle, and menoscemo came up for their sessions, and for a laugh we finished up with a 400m race. Only timed off our watches so I won't be putting it in the Big 10 challenge, but a good run, and I reckon I could save a few seconds with some track spikes instead of my old marathon shoes.
    Jogged back home afterwards, for a total distance of 6.81km.

this year: 92/959.62

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Track session

In the mood for something different this morning, so I went up to Tallaght track, got ecoli to sign me in. Few laps warmup, bit of core work, then 5 x 60m sprints, with 4/5 minutes recovery on each. While i was working away, tunguska, woddle, and menoscemo came up for their sessions, and for a laugh we finished up with a 400m race. Only timed off our watches so I won't be putting it in the Big 10 challenge, but a good run, and I reckon I could save a few seconds with some track spikes instead of my old marathon shoes.

:confused::confused::confused:

April fools??? or has have I managed to clone myself, woddle and tunguska and be in two places at once? (Me in corkagh Park with RR, Woddle in Berlin, and tunguska in PP)

Can I still claim this for the 1000 mile challenge in terms of mileage :D

and meno running the ultra in Connemara.

Unless... some people dressed up as you guys in full body suits :eek: Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for April Fools day:confused:

16.55 in 85.42 (5.11 pace)

Easy run home from work. Calves felt a bit tight in the first few k, and was a little tired towards the end, but generally uneventful.

this month: 2/23.36
    this year: 93/976.17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Track session

What?:confused:

Who won the race btw?:D

I'll race you at the graded meets if you want....

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll race you at the graded meets if you want....

I would do anything for club, but I won't do that;)

Nah, seriously, I don't know if I will be doing the graded meets. I might be roped into it, or I might escape :)
    BHAA? 800m, mile, 3k, 2 mile...?

8.73 in 50.04 (5.44 pace)

Very easy run into work, because I'll be training with the club this evening.

this month: 3/32.09
    this year: 94/984.9

8.13 in 34.33 (4.15 pace)

What the hell kind of weather was that?:eek:
    Club session tonight,
    660m warmup
    320m
    640m
    940m
    650m
    310m
    660 warmdown

Between the tired legs and THE ****ING HAILSTONES the pace was nothing to boast about, I was just glad to get done, get home, and get into the shower...

this month: 3/40.22
    this year: 94/993.03

• Advertisement

11.63 in 57.32 (4.57 pace)

A few days off, and what better way to spend them than jogging around Tymon park in the freezing cold? 'Easy' pace, but I was working a bit harder than that with the wind, and some tiredness in my legs. Broke the first 1000 this year anyway.

this month: 4/51.85
    this year: 95/1004.66

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

11.63 in 57.32 (4.57 pace)

A few days off, and what better way to spend them than jogging around Tymon park in the freezing cold? 'Easy' pace, but I was working a bit harder than that with the wind, and some tiredness in my legs. Broke the first 1000 this year anyway.

this month: 4/51.85
    this year: 95/1004.66

Doesn't count when it's in new money.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fancy meeting up for a run tomorrow or Friday if you're off?

Hmm, I'm kind of at the mercy of the OH for times, maybe about 9am tomorrow in Marlay?

Hmm, I'm kind of at the mercy of the OH for times, maybe about 9am tomorrow in Marlay?

perfect or if you prefer running elsewhere let me know.

Woddle wrote: »
    perfect or if you prefer running elsewhere let me know.

No, that's grand, meet you at the car park by the house for 9? Maybe do one lap of Marlay then start heading back towards Walkinstown/Tymon direction...

No, that's grand, meet you at the car park by the house for 9? Maybe do one lap of Marlay then start heading back towards Walkinstown/Tymon direction...

Great, see you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

PM sent:D

19.98 in 1.43.59 (5.12 pace)

Up to Marlay for a few miles with Woddle and a chat about coaching, then back home to let the OH get out to the gym. I'm losing touch with these longer runs - I fall into a pace like today's very easily, but the last few kms today were getting harder - I should have been a bit slower from the start. (Though I suppose I did need to start at this pace to meet woddle in time)

this month: 5/71.83
    this year: 96/1024.64

• Advertisement

10.16 in 51.38 (5.05 pace)

Easy run today, up to Tymon for a lap and then home. Feeling a bit tired today, so decided to take my rest day tomorrow instead of Sunday. Then when I was almost home I landed heavily stepping off a kerb and my knee seized up :eek: Was able to run home the rest of the way, but then could barely get up the stairs. Luckily a couple of hours later and it's flexing normally, and I can walk again. Will definitely be taking that easy day tomorrow though...

this month: 6/81.99
    this year: 97/1034.8

Advertisement