Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fence Paint

• 26-07-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

So my neighbour decided to pressure wash the paint from his fence and it seems most of it has settled on my car :mad::mad: I've just washed the car and tried using the G3 clay mitt to no avail.

Anyone any suggestions as to what to use to remove it? Would a tar remover be up to the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bennyx_o wrote: »
    So my neighbour decided to pressure wash the paint from his fence and it seems most of it has settled on my car :mad::mad: I've just washed the car and tried using the G3 clay mitt to no avail.

Anyone any suggestions as to what to use to remove it? Would a tar remover be up to the job?

Have you told your neighbor (or his house insurance company :-) )
    Would have thought your neighbour could have used something like T-cut ? But I'm open to correction ( probably depends on your car paint type)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Any pictures?

Only consolation is that its not fresh paint splashed on the car....when I started to read the post, I feared he might have used spray fence paint that drifted on the wind.

Shouldn't be too difficult to remove....surprised that the claying didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Some pics:

2014-07-26220858_zpsb5d9670a.jpg

2014-07-26220915_zps932cab8c.jpg

Jezz...that looks pretty bad!

Like as if he had been painting the fence. Or washed it while the paint was still wet.
    I was expecting flakes of paint.

If claying hasnt worked, then a light polishing by machine, should. You will probably need to do two passes. First to remove the fence paint and a light 2nd pass to leave the paint in tip top condition.

You got access to a DA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I have a DAS6, yea. Bit wary of using it with that much paint on it incase it causes more damage. I'll probably give the clay mitt another go tomorrow and see how much that can remove

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My mechanic recently used some solvent to remove paint from my car, wasn't as bad as that, but worked a charm and the car paint itself was fine. I can ask him if you want?

Wouldn't be too concerned using the DA. Hence saying you moght need two passes. First pass will remove the spots but may also leave slight marks in doing so. Hence saying it will nedd the 2nd light pass to re-correct the area.

Try the clay again, if no joy, try a small area with tar remover...failing that; a small area, doing the removal of the splashes and what is needed to return the paintwork to pre-splashes condition.

Alternatively, if your neighbours are decent, explain the situation, and try get some compensation. ...even if its for your own time or products purchased.

Advertisement