Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gent-Wevelgem 2015 (contains spoilers)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I see that GT was trying his hand at the new craze that is cyclo-fly! Some wind out there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Managed to avoid the result and watched this before going to bed last night. Fantastic race - I have rarely seen a group of riders so individually and collectively bollixed. I don't agree that the main reason Etixx lost was tactical failure. Paolini was the only one left with any legs and, despite his playacting, was well able to cover any moves. Terpstra and Vandebergh had very little left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Christ that looked like a hard day in the saddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Managed to avoid the result and watched this before going to bed last night. Fantastic race - I have rarely seen a group of riders so individually and collectively bollixed. I don't agree that the main reason Etixx lost was tactical failure. Paolini was the only one left with any legs and, despite his playacting, was well able to cover any moves. Terpstra and Vandebergh had very little left.

I think Geriant was perhaps the strongest, he shut down everything by himself pretty much and still had legs at the end, they just gifted it to Paolini with their messing and to be fair to Geriant he had to call Etixx bluff like he did, but Paolini's attack was perfectly timed. I agree the Etixx pair looked bolloxed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Great finish. Some man Paolini and well deserved especially after breaking his nuts last week for kristoff. Was one of the etixx lads in the final group think it was steinbar. Looked like a feckin giant compared to the rest of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I agree, 2 men in the break is no good when they're wrecked. They tried a couple of counter punch attacks, exactly the way they should have, but neither had the legs to get a gap going.

You know it's a hard day when Terpstra has no legs at the end.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

neris wrote: »
    Great finish. Some man Paolini and well deserved especially after breaking his nuts last week for kristoff. Was one of the etixx lads in the final group think it was steinbar. Looked like a feckin giant compared to the rest of them

Stijn 'dont touch my stuff' Vandenberg
    6ft 6in Belgian Flahute
    Former Tour of Ireland Winner (2007)
    Savage rider
    Maybe not the sharpest tool at times...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looking at some photos from yesterday. A lot of the riders look like they have no bike computers. Did they all fall off in the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

think you're spot on there. if you look at cosmo catalanos video, Paolini had his wits about him especially when Terpstra got back on after his puncture near the end. fresh mind is sign of someone still with energy and he seemed to be conserving his better than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Stijn 'dont touch my stuff' Vandenberg
    6ft 6in Belgian Flahute
    Former Tour of Ireland Winner (2007)
    Savage rider
    Maybe not the sharpest tool at times...

the poor man doesn't get much praise from his boss either.
    “We had Stijn in front but he never won a race [Vandenbergh won a stage and the overall in the Tour of Ireland in 2007]. In the next group we had Trentin, Stybar, Terpstra and Nikolas [Maes]. With Stijn we were chanceless. With Terpstra in the group our situation improved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

That's two races the SVDB has scupper end for QuickStep in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

ROK ON wrote: »
    That's two races the SVDB has scupper end for QuickStep in a month.

That's abit hard...at least he was there ...where were the others who are so great then...His boss is an oaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

MPFG wrote: »
    That's abit hard...at least he was there ...where were the others who are so great then...His boss is an oaf

I never said he was weak - he attacked his own men in two races this year
    Omloop and yesterday. The guys that he attacked have the credibility to win. In my opinion he doesn't - he is a strong rider and can be a good Domestique but not good enough to win - he seems to be the only one who doesn't know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

ROK ON wrote: »
    I never said he was weak - he attacked his own men in two races this year
    Omloop and yesterday. The guys that he attacked have the credibility to win. In my opinion he doesn't - he is a strong rider and can be a good Domestique but not good enough to win - he seems to be the only one who doesn't know this.

He is liable to win Roubaix, in spite of Lefevre more or less saying he is fairly brainless. I wouldnt begrudge him it to him actually, though he would need a lot of trouble behind him to scupper the others. It could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

JK.BMC wrote: »
    He is liable to win Roubaix, in spite of Lefevre more or less saying he is fairly brainless. I wouldnt begrudge him it to him actually, though he would need a lot of trouble behind him to scupper the others. It could happen.

I can see Van Marke being in good shape for this. He has been very close in Strade Bianche and now Ghent. Building nicely for either Flanders or Roubaix. Him or Terpstra to take these next two monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

tumblr_nm23ioMWWs1qbw072o1_500.gif

All your gif needs: http://cyclocosm.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^^ I did something similar after crashing in the lucan gp a few years ago when i realised my frame was broken

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I like this one. The two bikes just floating off down the river. The lad in the red lotto helmet looks about 70 though

SPTDW3019-660x440.jpg

Advertisement