Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

• 26-01-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

http://www.clickonline.com/games/wii-u-to-hit-stores-in-time-for-christmas/6126/
    It's the most wonderful time of the year, unless you're a parent.
    Nintendo is set to cause retail workers and parents alike more stress at Christmas time as it is expected that the Wii U will be launched by the end of 2012. Originally it was stated that the console would hit certain markets no earlier than 2012, but it is expected to be released across the board in time for the festive season. After revealing its third quarter 2012 financial results Nintendo’s President, Satoru Iwata, said that the Wii U would hit key markets for the year end.

The Wii U is set to be re-revealed at E3 this summer and speculation is rife as to the console’s true power and specifications. These details, along with key launch titles, are expected to be unveiled at the summer showcase. Rumours currently suggest that the console will produce visuals on a par with the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.

So it'll be here this year... Im looking forward to it and what developers do with the touch screen...

I am NOT looking forward to the influx of Zelda and Mario games though.

When will U be getting the WiiU? 313 votes

Day 1 purchase for me!
    0% 0 votes
    Going to wait 6 months they get it
    23% 75 votes
    Giving it a year and see whats out for it.
    14% 44 votes
    Not getting one as it stands.
    18% 57 votes
    Waiting to see what is shown at E3.
    37% 118 votes
    Atari ST
    6% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,449 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hope they learnt from previous mistakes and have a great range of launch titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Korvanica wrote: »
    http://www.clickonline.com/games/wii-u-to-hit-stores-in-time-for-christmas/6126/

So it'll be here this year... Im looking forward to it and what developers do with the touch screen...

Really? More of a pet & cooking simulation gamer are you? :D

I really hope Nintendo get back to their roots, less teddy bears please!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's never really been an 'influx' of Zelda games IMHO? The Wii got two, one at the start of it's life (a converted Gamecube one at that) and one at the end of it's lifespan. Gamecube got 1 at the start, and pretty much nobody got Twilight Princess on the Gamecube at the end (because of the superior port across onto the Wii). N64 got two, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. SNES got one, Link to the Past, and NES got two.

Considering you're looking at a 25 year spread across those, it's hardly an influx of them.

(Discounted the handheld games, as this isn't a handheld)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Xmas present for myself sorted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Motivator+-+Theres+the+Door.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you don't like Mario or Zelda games, what is the point in getting hte console? Based on their form for the last 2 gens almost everything else is going to be a poor cousin port of an ancient JRPG, Ubisoft shovelware or a cut-down shadow of what you'd get on a "real" console.

I'm praying they get the handheld/console integration right this time after all the promises of Wii / DS linkups that never really happened. Nothing short of playing games on the 3DS using the WiiU's hardware so I don't need 2 TVs will do! Not making the mistake of jumping in on launch day this time though. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop and fundamental changes to the fancy-pants controlersole thing 6 months after release.

I still don't understand why they're trying yet another revolutionary controller interface when they haven't yet perfected the last one (I refer of course to the Donkey Konga bongos. There have to be more games that could be controlled by bongos, surely!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

New Nintendo console launch....wow i'm feeling old :P
    Remember both gamecube and wii launches. When buying my gamecube i was given a colour choice between the purple and black models...choose purple as it was the standard in the advertising and everything :roll eyes:

Hoping for 3DS/Wii U eShop integration with sharing purchases between them for most platforms on the virtual console. And with Nintendo releasing the likes of Pullblox on the 3DS eShop, hopefully a pretty sweet lineup there.

And the third party lineup looks like it'd be pretty good for launch as well, hope Nintendo release something though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

What are you looking forward to then?

I can't see myself getting this at release really. I hope it isn't over-priced at release like the 3DS was, which affected sales badly. Then again, for what we're promised I can see this retailing at €349, if not more

Fingers crossed the remote/touch screen thing won't be a mess. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Hi guys, I'm a first time poster in this forum.

I think that we will see this hit store earlier than Christmas. Did you see the third quarter report? It's much worse than expected. I reckon that Nintendo will be put under pressure to to complete this sooner than later.

Link

Link

Nervosa wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm a first time poster in this forum.

I think that we will see this hit store earlier than Christmas. Did you see the third quarter report? It's much worse than expected. I reckon that Nintendo will be put under pressure to to complete this sooner than later.

Link

Link

"by end of year" = before christmas...probaly november at the latest.
    they probably won't release worldwide at exactly the same time, what with the rumoured Nintendo Network setup and all....starting late august or september i'd say, japan, then the US, then EU, and finally Australia.

Someone at retro posted something like "crunch time will be fun this year!" (got a DVD box set of some series or something) so hopefully they'll have whatever they're working on ready for launch or soon after :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

38.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTl-qwuvGrw

Nintendo are putting this functionality into the Wii U controller.
    RFID. :(

Nobody else has picked up on this yet.
    It's not just for paying for things, Iwata gives the example of it working to read cards and figurines.(think spyro, only without any cables)
    Already by now, the Wii U is known for its new controller with a screen, among other features. For this controller, please be advised that we have decided to install a NFC function.

As many of you know, NFC is the acronym for Near Field Communication, which is a set of standards to establish radio communication in close proximity. The NFC I’m referring to here is the noncontact NFC standard that is compatible with FeliCa and MIFARE, and is expected to be widely used around the world in the near future.

By installing this functionality, it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data via noncontact NFC and to expand the new play format in the video game world. Adoption of this functionality will enable various other possibilities such as using it as a means of making micropayments.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    38.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTl-qwuvGrw

Nintendo are putting this functionality into the Wii U controller.
    RFID. :(

Nobody else has picked up on this yet.
    It's not just for paying for things, Iwata gives the example of it working to read cards and figurines.(think spyro, only without any cables)

God almighty, suppose any hopes of a more balanced or hardcore direction I had are fading. Looks like they're gearing up for a lot more cuddly games.

EnterNow wrote: »
    God almighty, suppose any hopes of a more balanced or hardcore direction I had are fading. Looks like they're gearing up for a lot more cuddly games.

I think you mean Pokémon...

I think you mean Pokémon...

Nah sure that's put Atavan Halen out of a job :D

Joking aside, I suppose they're covering their bases by being able to support the likes of Skylanders etc etc. I'm just hopeful that there's a nice balance & appeal to all genre's of gaming. I know the Wii had some great mature games, but they're heavily, heavily outweighed by the complete library of shovelware and games like "Poppy The Penguin 2 - Uncle Orca"

Here's to a return to roots for Nintendo :)

EnterNow wrote: »

Where do you get that idea?
    The main use of it seems to be intended to have people use their no-contact bank cards to buy games online securely.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Where do you get that idea?
    The main use of it seems to be intended to have people use their no-contact bank cards to buy games online securely.

inline-play-with-friends.png

It's an expensive & convoluted way to process payments if that's the case. Adding expense to the console that isn't needed

Some sort of Pokemon game with NFC would single handedly cancel out nintendo's recent losses :pac:

Heck it means if/when Skylanders gets a sequel, there'll be no portal required for the Wii U version, making it cheaper.
    Payment using NFC will likely be useful for Japan but not so much over here....Interested to see what other uses Nintendo might come up with though.

http://wiiugo.com/the-wii-u-controller-features-near-field-communication-technology/
    Here's the first article I've seen about it.
    IGN and co will probably start picking up on it now and we might get some more details about it. :3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just interested to see who will be getting the Wii U when it launches this year? It is ment to be out everywhere by the end of this year. A price of €300 is bounching around the net and launch window of October'ish.

I think I will be getting it on launch day (whenever that is), I got the 3DS two months after launch, I know there wasnt many good games at the time but still happy I get it in the launch window and got my 20 free nes and gba games.

But Ninty (I think) have learnt that they need better launch games (NSMBmii anyone? :rolleyes:) to get people interested. Hopefully we see a good line up for launch.

So who's getting one at launch and who's going to wait 6 months or 12 months or not getting one at all?

EDIT: Also, what games would you like to see at the launch, keep in mind that Zelda 'HD' wont happen for a few years.

Looking forward to NSMBmii, Darksiders 2 wonder what they will do with the touchpad/controller. Really wanna see RE6 on the WiiU but doubt it will be there at launch.
    Maybe Super Mario Galaxy 3, Metroid. There will be ports but they will be of games only out a little while, which I'm cool with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,383 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Definitely won't be buying it at launch. The 3DS has turned me off launch consoles for many years to come!

(Not that I don't love my 3DS, I do. But there really was bugger all to play on it for almost a year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭iceferg

For me it's all about the launch titles.
    I like Nintendo , but i dont like everything the do .
    some game's like pikmin on animal crossing dont do it for me.
    If there is a Starfox or Metroid , i will buy it at launch.
    Im really looking forward to E3 .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think I'm going to give it 6 months before deciding, tbh. I hope Nintendo have learned from the 3DS that you can't launch well without some compelling titles. I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,449 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Waiting to see E3 before deciding. Realistically if the launch titles are good, I'll pick one up before Christmas.

100% won't be buying on launch. After waiting about a year to get some half decent games for the 3DS, it's a mistake I shall not be repeating with the Wii U.

I'll give it time to establish itself before making a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Not going to have the money to buy it at launch and don't get enough use out of the Wii to justify it. Might see how it goes, see if I ever get Skyward Sword finished and see if maybe it's time I grew up and put aside childish things that take up space under the TV (in favour of childish things that fit in my pocket and have Pokemon titles on them :) )

Day one. :pac:

Along with the GBA, GC, DS, Wii + 3DS...it'd feel wrong not to :P
    Hoping for a strong launch lineup as well....:o

It's looking good so far, and a couple of possible eShop titles been semi-confirmed which should help fill any void which may exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not at launch for me. I've got enough of a backlog as it is. And think last time I bought anything game related at launch was Skyward Sword. Before that, I can't remember.

Of course maybe if I'm good, Santa will bring it to me. :)

Day 1 for me for sure! Not even a little bit of doubt
    Was the same with my DS, Wii and 3DS
    I know there'll be at least a couple of launch titles that I'll want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Edited my post with this:

Also, what games would you like to see at the launch, keep in mind that Zelda 'HD' wont happen for a few years.

Looking forward to NSMBmii, Darksiders 2 wonder what they will do with the touchpad/controller. Really wanna see RE6 on the WiiU but doubt it will be there at launch.
    Maybe Super Mario Galaxy 3, Metroid. There will be ports but they will be of games only out a little while, which I'm cool with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As for games, as much as people roll their eyes at "Oh sure they'll just put the map down there and that's it", I remember playing Arkham City on PS3 and thinking "Wouldn't it be great if had the map handy to look at so I didn't have to keep going into the map screen to make sure I'm going in the right direction"

Metroid, the new Retro title(which I hope is Metroid), 3D Mario.

Timesplitters 4 :)

Advertisement