Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^I delete things from gmail. They are gone.
    Big fan of inbox zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

mickstupp wrote: »
    ^I delete things from gmail. They are gone.
    Big fan of inbox zero.

yeah, good luck with that....

at least once a day I need to search my email to find some old but now relevant information that was sent to me.

I think of it like this, do you burn all your post after you read it?
    no, but you do dispose of the unimportant stuff in less dramatic way.
    But some of it you keep in case you need it later.

Places I've worked in have kept a large amount of institutional knowledge in their in-boxes.

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    yeah, good luck with that....

at least once a day I need to search my email to find some old but now relevant information that was sent to me.
    I don't have to search my mail for anything. I deal with things as they come in. No need to archive anything but the essay drafts I mail to a dedicated account. I've been doing inbox zero for two years very happily. I've had a gmail account for just under ten years and never had a problem deleting anything. It works just fine for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't have to search my mail for anything. I deal with things as they come in. No need to archive anything but the essay drafts I mail to a dedicated account. I've been doing inbox zero for two years very happily. I've had a gmail account for just under ten years and never had a problem deleting anything. It works just fine for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Try this, delete an email and it will be in your deleted folder, then delete it from the bin and then search for the same email and it will show up in all mail then delete it again and you will still be able to find it.

Personally I keep my inbox empty, anything important has a folder. I'm starting to like Gmail less, I prefer live mail and yahoo mail is even better for its simplicity but for some reason it's really slow and sometimes hangs when changing between mails.

You are a bit,
    let me try and explain it like this. You start working in a company and one day you go to use the photocopier and it goes crazy, then your co-worker Bob walks over and helps you by showing you exactly where to kick it. Bob is the only person who knows this but now you do too.

6 months later Bob has moved on to better things and now its back down to only one person in the whole company knowing how to fix the photocopier.

This seems like a silly situation, but when you work in a software company it is likely that there isn't one programmer who knows everything about how your product really works. Some stuff was written by someone who left and nobody else really knows how his bits work.

Usually when you have to solve this mystery at some point, you'll need to chase co-workers down for information. An email with clues or specs or a UML diagram is something I hang onto. I don't bother filing it away. Search can usually find it faster then I can.

If an email is something that requires action, I stick it on a to-do list and get on with it. An empty inbox isn't that appealing to me.

• Advertisement

@Alt_Grrr - no I don't think that's a silly example at all. I know exactly what it's like working in software companies. Obviously, deleting things like I do in my personal account would be a daft thing to do in work. But for my personal account... never had a problem. But then I've never used my personal account for work.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Try this, delete an email and it will be in your deleted folder, then delete it from the bin and then search for the same email and it will show up in all mail then delete it again and you will still be able to find it.
    All I can think is that if you really believe you can't delete a mail from gmail, then you're doing it wrong, or you and I have very different settings in our accounts. Just as a test, I sent (from my nuim address) a mail with the subject line Deletiontestasd123, simply because it's a combination of letters I've never had in there before. Into gmail, there's the weird mail, delete. As you say, it goes straight to Trash. Delete it from there, and that's it. No more mail. Search for the subject line, no joy. It simply does not exist in All Mail.

It's probably more long-winded if it's a mail sent from your gmail account, as then it has multiple labels attached, and possibly even more long-winded still if it's a few messages in a conversation. But still... I have a ten year old gmail account that I use for pretty much everything, and it's 0.14GB of 15GB used. Not sure what you're doing differently, but deleting works just fine here..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I dont know if finding a house is as great as when I found out I passed all my Semester 1 exams or even better <3<3<3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Dammit, now you guys have me worried about finding a house next year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

deise_girl wrote: »
    I dont know if finding a house is as great as when I found out I passed all my Semester 1 exams or even better <3<3<3

YOU GIVE ME 2 ROOMS I GIVE YOU DOLLA

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

YOU GIVE ME 2 ROOMS I GIVE YOU DOLLA

It was only through a friend, knowing a friend who knew a friend looking for 2 people to live with them that we got this. I havnt even seen the house but I just need a roof so Ill take it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 zerox88

Anyone know if lectures are on tomorrow? It's a bank holiday but the website doesn't seem to mention if it's open or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

zerox88 wrote: »
    Anyone know if lectures are on tomorrow? It's a bank holiday but the website doesn't seem to mention if it's open or not.

Nope, no lectures tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The one thing that worries me about next year, above all else, is whether I'll be able to get a job over the summer in order to afford somewhere to rent, never mind being able to find a room.

The one thing that worries me about next year, above all else, is whether I'll be able to get a job over the summer in order to afford somewhere to rent, never mind being able to find a room.

that's an issue too! but rooms are ridiculously difficult to come by this year

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

Is the entire place closing down tomorrow like the departments etc? Is that the end of it?

Probably a silly question but I'm a final year student who is late on a couple of important assignments as it is and I'm about to go off my rocker completely. :(

Ravanelli wrote: »
    Is the entire place closing down tomorrow like the departments etc? Is that the end of it?

Probably a silly question but I'm a final year student who is late on a couple of important assignments as it is and I'm about to go off my rocker completely. :(
    Tomorrow, yes, it's Saturday. For the summer? No. Most lecturers should be around most of the time over the summer, except when they're on holidays. They may not be in the office full days, but they'll be around. The departmental secretaries should all be around too.

Contrary to what you read in the Irish Independent, Universities are usually quite busy during the summer, but you would never be able to tell from the look of the place.

If your looking to meet with a lecturer then you should email ahead and try and get an appointment. If you go knocking on doors you have no guarantee that they will be there, so save yourself the bother before you travel up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I HATE INTERGRATION MATHS

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hate Psychology

(this is a fun game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I hate that my co-mod can't get Domino's delivered to Maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Thwip! wrote: »
    I hate that my co-mod can't get Domino's delivered to Maynooth

As does your Co-Mod!

It started out with me offering a code for discount on Domino's Pizza, but it became...so much more

804917.jpg

I tried to screenshot it all. Not worth it.

All I'm saying is 115 notifications.

You're both getting mixed reviews on Tickld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I could have gotten more...

Thwip! wrote: »
    You're both getting mixed reviews on Tickld

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I HATE INTERGRATION MATHS

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wanna swap for Biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Clinky link?

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    I could have gotten more...

Only in a supermarket

Advertisement