Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whatever about the Government's rebranding, I don't think that renaming this thread is such a good idea.

At least 95% of this thread has been about the proposed metro line between the city centre and is Swords, via the airport.

Yet there still much to be discussed about other potential metro projects, like the continuation of the first line (if it happens), and possible other metro lines. If Dublin builds the first stage it is unlikely that it is going to stop there and it will become like many other cities, with a second metro line and possibly a third.

I think this thread should remain the place solely for discussion of the city-Swords metro section.

This thread is about the Metro North scheme, which after being revised, is now being renamed Dublin Metro both for optics and as it will expand from SSG down to Sandyford.

If you have an issue with this, report the post.
    That's barely ahead of inflation.

The 2.4bn cost announced in 2015, I would hope, accounts for the fact that it wasn't to start until 2021.
    cojamocork wrote: »
    Seeing report of the Metro being extended South to Sandyford. Does this mean it'll take over the Luas Green Line out from town? Wondering where that leaves Bride's Glen services - will they just terminate at Sandyford? Will the Luas to Cabra start out on a limb in Charlemont?

The line at Brides Glen is to be extended to Bray. I'd imagine Sandyford-Bray services as Luas with Metro from Sandyford.
    fionnsci wrote: »
    To be clear, are we expecting a route announcement along with this development plan today?

I wouldn't imagine so other than a vague routing. Full details should be out towards the end of Q1.
    bk wrote: »
    I assume that includes tying into the Green Line and upgrading it to Metro standard. 600 million to likely triple the capacity of the Green line, open up space and capacity for 10's of thousands of new apartments along the line, plus a bit for inflation too, seems like good value to me.

Also I saw mention in one of the report of 4 new Luas lines, but no details! I assume extensions, but would be interesting to see more.

Luas Lucan/Poolbeg on the red line and Finglas/Bray on the Green Line. Planning funding only up to 2027 but that could be revised.
    The 4 "new lines" were Lucan, Finglas, Bray and Poolbeg. I read it in one of the news reports this morning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is now known as "Metro Link" and I have updated the thread title to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

http://www.metrolink.ie/

METROLINK is a new Metro public transport service for Dublin City which forms a core part of the Governments Capital Investment Plan - 2040. METROLINK will provide a fully segregated, high speed, high frequency, modern and efficient public transport solution for passengers travelling in the Swords / City centre / Sandyford corridor. The scheme with an overall length of 26 kilometres, will serve key designations along its route including Swords, Dublin Airport, Dublin City Centre, Dundrum and Sandyford. It is intended that the scheme will commence construction in 2021 and will be open to passenger services by 2026/27.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Why in the conceptual images on that website is there bridges at Chapelizod & Liffey Valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is this replacing the green line?

• Advertisement

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Nice to see them getting more miles out of those Metro West conceptual images.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is this replacing the green line?
    From Charlemont/Ranelagh to Sandyford, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so will passengers from Cherrywood (and some time in the distant future, Bray) have to change at Sandyford for the city? Not sure that's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

hmmm wrote: »
    Why in the conceptual images on that website is there bridges at Chapelizod & Liffey Valley?

These would have been part of the long dead Metro West. Mental.

The two carriages in the image have Dardistown and Tallaght West on their destination boards... also former Metro West stops!!!

Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VeryOwl

Sad to think all we've achieved in the eight years since this thread was started is renaming Metro North to Metro Link (and wasted millions in the process).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

marno21 wrote: »
    From Charlemont/Ranelagh to Sandyford, yes.

It makes no sense that a tram service, with more frequent stops and lower capacity, should travel further out into the suburbs than a metro with more capacity and - presumably - greater distances between stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Apologies if already discussed... but how is it proposed that the underground metro will climb up on to the green line? By that I mean where will it emerge and what will be it's alignment to connect at Charlemont? Is there any open space for this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

loyatemu wrote: »
    so will passengers from Cherrywood (and some time in the distant future, Bray) have to change at Sandyford for the city? Not sure that's progress.

It's progress when
    A) The pressure is relieved on the 2 spurs
    B) The frequency is higher
    C) The journey time is lower
    D) Spurs are extended

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Apologies if already discussed... but how is it proposed that the underground metro will climb up on to the green line? By that I mean where will it emerge and what will be it's alignment to connect at Charlemont? Is there any open space for this to happen?

If I had to guess, perhaps the tunnel could come above ground at the section where there is already climb up to the Charlemont stop, traveling south. Not sure if there's enough space there. I don't think they've alerted us at to this specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Neworder79 wrote: »

Anyone not able to access the website? Just gives me an error

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VeryOwl

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Anyone not able to access the website? Just gives me an error

Yeah. The website had nothing on it anyway. Just recycled pictures of Metro West and clip art.

Not sure why it was put up in that state.

If I had to guess, perhaps the tunnel could come above ground at the section where there is already climb up to the Charlemont stop, traveling south. Not sure if there's enough space there. I don't think they've alerted us at to this specifically.

Are we talking about a huge TBM emerging from the ground at that point, in close proximity to an apartment block and a small housing estate? :confused:

Are we talking about a huge TBM emerging from the ground at that point, in close proximity to an apartment block and a small housing estate? :confused:
    Huge is a bit of an exxageration.

If there is disruption to those 30 people then so be it. Metro should have priority given what it'll achieve.

marno21 wrote: »
    Huge is a bit of an exxageration.

If there is disruption to those 30 people then so be it. Metro should have priority given what it'll achieve.

Just to point out that I don't live there(I'm over on the Northside), so it won't affect me. But I have strolled in around there out of curiosity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

VeryOwl wrote: »
    Sad to think all we've achieved in the eight years since this thread was started is renaming Metro North to Metro Link (and wasted millions in the process).
    It's achieved the same as this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 SeamusHollahan

So guys, dont know what to make of the metro link plan. Do you think it will deviate quite considerably from the last route map produced in 2015? I've not heard a mention of the northwood stop..just talks about swords, balymun DCU? Do you think it has been dropped?
    Cheers
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is there any word on whether its staying underground from SSG all the way to the airport or is it surfacing at DCU/Ballymun?

Consonata wrote: »
    Is there any word on whether its staying underground from SSG all the way to the airport or is it surfacing at DCU/Ballymun?

Rumors suggest all the way to the airport but nothing official

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

There were a few comments in this thread about the use of Tara St as a potential connection between Dart and Metrolink.

Reading the Irish Times Article i noticed this sentence:
    The current proposed route for the metro will see it cross the Liffey west of the Luas cross city line.

I appreciate that the specific details of the route are not yet known but this would suggest that Tara St will not be a connection.

I dont know where that statement came from or who said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'd imagine the TBM would emerge in the Iveagh Gardens, it doesn't need to go the whole way to the portal.

Can't see how they'd have a tunnel portal in Charlemont without severing the link to the existing Luas though. Will be an interesting design challenge. I believe a Jacobs Engineering and Idom JV have won the contract. Also Jacobs are due to merge with Ch2m who have already bought Halcrow. So that is a lot of international experience available with a significant Irish presence. I must polish my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It says the tunnel on the Southside will be built under the existing LUAS tracks.

Essentially this is duplicating infrastructure, and I'm not sure what purpose the existing LUAS from Sandyford will fill once the Metro is in operation. I appreciate the LUAS has capacity problems.

Why are we not building this on a different alignment, and running a feeder from the LUAS if needs be?

It says the tunnel on the Southside will be built under the existing LUAS tracks.

I think this just means around the SSG section in order to get the alignment right. The Luas past Sandyford will become 2 separate lines as can be seen in the map above

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Essentially this is duplicating infrastructure, and I'm not sure what purpose the existing LUAS from Sandyford will fill once the Metro is in operation.

Only overlap from O'Connell St to Stephens Green, it will overground past Charlemont as the existing Green Line will be upgraded to the "Metro" standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How many more plans does this metro need?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the TBM would emerge in the Iveagh Gardens, it doesn't need to go the whole way to the portal.

Can't see how they'd have a tunnel portal in Charlemont without severing the link to the existing Luas though. Will be an interesting design challenge. I believe a Jacobs Engineering and Idom JV have won the contract. Also Jacobs are due to merge with Ch2m who have already bought Halcrow. So that is a lot of international experience available with a significant Irish presence. I must polish my CV.

If it emerged(lifted in/out) of a big hole in Iveagh Gardens, how would they cut and cover down to Charlemont? The south side of Hatch Street has newly built office blocks on it. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement