Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open Garmin handheld gpsmap 72/76

Options
  • 22-03-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Any manage to open a garmin handheld gpsmap 72/76?

76.gif

Had a battery leak and I'd like to make an attempt to clean with vinger and cotton buds. I know likelihood of success is slim and outdated technology now but I'd like to give it a go.

I've taken screws out but can't seem to separate the front and back panel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

49801 wrote: »
    Any manage to open a garmin handheld gpsmap 72/76?

76.gif

Had a battery leak and I'd like to make an attempt to clean with vinger and cotton buds. I know likelihood of success is slim and outdated technology now but I'd like to give it a go.

I've taken screws out but can't seem to separate the front and back panel.

Can you remove the rubber band from the device? If you can it might reveal some plastic notches that you have to push in before you can remove the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Got it open eventually.
    Pushed a small screw driver into each screw hole and after a few attempts the two halves pushed apart. No retaining clips or rubbers stoping the two haves coming apart.
    Had to unscrew several screw while they were upside down to get them out.

Once opened I was quite encouraged that there had been no internal leakage.
    So just spent several hours with cotton buds, small flat head screw driver and vinager cleaning the battery compartment. Was quite fun watching the crud fizzing with the vinager.

Only thing is I managed to break one of the battery connectors. Feel quite silly about it. :(

So now looking for something in the house that would be a bodge or online for something.:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Tinfoil works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fergal.b wrote: »
    Tinfoil works well.

This.

When connectors have lost their spring I've often stuffed the gap with tinfoil, works a treat.

Also, if after all your efforts it still doesn't work, you can send it back to Garmin and for a standard fee (can't remember what it is, but a lot less than a new unit) they'll recondition it for you and send it back as new.

I smashed the screen in our Garmin off a winch, and did this - had an as-new one back within about two weeks.

Would prefer to avoid tin foil and not sure it will work in this instance.

Photo 1 is a look inside main compartment. I moved the button pad to inspect and all looked ok. Was just fixed with double sided tape

Photo 2 is outside both haves

Photo 3 is a close up of the battery compartment that I spent the afternoon cleaning.

This unit has been out of production for a long time so not sure garmin would want to know. Besides I kinda feel I've done the worst part of it now as is is just a question of sorting the battery terminals.

I've not had any luck sourcing spares yet so I might try and drop it into a electrical repair type place for the contact and solder. Guessing it should only be €20

Plan is to use Vaseline to reveal but won't do that in the short term

• Advertisement

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You could try radionics.ie

Well all working again.
    Brought it to a electronics place to get the solder work done. Yes paid them far too much and should of just bought an iron myself but anyway you live and learn.

I re sealed with Vaseline on the perimeter and screw tops.
    Most annoyingly the shop opened the case and when putting back together put long screws in the short holes bursting out the plastic a little :mad:.
    I'll put a drop of andradite or something onto them just in case but not going to worry about it.

Still delighted it is working again though as too replace would be very expensive.

Lesson learned...
    1 Remove battery's
    2 battery leaks can be solved

• Advertisement
Advertisement