Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local & Regional Newspapers

• 07-09-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

They're always good for a laugh... I was reading the Western People earlier today when I was in Castlebar & this story put a smile on my face...

"Shirtless Man Ran Up Street Claiming He 'Ran' the Town"

A shirtless man who ran up a main street in Castlebar shouting that he 'ran the town' has been prosecuted for a breach of the Public Order Act.

In court, he apologised to the judge & claimed that he was drunk, adding that "one man couldn't run this town alone".

A €300 fine was imposed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

SlasherMcGurk is a mad fcuker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Since when is that an arrestable offence. Who or what did he harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Who or what did he harm?
    Or when?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

If he was drunk, that's an offence as far as I know (just not often enforced).

If he was causing a lot of noise at night in a residential area, that's an offence as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's an offence to be intoxicated in a public place.

Though, if that law was invoked to the letter of the law, half the country would be behind bars at the weekend. Instead of in bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Breach of the peace, drunk and disorderly and maybe even indecent exposure. If they can't get you on one of those then the public order act 1994 probably has a subsection to suit...

Wertz wrote: »
    Breach of the peace, drunk and disorderly and maybe even indecent exposure. If they can't get you on one of those then the public order act 1994 probably has a subsection to suit...

Section 5(i) is a great one...

Section 5(i) of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 makes it an offence for anyone in a public place to engage in offensive conduct:

* Between the hours of 12 o’clock midnight and 7 o’clock in the morning next following;

And if that doesn't get you caught - this one will...

* Or at any time, after having been requested by a member of An Garda Siochana to desist.

Talk about random.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The Tullamore Tribune is always good for a laugh. Last week they mentioned the world famous designer, Calvin Kline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I love the Western People and Connaught Telegraph.

Headline is usually "Man Tells Garda to F*** Off" :D

The article will then go into detail, the defending barrister assuring the judge that even though it was his clients 17th offence, that it was completely out of character for his client to behave this way.

One that sticks in my mind is "Man Was Giving up Drink That Day - Court Told" Priceless.

I brought the Western People home with me today - just popped out to the car to get it. Here's some of the headlines;

"Chef Ordered to Pay €200 to Mayo Mountain Rescue"

"Westport Man Breaches Bail Terms to Go Out With Girlfriend"

"Man Drove Through Lights"

"Man Pushed Hand Into Woman's Face"

...and the best one of the lot....

"Barechested Fighter Did Not Know Who His Opponent Was"

Ye can't bate it wit a schtick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I used to work in an advertising telesales office many moons ago. We used to buy all the local papers to hound the people that advertised in them, to advertise with us.

Anyway, we renamed a white board the ugly board and got a great laugh out of taping up photos of very ugly people from the local papers.

Ugly people have a great knack of getting their photo in the local rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Anyway, we renamed a white board the ugly board and got a great laugh out of taping up photos of very ugly people from the local papers.

You are a very nice person.

I used to work in an advertising telesales office many moons ago. We used to buy all the local papers to hound the people that advertised in them, to advertise with us.

Yet another reason to hate telesales people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You are a very nice person.

In my defence, it started out as one exceptionally ugly person, and developed.

I also lasted about 2 weeks - I was too damn good for that place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

The Mayo News is great for it as well, such as...
    0de8d_SEX_OFFENDER_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Kasabian wrote: »
    SlasherMcGurk is a mad fcuker :pac:

'twas all in the name of good fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Two genuine headlines from The Argus in Dundalk

Gardai and Firemen Stoned

Jobs Blow for Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Mark200 wrote: »
    If he was drunk, that's an offence as far as I know (just not often enforced).

If he was causing a lot of noise at night in a residential area, that's an offence as far as I know.

Technically his claim regarding "running" the town could also be construed an an usurpation of legitimate Government which would come under the offences against the state act ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Yet another belmullet.jpg

(Grr why aren't these embedding?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Yet another belmullet.jpg
    Shenanigans !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ahh I remember a few years ago in my local paper the main story was about the guards finding a bunch of weed down the road.
    They just stood there in the photo beside all of it looking so happy and smug, like they finally got to bust someone.:pac:

Ah it was great, I'll try find it in the archives or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I seen in our local paper,a story about a Midget peadophile,the story was located next to a page for a beautiful baby competition.....

Also the Headline: Man beats friend with frying pan a digeridoo"

And local youth who nearly crashed into a cow left his car and "threatened to get the cow" He then proceeded to run the cow over and drove through a hedge with the cow on the bonnet of the car before coming to a stop. :confused:

Donegal never fails to surprise me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i remember the sun when pat the baker died.
    the article read 'pat the baker is brown bread'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My local paper has proved disappointing in the comedy stakes this week, there was this beauty though;

"Mystery bus stop has passengers baffled"

From further afield;
    "Maniac begins botched killing spree by turning gun on self"

Advertisement